Strangest thing you've found in your referal logs?

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
I use a counter on one of my blogs, from Sitemeter.com. One useful feature is that it keeps track of what link people who visit my page have followed. In the case of search engines, I can see what terms people searched for to find my blog. In some cases, I'll bet they were disappoined. For example, the people who searched for "scientist pictures" were probably disappointed that none of my pictures show me doing actual science (even though I do sometimes do science experiements as part of my job).

But some of the search strings that people have typed to find my blog have been downright loopy. My personal favorite: The guy who found my blog by going to a search engine and typing "I want pictures" into the search field.

Anyone else care to share strange stories from the referal log? I've got a feeling mine is nothing compared to what veteran site owners have found.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I've seen a few referrals based on google searches of 'dawno' and wondered if they were looking for info on fairy tales or shoes because my user name is apparently a word in folk or fairy tales in either Polish or some other Eastern European language - and a kind of shoe you can get across the pond.

Other than that most of my referrals are either from using the 'go to next blog' feature on Blogger or from a link to my blog that some kind soul has posted in their blog.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Most of mine are based on search engines such as google and yahoo. But so far I think the strangest one I've gotten is someone did a google search for 'stories with andrea name in it'. That just strikes me odd that someone would be looking for stories with andrea in it. Maybe it's just me.

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
I have posted on this before in my blog: here is the entry:

"Google Searches"

Success! Out of 1,010 possible Google examples, my site is ranked number one for the word regirgitate.

Okay people, let's party!!!

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,010 for regirgitate. (0.40 seconds) Anatole69's Xanga Site
[size=-1]However, rather than Just regirgitate my old material, I decided to regirgitate
my old material so It would taste new... so I took The old piece and put It ...
www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=Anatole69&nextdate=5%2F26%2F2005+8%3A5%3A11.447&direction=n - 70k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Edit: I just checked Google and apparently I have fallen in the rankings to number two for regirgitate.

Oh the horror! ;)
[/size]

Last edited:

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
"smells like tuna"

Heh. 'Cause I wrote a post on how my doggie's long ears were soaked in tuna from his bowl; I have a feeling that wasn't what the searcher was looking for. Hehe.

jessicakes

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite one was "jessica burgess is so smart."

The weirdest was probably "crisco party."

The more content you get on your blog, the weirder they get.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Fished another great search string out of my logs this week.

Someone had found CCDining by typing "Why do Greeks like baklava?" (without the quotes) into MSN Search. It might be better to go to a pastry shop to find that answer...

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do you find these weird things you're finding?

Technical Explanation Level One, please.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unique said:
How do you find these weird things you're finding?

Technical Explanation Level One, please.

First, get a tracking service. One of my blogs uses tracksy.com, the other one uses sitemeter.com. You'll have to do a bit of registration, then cut and paste some codes they give you onto your blog.

Then you can go in there and find how they track the hits. On Sitemeter, for example, click on "Referals" after you log in. Then click on any link that starts with a search engine's name. You'll see exactly what the searcher typed in, and on what page they found it.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I use mybloglog.com. You can have either a free account or upgrade. It shows you a list of websites from where your visitors came from before viewing your blog as well as a list of any links they may have clicked on, how many readers, etc. The free account will only let you view the top ten though. You have to upgrade to view them all, unfortunately.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
So far, my "weirdest" has just been "white lies contest." No big surprise since I entered a WHite Lies contest and mentioned it a few times. lol.

Other than that, the weirdness remains to be seen. All I can say is, Bring it on! :D

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone googled "VLOOKUP taught to slow learner" and ended up on my blog. hee hee. I did a post wherein I proclaimed myself the Queen of VLOOKUP after finally figuring it out for myself at work.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I like a feature of my stats program, which charts a person's progress through my site. One person yesterday came in search of Lara Croft doing things most unbecoming of an archeologist, and promptly hung around for an hour reading Journal entries. I'm not sure if it was out of enjoyment, or just hope.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This one was odd (I found this one via "my blog log" and it shows me the most popular links on my blog* as well as where my referrals come from): Google Search: voice alert thermometer williams- sonoma

*the problem is I use my blog as a 'bookmark' site - i.e., I go to my blog and jump to links in my sidebar to check other blogs, sites, etc. That means a 'most popular' link might be one I use alot, not others. I wish that site could filter out my ISP and not count hits from it.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
heh, heh.

I use it for that, too. Does that skew your results?

heh.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I found this one under the referrals for my Ghost Stories blog: "Horses pulled as hard". Not quite sure exactly what they were looking for, but I have a feeling after looking at my blog, they were disappointed.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unique said:
heh, heh.

I use it for that, too. Does that skew your results?

heh.

You use *my* blog that way or your own :)

If you check the details you can tell when you're doing the clicking vs. a visitor. I think it does skew the results. My most popular link is the blogger button in the upper left hand corner that I click to get to my dashboard everytime I want to compose or edit :)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
You use *my* blog that way or your own

Yours, Dawno. Mine doesn't have any links. :) (because I don't know how to do the link thingy):) (and I just 'borrowed' your smilies, too. heh.

reni

Work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Today, someone found my blog using the search term "fevery tired."

They spent quite a good deal of time on my blog, too, which makes me wonder if they found what they were looking for.