PDA

View Full Version : Expats in India?

CyberForensicWriter
10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
There seems to be a shortage of us but I always look wherever I can. Anyone else in here living in India currently? Would love to touch base and swap ideas on managing an international freelance writer business. I'm a newbie I must admit and I'm just finding my way through but maybe we can swap ideas for what works and what doesn't.

L M Ashton
10-28-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't know about AW expats in India, but there are quite a few people on AW who are in India. Hopefully they'll stop by. :) I do know expats living in India, but they're not writers, so that doesn't help.

I'm a Canadian expat living in Sri Lanka, but I'm not working on freelance writing, so I don't have many suggestions for you.

Simran
10-30-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't know about AW expats in India, but there are quite a few people on AW who are in India. Hopefully they'll stop by. :) I do know expats living in India, but they're not writers, so that doesn't help.

I'm a Canadian expat living in Sri Lanka, but I'm not working on freelance writing, so I don't have many suggestions for you.

You are a hoot Laurie! :-) Just to add to this...I wish I was in India. Does that help any?

aruna
10-30-2011, 12:47 PM
I wish I was in India too! I plan to be an expat living in India at some point. My son is going ot be an expat in India from Monday onwards. He wants to raise his family there, at least for the first few years.
We all love India. Our problem is, India does not grant visas for longer than 6 months. The exception: USA! This is our greatest problem, actually. What nationality are you, FCW? Do you plan to get a busienss visa? That seems to be the only thing that might work!

L M Ashton
10-30-2011, 02:26 PM
I know Sri Lankans who've managed visas to India to work and live. Hmm, I wonder what they did? Although, honestly, laws in this region can be a bit strange to us westerners...

aruna
10-30-2011, 07:03 PM
I think we may be able to get employment visas -- just checked again, and it seems if you can get sponsored by a charity as an unpaid volunteer you can get an employment visa. We know a couple of charities there and my son does want to work for onw anyway. But -- he also needs to earn money. :(

CyberForensicWriter
11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I've been here 10 months but I filed for the extension with the FRRO and got a residence permit. They aren't too strict with these as long as you get your paperwork in order and don't waste their time when you seek approval for it from the Ministry of Home Affairs.

I'm a US citizen by birth. If you plan to stay here I definitely recommend the larger cities like Delhi or Mumbai depending on the lifestyle you want to lead. Mumbai has the worst monsoon issues and Delhi has the biggest crime rate which are the only real downsides. Other than that there's also Bangalore, all 3 cities are the best for expats. Pune is good too. I'm stuck in Amritsar which is not bad but lacks in so many things that a westerner thrives on. It's like a large city with a small town mentality which makes it nice, but I miss the socialization opportunities I would have in metro cities here.

CyberForensicWriter
11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Oh, and if you overstay the visa - even with permission - you have to obtain an exit permit before you can leave. That also requires approval from the MHA and more paperwork with the FRRO. Then you have to stay out of India for 2 months before returning or get a waiver to come back sooner. A business visa would definitely give you more flexibility than a tourist visa or entry visa, with those you can stay longer than 6 months and only have to leave for one day which means you can take a quick vaca to Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, or any one of a number of small countries that are fabulous and cheap!

aruna
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
CFW: US citizens have advantages in the India Visa department other nationalities don't have. We cannot get the visa extensions you speak of. I don;t know why you folk get such preferential treatment, but you do!

The place I will go to is in Tamil Nadu. I would never want to live in an Indian city. I really, really detest Indian cities (cities in gerneral, in fact0! Madras used to be wonderful in the 70's but it's changed beyond recognition - now a place to avoid. Thank goodness, the airport is on the south side of the city, en route to my "home", so I never have to go there again.

CyberForensicWriter
11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Hmm...that is odd aruna and I didn't know that. I know Australians here, Swiss citizens, South Africans and a German that all go the same privileged but of course those are all large countries as well. I did notice though that they divide up the countries here (at the MHA office) into 4 categories so it makes sense they have different rules. They make different rules for everyone here which is so hard to get used to.

ncochrane3
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
I wish I was as well :) Will be returning to India for 6 weeks this July.

aruna
02-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey, I plan to go in July as well! But first I am going to Guyana (in March). ANd I have checked the Indian Embassy website there, and they offer 5-year India visas, so I'll apply for it there. I don't know if I'll get it with my German passport but it's worth a try.

I also have a secret plan to somehow wangle an interview with the Indian Ambassador and get him to help me -- somehow.