PDA

View Full Version : My character was bitten by another human; how would a doctor find this out?

pinkrobot
10-26-2011, 03:37 AM
(Kind of gross. You've been warned.) My MC had a great deal of skin torn off by another human being's mouth. When she wakes up in the hospital she has no recollection of what happened. Is there a way the doctor could come to the conclusion that it was a human bite wound?

Drachen Jager
10-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Yeah. Human teeth are pretty specific looking and the marks they make are very recognisable.

FabricatedParadise
10-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Yep, what the rainbow-pooping unicorn said. They are so distinguishable that doctors can tell human bite marks even when they haven't broken the skin, just left a mark.

I know this because there was a weird local child-abuse case several months back where one of the parents had bitten a child numerous times all over. So sad :(

mirandashell
10-26-2011, 08:11 PM
It is pretty easy to tell a human bite from an animal bite. Totally different shape.

ironmikezero
10-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Human bites are easily detected/identified, and residual DNA is almost always recovered. Thus, confirmation of a human assailant is fairly conclusive.

skylark
10-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Speaking as a mum who used to help out in a playgroup, the marks made by human teeth are really very distinctive even when all you have are a few dents/bruises and you are not a medical expert.

Chris P
10-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Just in case anyone is tempted (as I was) to repeat the urban legend that the most common source of rabies in humans is the bite of another human, check your sources (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/rabies/article_em.htm). Bats are the most common wild animal to give people rabies, and cats are the most common domestic animal. Off topic I know but interesting.

thothguard51
10-28-2011, 12:49 AM
In many cases, if the bit mark is clean, its just like a set a fingerprints for when they find the culprit...