Life's loose ends - a little something fun

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
When I was a kid, we were very poor. I started working at age fifteen, six days a week and we still ate ketchup on crackers for dinner sometimes.

My senior year in high school, I began squirreling away loose change and the odd dollar, because I really, really, really wanted my senior yearbook, class ring, and class key.

I placed the order and saved like mad. The total bill came to just under $130 - a veritable fortune. In May, when the shipment came in and the final payment was due, I was $8 short. I don't know what was wrong with me, but it never occurred to me to ask a teacher or a friend if they could spot me eight bucks. I never even tried to claim my order.

A few years ago, they completely renovated my high school. In a storage closet, there were new yearbooks, extras and unclaimed, from the 1970s all the way through to the early '00s. Someone who still lives in my hometown, took all the books off their hands.

She posted notice of it on Facebook and there was one 1987 yearbook in the bunch, presumably the one I never claimed. I sent her a message, but someone else had reserved it just a few minutes before me. But she never picked it up.

So, this morning, I got a note. After all these years, I'll at least be getting my high school yearbook. Cool, huh?

Now we'll see if my husband divorces me when he sees my senior picture. If it's as bad as I remember, he just might.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now you'll have to have all your old friends write silly stuff in your yearbook.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, it'll be weird to have a pristine book now that nearly twenty-five years have passed, but it will be quite fun to remember all their faces.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Life's funny, the way it throws things back at you. This week I've been unpacking boxes that have been in storage ten years and longer. Old photos, olf cassettes, memories. I remember the terrible complex I had about my looks -- I thought I was really, really ugly and nobody ( ie boy!) would ever look at me. And of course they didn't. Now, the photos tell me that ugliness was all in the mind.

This of course has nothing to do with your post! Just throwing it out there -- going back to the past and realising how easy life could have been if only we'd KNOWN, etc.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice story! I remember looking at my brother's yearbook (he was 5 years older) and thinking "Man! I'm going to have so much fun in high school!" I got to high school and hated it. Now I look at my yearbook and say "Man, I could have had so much fun in high school."

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a goofy idea. Let's start a year book chainmail signing thingy.

We get it, sign it (something silly of course) and then mail it to the next AW member on the list (of your choice obviously). Once it's filled up, it gets mailed back to you after the last person signs it.

It would be interesting to see how long it takes to get filled up until it gets back to you. (It would have to be packaged carefully so that it didn't get damaged during its long trip of course).

Of course, if it got lost in the mail....nevermind. Maybe that's not such a good idea. Or mail it to old classmates and ask them to sign it and then send it back? Might be fun.