PDA

View Full Version : Funny/Interesting ways couples meet

MonaLeigh
10-25-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm looking for funny or interesting ways couples have met. My characters are two woman (in a relationship) who will be telling my mc how they met. I want it to be funny/ironic, etc.

I keep coming up with cliched ideas or ones that aren't very different. Just thought I'd see if anyone could think of anything funny. :D

Jimayo
10-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Both showed up at the wrong address when they were heading to the same orgy.

Drachen Jager
10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Friends of my parents met while out with a group of friends. He had been taking some fencing lessons, and was bragging about his swordplay skills. She offered to take him on the next day at the gym and thrashed him soundly, turns out she was the Canadian women's champion at the time.

They've been married since forever now.

Bushrat
10-26-2011, 01:19 AM
I was living in a tent the summer I met my future partner. He had heard about it and thought it odd that somebody who had a full-time job and seemed otherwise well adjusted would live in a tent, so he stopped by (I lived in the tent to save on rent money so I could buy my own place - you can save crazy amounts in rent money by doing that, provided you're squatting, or combining it with housesitting).

eventidepress
10-26-2011, 01:41 AM
I met my first serious boyfriend playing a game online, and he played the same game, so we started talking through it...

Other quirky stories I've heard: one of my friends commented to my aunt that her doorman (NYC doorman building) was cute, and my aunt called the doorman and asked him to bring up some beer and hang out... They ended up dating for a year and a half.

One girl met her ex-fiance in a bookstore, when she noticed him reading on the couch and sat down beside him, and he asked what she was reading...

My friend from college met her girlfriend in a yoga class... Another girl met her GF in a werewolf LARP (live-action role-play) game. Oh, and one girl played rugby, and met her gf when our school played theirs (both all-women's colleges) and she tackled her.

... Halloween at my school also involved a lot of crazy drunken making out with people in masks playing spin-the-bottle... know a girl who kissed her roommate by accident, oopsie :D

... I went to an interesting school <.<

Williebee
10-26-2011, 01:47 AM
I picked my wife up on a bus.

That was 29 years ago last week.

Witch_turtle
10-26-2011, 02:26 AM
I had a friend whose parents were set up on a blind date, and I guess it was their only date. Later, she moved halfway across the country, only to discover that he'd coincidentally moved to the exact same city. So they got together again and ended up married :)

LJD
10-26-2011, 07:04 AM
My boyfriend and I did it backwards:
We moved in together.*
Then we met.
Four months later, we started dating.
Three months later, I moved out (to a different city, actually).
*We were in university and the rooms in the house were rented separately.

My parents met at a bar though they hardly drink.

JSDR
10-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I met my significant other because they stole the job position that I was supposed to get promoted to...

L M Ashton
10-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I downloaded a program off the Internet that my now-husband wrote. I was in Canada at the time and he was in Sri Lanka.

I had problems with the program (my lack of knowledge, not bad programming), so went to his forum for help. We then started chatting online since it was easier for him to help me that way.

Two months later - to the day - I landed in Sri Lanka to meet him in person. We were married eight hours later.

That was eight years ago. We're even happier together now than we were then, and we were pretty happy then. :D

Nugus
10-27-2011, 07:01 PM
I met my missus on a blind date. That was twelve years ago, we've been married for five and have two kids.

crunchyblanket
10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I met my husband advertising for a bass player for my band. The band didn't last long, but we stayed together :D

Fruitbat
10-27-2011, 07:23 PM
;)

firedrake
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
I met my husband in a stable yard. I had my mare in the livery part of the yard and my husband was head lad for race horse trainer who rented some boxes at the far end.

He staggered up to me one Sunday afternoon and proudly announced, "I've just drunk a bottle of whiskey."

I was not impressed.

The next morning I watched him get on a filly who'd been on box rest for several weeks. She was skittish as all get-out and clattered out fo the stable full of piss and vinegar while the future Mr. Firedrake (who was horribly hungover) sat quietly on her back while she sorted herself out. I was impressed with his horsemanship and, well...one thing led to another and I'm still stuck with the bugger fifteen years on. :D

Fruitbat
10-27-2011, 07:31 PM
After seeing what a great job he did breaking in the horse, well naturally...

Whut? I dint say nuthin'. :tongue

Chris P
10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
I heard of one guy who rear-ended a woman at a red light. They exchanged numbers, filed the insurance, and once that was done he called her up and asked her out. They ended up getting married.

Alpha Echo
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
I heard of one guy who rear-ended a woman at a red light. They exchanged numbers, filed the insurance, and once that was done he called her up and asked her out. They ended up getting married.

This used to be my falling-asleep fantasy when I was about 12. LOL.

I met my husband on eharmony. We went on 3 dates in 1 week and knew we were in love and would be married. 1 year later, we married. We've only been together since June 2009, but...that's my story. Not so interesting or funny. Well, it's interesting to me. :)

MonaLeigh
10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
These are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your lives and ideas:)

jaksen
10-27-2011, 09:13 PM
My mother and my mother-in-law were friends and decided that their children should marry, so they told me that he was a lonely boy in the military and I should write to him. (I had never met him before.) I got guilted into writing to him, but when he came home we met and now it's 37 years later, 35 of them married.

So yes, it was an arranged marriage set up by two sneaky, conniving, duplicitous women! I mean, I am from an old New England Yankee family and so was he - couples usually meet a church or a barn-raising or something.

waylander
10-28-2011, 12:34 AM
My wife tells the story of a couple (dead now) she knew who married because he was the best man at his friend's wedding. His friend didn't turn up so he married the bride right then and there.

Mark G
10-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Friends of my parents met while out with a group of friends. He had been taking some fencing lessons, and was bragging about his swordplay skills. She offered to take him on the next day at the gym and thrashed him soundly, turns out she was the Canadian women's champion at the time.

They've been married since forever now.

My wife tells the story of a couple (dead now) she knew who married because he was the best man at his friend's wedding. His friend didn't turn up so he married the bride right then and there.

These two get my vote for funniest.

Cherise Kelley
10-29-2011, 04:09 AM
My husband had on the thickest coat at the airport. I borrowed it to warm up, and it turned out we were on the same flight... We have been married 17 years and are still happy.

lastlittlebird
10-29-2011, 04:14 AM
My favorite story was a friend I knew in high school who was best friends with a lad from the farm down the road.
They rode the bus to school together every day and every day he would ask her out and she would say no.
Finally, she realized she didn't know why she was saying no anymore and decided to say yes instead... of course, that was the day he stopped asking her!
So she told him to ask her one last time.

I'm out of contact with her now, but I saw them in an article a few months ago because he had won "young farmer of the year". They looked very happy (with two gorgeous little girls).

Cherise Kelley
10-29-2011, 04:21 AM
My favorite story was a friend I knew in high school who was best friends with a lad from the farm down the road.
They rode the bus to school together every day and every day he would ask her out and she would say no.
Finally, she realized she didn't know why she was saying no anymore and decided to say yes instead... of course, that was the day he stopped asking her!
So she told him to ask her one last time.

I'm out of contact with her now, but I saw them in an article a few months ago because he had won "young farmer of the year". They looked very happy (with two gorgeous little girls).

I love that! That wins my vote as funniest!

vintagegirl
10-31-2011, 02:29 AM
I met my boyfriend when I had a job as a street performer one summer. We did a circus show, and was playing in this shopping mall when I see a really cute guy watching us. He watched two whole shows, and after we were done I walked up to him and told him that I thought he was really cute, then went back to pack up my stuff. He came up and asked me to give him a tour around the city since he was on vacation, and I did for the rest of the day.
He went back home a day later, but we exchanged phone numbers and met two weeks later in a different city and started a relationship. It's worked out well so far, we had long-distance for a year and now we've lived together for about five months. :)

lindseyanne
10-31-2011, 03:46 AM
In my Introduction to Music class freshman year of college, we were seated alphabetically by last name, and my significant other sat directly in front of me. We talked a little before class every day, were paired in a group activity once and by chance we both put off going to a mandatory concert until the very last possible day. We met each other in the lobby before the concert and sat together, talked during intermissions and after the concert he asked me to come watch South Park with him (we both were/are fans).

I did, and ended up spending the night. We've spent every night together since.

blackrose602
11-02-2011, 01:08 AM
I met my ex shortly after I moved to New Orleans. I was working in a voodoo shop, and he came in to buy some potion ingredients (pagan). We talked a bit after I rang him up, and he asked if he could walk me home after my shift. I was from Central Florida, where cars are required to get anywhere, and still wasn't used to being able to walk everywhere I wanted to go. Something about the offer to walk me home was so quaint, I couldn't resist.

Luwain
12-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Me and my boyfriend met through an online roleplaying game. We were friends at first, then after a few meetings in real life we just sort of slipped into a relationship. I know a lot of couples like us.

My parents' story is a little bit more interesting. They worked at the same enterprise and my father had a crush on my mother although she was 13 years his senior and had two children already. But he really wanted her and finally on a business trip to Moscow he managed to ask her out or something. I know they kissed there for the first time. It's just funny that they lived in the same town by then but had to go to Russia to get together... (I think they started to live under the same roof quite quickly and maybe 10 years later they got married... and got me too.)

When my sister had her first child, she told me the story of her first date with the child's father. She said they were having a snack at a grill and the vendor asked the man if he wanted "all the spices" in his hot dog. He said yes at first, then glanced at my sister and said "actually, not the onions, I might be kissing tonight". And at this point my sister pointed at the cradle and said: "Well, there's the kiss."

Anninyn
12-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Me and my husband met at a game of live-action Vampire: Sabbat.

There was this instant connection, but after talking mostly in character with him for the whole game I still didn't have his real name.

As I left he told me, and I realised he was the infamous Jos, 13 years older than me, well known for certain... activities and I should really not be getting involved.

We danced around each other for several months before giving in.

Still stuck with him. Only person who's kept me interested for longer than a week at a time.

LilGreenBookworm
12-12-2011, 03:41 AM
I was a staff member of the school's literary magazine, and walked in one day to see some guy sitting on top of the desk like a hoosier flipping through last year's mag. Little miss never-gunna-get-married-men-are-useless-don't-wanna-date thought he was hot, walked up, and asked him his name. He gave me a very blatantly fake one, and proceeded to ask me out pretty much every day for months. He also joined the lit. mag. Now I cook him dinner every day and chase our little demon around the house all day. We celebrated our second wedding anniversary (omg if you need a funny wedding story PLEASE let me share!) last month and look forward to many more. :)

My parents met on one of those party line things. They started talking, hit it off, each grabbed two friends and met up. They've been married 25 years.

My grandparents met at a bar. My grandpa told my grandma the day he met her that they were getting married, and she had a not so nice response. :D They had three kids, and were married until the cancer took her from us. He got cancer, too, years later, and would talk about "going home" to her.

jeseymour
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I met my husband playing GURPS. It's like Dungeons and Dragons, only better. We met over Labor Day weekend and got married over Thanksgiving. Been married for 21 years now, three kids, who love playing GURPS, by the way. :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-22-2011, 05:39 PM
My grandma and grandpa met back in circa 1917-1918, when she was a nurse at Beloit Hospital in Wisconsin (she made it through the influenza epidemic and everything!).

His mother (my great grandma) had heart trouble, and was one of her favorite patients. She kept seeing this really cute guy coming to visit, and sent him a valentine. He found out who sent it, and they began courting. A year later (after great grandma died), they married.

I love that story. :)

shaldna
12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I met my hubby at an audition when I was fourteen.

We dated for years then split up. We met up again in September last year, having not spoken or seen each other for 8 years (we were pretty angry at each other), went out for lunch and got married six weeks later.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-22-2011, 08:46 PM
I met my hubby at an audition when I was fourteen.

We dated for years then split up. We met up again in September last year, having not spoken or seen each other for 8 years (we were pretty angry at each other), went out for lunch and got married six weeks later.

Wow shaldna. That's cool.

Hope all the details got worked out, and marriage is a dream for you. :)

trickywoo
12-23-2011, 01:25 AM
My parents met when my mom's tennis partner bailed, and she needed a stand in. They didn't hit it off at first - especially when he sent a serve solidly into her back. Ow.

DrZoidberg
12-23-2011, 01:51 AM
My room mate had chatted with a girl. They'd had sex a long time ago. The girl had just broken up with her boyfriend so my room mate invited her over. It turned out that she just wanted to talk, which she had said, but my room mate made a completely different interpretation. So he got us all three talking and then bolted. I had just broken up with my girlfriend and also needed somebody to talk to. So me and the girl hooked up. Now we've been married five and half years.

AlwaysJuly
12-27-2011, 05:44 AM
In college, my best friend/roomie ended up seriously dating a boy she met because I dated him first (that was awkward, since one week he and I were dating and the next week they were, but we all stayed friends). One day I went over to his apartment with her, and I met his roommate. His OMG hot, blond, brilliant, soccer player roommate.

Three years later, I married him. They got married the next year. We're all very happy. It was worth a little drama in the beginning (and I totally got the better end of the deal in the long run, as far as I'm concerned! ;))

CChampeau
12-27-2011, 05:56 AM
Mental hospital. :p

CChampeau
12-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Now we've been married five and half years.
Sweet! How unexpected love can be. :heart:

Kitty Pryde
12-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Met my partner working at a summer camp for kids with special needs. I remember thinking to myself, "Who is this crazy dyke they've hired to work here?" and the rest, as they say is history. We've been together nearly eight years, and we'd be married if we could. Maybe for our ten year anniversary :D

My grandparents had a good story: my grandfather, Jack, was drafted into the Army for WWII. He served in Italy as a radio operator. My grandmother, Sylvia, was engaged to marry his older brother Mark. Although they'd never met, she was encouraged to send letters to Jack while he was overseas--I guess that's just what you did back then to Support The Troops. They exchanged many letters. When he came home from the war, she met his train at the station and they got married a week later! Don't feel too bad for poor Mark, he soon ended up marrying a different woman named Sylvia and having lots of kids and grandkids too :D

Sea Witch
12-27-2011, 07:47 AM
I met my husband because I was looking for a banjo teacher. I looked and looked and researched and couldn't find one in my city that taught the style I wanted to learn (Scruggs style). I finally started emailing music societies at random and my (now) husband replied to one of my blanket emails, "I can find you a teacher." (He's an expert player.)

We're married 3 years now.

CrastersBabies
12-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I met my husband on MYSpace. I had just come home from a really bad date and thought, "I'm gonna find me some MALE FRIENDS on MYSPACE just to feel validated!" (wahh wahhh).

And then I saw my husband's page, liked his music choices and just wrote a quick, "hey, I like your music."