POD success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewel101

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who has successfully published POD style please answer these question ASAP. Please, this is really important.

• How did you publish? self, agent, or unsolicited?
  • How did you find your publisher/agent?
  • How long did it take you to find your agent( if one)? publisher? total?
  • Was this your first book published? How many have you written total?
  • What sort of investments did you make to your book(s) on the shelf, if any?
  • How many times were you rejected? What kind of rejections? Constructive?
  • What were your expectations of the publishing process? What did you expect
  • Is there anything else you’d like to share that I haven’t asked? Any part of the journey that stuck to mind?
Thank you for your time

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Define "successful" as you understand the term. Do you mean:

1) You have a copy in your hands?

2) You've made back the money that you invested on the profits from sales?

3) You've made back MORE than the money you invested on the profits from sales?

4) You could quit your day job on the profits from sales?

Jewel101

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy C said:
Define "successful" as you understand the term. Do you mean:

1) You have a copy in your hands?

2) You've made back the money that you invested on the profits from sales?

3) You've made back MORE than the money you invested on the profits from sales?

4) You could quit your day job on the profits from sales?

quite frankly, i don't care. All of the above.

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
Some success with POD publishing ... I think!

• How did you publish? self, agent, or unsolicited? Self. I formed a sole proprietorship, obtained a business checking account, and purchased a block of ISBN numbers.
  • How did you find your publisher/agent? See above.
  • How long did it take you to find your agent( if one)? publisher? total? See above.
  • Was this your first book published? How many have you written total? This is the first that's "all mine", I did work for hire in the same field (medical reference) in the 1990s.
  • What sort of investments did you make to your book(s) on the shelf, if any? ISBN block purchase, POD setup fees, business license -- less than $500. I didn't have to pay to put books on the shelves, and don't know if any are on the shelves.
  • How many times were you rejected? None. What kind of rejections? Constructive?

• What were your expectations of the publishing process? What did you expect Pretty much what I got ... I studied it for a long time first.

• Is there anything else you’d like to share that I haven’t asked? Any part of the journey that stuck to mind?
Hi Jewel101! I don't know if these answers will be relevant to your project, since mine is medical reference. Although I don't have the official sales figures yet from Lightning Source (the printer/distributor), today I found this page which gives me some idea of how my book is selling: http://tinyurl.com/b7fo4

I did the typesetting and the cover myself. The typesetting wasn't a problem since I used to work in that field. The cover was more of a challenge, but it turned out very nicely, and you can see a better image of it at my main website at http://www.medicalese.org .

I burned everything to CD & mailed it to Lightning on 11/17/05 and signed off on the proof copy on 11/29/05.

I don't know how many books I have on the shelves at brick-and-mortar stores. Right now, I can't get the car out of the driveway to go look!

Good luck!

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Jewel, your questions are non-questions. If you pod you don't have an agent. Your books won't ever see a bookstore shelf. And you'll never get rejected.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Jewel101 said:
quite frankly, i don't care. All of the above.

What way do you want to measure success? How much money you make? How many people read your book? Or is the fact that you actually wrote the book and had it printed and bound enough success?

The great philosopher Yogi Berra once gave ou a warning that you ought to pay attention to: "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
MadScientistMatt said:
The great philosopher Yogi Berra once gave ou a warning that you ought to pay attention to: "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

I like that. I like that a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.