My character was bitten by another human; how would a doctor find this out?

pinkrobot

I poke badgers with spoons
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
(Kind of gross. You've been warned.) My MC had a great deal of skin torn off by another human being's mouth. When she wakes up in the hospital she has no recollection of what happened. Is there a way the doctor could come to the conclusion that it was a human bite wound?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Human teeth are pretty specific looking and the marks they make are very recognisable.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, what the rainbow-pooping unicorn said. They are so distinguishable that doctors can tell human bite marks even when they haven't broken the skin, just left a mark.

I know this because there was a weird local child-abuse case several months back where one of the parents had bitten a child numerous times all over. So sad :(

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It is pretty easy to tell a human bite from an animal bite. Totally different shape.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Human bites are easily detected/identified, and residual DNA is almost always recovered. Thus, confirmation of a human assailant is fairly conclusive.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a mum who used to help out in a playgroup, the marks made by human teeth are really very distinctive even when all you have are a few dents/bruises and you are not a medical expert.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is tempted (as I was) to repeat the urban legend that the most common source of rabies in humans is the bite of another human, check your sources. Bats are the most common wild animal to give people rabies, and cats are the most common domestic animal. Off topic I know but interesting.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
In many cases, if the bit mark is clean, its just like a set a fingerprints for when they find the culprit...