Every Thread Needs a Title

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Dawno, Mod of the Sparkly Ears and Others More Knowledgable Than I -
(which is just about everyone when it comes to blogging...)

I was going to start a blog to put my NaNo story in -
then I read the thread about templates, tags, and toenails and went....
emoticonfaint.gif
I didn't think blogs were so complicated. I guess I can't just copy/paste out of a Word doc and make it go, eh?

And how about when I'm done with it and want to take it down? Can I make it disappear like it never happened? Or is there always going to be pieces of it floating around in cyberspace? <<<this is my main question.

So what's the real deal? Is it easy? Or is it hard?

>''<

Since Dawno threatened me with great bodily harm, I'm posting my questions to her here, for the rest of you to laugh at.

P.S. I'm not worried about 'first rights' or any other type of rights - for me, this year's NaNo was an exercise. A few people expressed an interest in reading it so I thought putting it in a blog instead of clogging up the SYW forum would be the 'polite thing to do'.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'm no blogging pro, having just started a week or so ago but I'll take a crack at your q's.

Once you've signed up and chosen your template and actually start your first blog/post, you should see something that resembles what you see when you post here: box with some symbols and a blank area to type in. You should be able to paste in chapters from your word processor. And I believe you can delete any individual blog entry you want, or nuke the whole thing.

Jump in. The water's fine. :)

Edited to add: Is it easy or hard?

DUH! I'm doing it!

eraser<-----prototypical techno-dweeb

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I would love it if you would post a blog with your Nano. I am with www.blogspot.com I found it to be so easy! It is free too. You can have as many blogs as you want. (Under one name) There is a place to delete the whole blog if you don't like it. Suppose you put up a post you didn't like--you go to the 'dashboard' and you can delete that post only or edit it. Before you set the blog up go to the right hand corner of any blogspot and go to the "next blog" key and you can go through other peoples blogs. Use it like a TV remote and see what different things people have done. Then you will get a clue what you want to do. I found Pete Townsend's blog www.boywhoheardmusic.blogspot.com to be very interesting. He is writing a whole book on line and you can download a chapter at a time if you want. And make comments. I think blogging is a very useful tool. I also like Ray's blog and visit it, he is good to share writing tips. He has a signup that will email you when he makes a new post! Now I am not that advanced, but I think it is fun.Do it!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another Stipid Newbie Question

If I start this blog, and I want Page One of Chapter One to be the first thing you see, am I going to have to post it in reverse?

i.e. Post the last page of the last chapter first and work my way back to the first page.....

(told ya it was stipid)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I haven't found a way to reverse the order yet. I think you can tweak the template to do that, but I don't know how. Anyone?

Another way to do it is to reverse the dates. Start with 12/31/2100 and work your way backwards... :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
If you have a blog that allows you to save drafts then you can enter all your chapters as drafts first. Then make chapter one the most current post date, chapter two yesterday, chapter 3 the day before and so on. Then they all appear in order as you scroll down thru the archives.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're all in draft in Blogger. I'm ready to push the 'publish' button.

One more stipid question before I do:

How do I find my way back home? I mean....like tomorrow, when I fire it up again...how do I make sure I go back to my place? Should I just bookmark myself?

Oh, gosh. I need a clone.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
In what order did you finally publish the drafts? You need to publish the last chapter first and the first chapter last. If you didn't do that you'll have to go back and edit things. Sorry if just putting the dates didn't work - it should have...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com