PDA

View Full Version : Ira Glass on the importance of persistence.

Drachen Jager
10-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Short kinetic typography video.

http://brassbolts.blogspot.com/2011/10/ira-glass-on-writing.html

Manuel Royal
10-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Intensely annoying though I find Ira Glass, I agree with what he says here. At least, it matches my experience.

Miss Plum
10-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Well, maybe. Glass says your early creative years are discouraging because you can tell your stuff isn't good enough. My experience was that those early years were discouraging because I thought I was the greatest thing since Shakespeare and yet I wasn't getting anywhere.

blacbird
10-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Ditto Miss Plum. I didn't figure out my stuff wasn't good enough until it was way too late. It didn't help that some people in the early days said it was. When it obviously wasn't.

Trust nobody.

caw

Drachen Jager
10-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm always self-conscious about my work. Even though I have a manuscript out on sub with my agent now I constantly fight the urge to go back and work on it because it's not good enough. The one I'm working on right now I have tons of doubts. It seems the further I get the more I doubt my own work.

Jamesaritchie
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I agree with nearly everything he says, and I disagree with nearly everything he says. Writers are not all cut out of the same cloth, and few fit so neatly into any such pattern.

What he says fits some writers perfectly, other writers imperfectly, and many not at all.

I think he's fallen into the trap of, This is how it was for me, so this is how it must be for nearly everyone.

Phaeal
10-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Ira Glass rocks. He's tied with Tom Ashbrook as the NPR personality I most want to be interviewed by. Also Sarah Vowell, because she's an Incredible.