Siphoning fuel from a small airplane

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
My characters find themselves at a small, public airport--two short runways and a couple recreational, piston-engine planes (say, Cessna 172s or 152s, though this can be altered as the story requires).

If they want to siphon the avgas from these airplanes, what would be the best way to go about it? Would it be as simple as opening the overwing gas caps and siphoning it out? A related question: do small airports carry siphoning equipment, or would the characters have to obtain tubing, and if so, what appropriate tubing could they cannibalize from the plane itself to use in siphoning?

Or would it be more practical to slowly drain gas from the underwing fuel sumps?

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use the sumps. Especially if they have to be furtive about it...seeing a couple of guys on step ladders pulling fuel out of the tanks might arouse suspicion.

Any reason why they can't just use the fuel truck to get some fuel?

JayMan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Noah Body.

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting, and there's nobody to hide from, so they need not be furtive!

For the story's sake, let's say there is no fuel truck present.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how fast avgas goes funky, but having just read a post-apocalyptic novel where the protagonist, fifteen or more years after the apocalyptic event, is able to use regular gas for a car, I have a concern for you.

Problem is some of the compounds in gas break down in months, and after less than a couple of years, gas is no longer usable. When I was on the fire department, we'd throw out the gas in the chainsaws and things like that every three months. And no one wanted to add it to their cars. And this is with stabilizers added.

So how long does avgas hold up? Because a gummed up engine at 2,000 feet is probably not a fun experience.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

JayMan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again Noah, that simplifies things for my purposes.

And that's an interesting point Jim. My story takes place only six months after the event. Also, none of the characters knows how to fly; they're taking the gas for use in an SUV. If my research is correct, this will eventually foul up the catalytic converter, but they're only looking for a short term solution to avoid having to walk for the time being.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again Noah, that simplifies things for my purposes.

And that's an interesting point Jim. My story takes place only six months after the event. Also, none of the characters knows how to fly; they're taking the gas for use in an SUV. If my research is correct, this will eventually foul up the catalytic converter, but they're only looking for a short term solution to avoid having to walk for the time being.

I'd buy that.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

JonathanBenway

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jonathanbenway.com
100LL would have a shelf life of at least a year, maybe two.

It would screw up the catalytic converter on a car designed for unleaded, but the big problem would be that it'd foul up the O2 sensor. The car's ECU would think it's running rich and lean out the mixture. You can ruin an O2 sensor in as little as a few hours on leaded fuel.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Problem is some of the compounds in gas break down in months, and after less than a couple of years, gas is no longer usable.
It really depends how it is stored. If there is little airspace above the fuel (i.e. a full tank) and no moisture in it, then it can last for ages.
When I was on the fire department, we'd throw out the gas in the chainsaws and things like that every three months.
It was probably a two-stroke mix which has a much shorter shelf-life than petrol.

An alternative might be to consider a diesel-engined vehicle and to top it up with jet fuel.