PDA

View Full Version : Much Ado About....Whedon?

JimmyB27
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Joss Whedon is making a modern version of Much Ado About Nothing (http://muchadothemovie.com/).
With Nathan Fillion.
And other, I'm sure cool, people most of whom I've never heard of. :tongue
Still Joss + Shakespeare = Win!

K. Taylor
10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
When does a new Joss Whedon movie, TV show, web series, appearance, blog post, sneeze or sniffle ever amount to Nothing?

Only when the word is in the title!

The Buffy and Firefly mastermind revealed today that, in addition to directing the highly anticipated Avengers movie, he recently completed principal photography on a modern-day take on Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

And you may find that a few of the actors he cast sound familiar...

None other than Whedon faves Nathan Fillion, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Fran Kranz and Sean Maher (who last month revealed he is gay) star in the indie romantic comedy, which was shot—in black and white!—over the course of 12 days in "exotic Santa Monica," the director announced Monday.

"The film features a stellar cast of beloved (or soon to be beloved) actors—some of them veterans of Shakespearean theater, some completely new to the form," read a statement from Bellwether Pictures, a "microstudio" started by Whedon and spouse Kai Cole. "But all dedicated to the idea that this story bears retelling, that this dialogue is as fresh and intoxicating as any being written, and that the joy of working on a passion project surrounded by dear friends, admired colleagues and an atmosphere of unabashed rapture far outweighs their hilariously miniature paychecks."

Much Ado About Nothing is Bellwether Pictures' first film.

Fillion kinda-sorta confirmed the rumors about Whedon's writing-directing-producing triple threat last night, cryptically tweeting, "muchadothemovie.com," followed by, "Oh, it's real. Very. Very. Real. muchadothemovie.com."

This morning he added, "Alright, here's everything I know about muchadothemovie.com—Server error."

"The text is to me a deconstruction of the idea of love, which is ironic, since the entire production is a love letter—to the text, to the cast, even to the house it's shot in," Whedon says.

He plans to have the finished product ready for the festival circuit by this spring. The other little flick he's working on, The Avengers (also based on a classic tome from another century), is due in theaters May 4.
http://www.eonline.com/news/whats_joss_whedons_top-secret/271232#ixzz1bk6TfU73

Manuel Royal
10-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Kenneth Branagh did a good movie of that play just a few years ago.

Okay, 18 years ago. 1993 feels like yesterday.

Well, I'm not a huge Joss Whedon fan, but Fillion should be a good Benedick.

ChaosTitan
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I love that play.

I love the cast.

I am so super excited about this movie!!!! :D

BigWords
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
None other than Whedon faves Nathan Fillion, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Fran Kranz and Sean Maher (who last month revealed he is gay) star in the indie romantic comedy, which was shot—in black and white!—over the course of 12 days in "exotic Santa Monica," the director announced Monday.

I don't see the point in that quote making note of Sean Maher's sexual orientation. As if it matters to anyone... Yet again the (not so) subtle reinforcement that being gay is somehow noteworthy.

Sorry. I'm still not feeling right, and that struck me as incredibly annoying in a piece which should be celebrating the release of a new Joss Whedon film.

JimmyB27
10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Sorry. I'm still not feeling right, and that struck me as incredibly annoying in a piece which should be celebrating the release of a new Joss Whedon film.
I thought the same when I read it. I mean, they'd hardly have that sentence looking like this, would they:
"None other than Whedon faves Nathan Fillion, Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Fran Kranz and Sean Maher (who last month revealed he is naturally blond) star in the indie romantic comedy, which was shot—in black and white!—over the course of 12 days in "exotic Santa Monica," the director announced Monday."

willietheshakes
10-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Kenneth Branagh did a good movie of that play just a few years ago.

Okay, 18 years ago. 1993 feels like yesterday.

Well, I'm not a huge Joss Whedon fan, but Fillion should be a good Benedick.

Fillion will be Dogberry, actually.

Alexis Denisof will be Benedick.

gothicangel
10-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I've haven't heard of any of these actors, could someone enlighten me?

Whedon is going to be hard pushed to improve Branagh and Emma Thompson's chemistry.

Jess Haines
10-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Huh. This should be an interesting film.

Can't wait to see Nathan Fillion in this. I adore him. <3

Zoombie
10-25-2011, 11:55 PM
This is going to be funnnnnnnn!

strawberryblondie
10-26-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm so excited for this movie! I love everyone in the cast and I'm sure it'll be full of win.

K. Taylor
10-26-2011, 01:18 AM
I don't see the point in that quote making note of Sean Maher's sexual orientation. As if it matters to anyone... Yet again the (not so) subtle reinforcement that being gay is somehow noteworthy.

It's E!Online, which is the antithesis of journalism, but they were the only source of more news on the film besides the official site at the time I posted. There were complaints like yours in the comments at the link.

K. Taylor
10-26-2011, 01:20 AM
I've haven't heard of any of these actors, could someone enlighten me?

Whedon is going to be hard pushed to improve Branagh and Emma Thompson's chemistry.

Amy Acker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009918/)

Alexis Denisof (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219206/)

Nathan Fillion (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0277213/)

Alan_Often
10-26-2011, 02:44 AM
A Whedon film without Whedon dialogue? I'm in!

bettielee
10-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Why.. why does no one put Liev Schreiber in their damn Shakespeare movie, except for that creepy Hamlet?! The best Shakespearian actor we have in this country??

*stomps off*

Alan_Often
10-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Does anyone know if it is an original script or if it will use Shakespeare's words?

BenPanced
10-26-2011, 03:06 AM

Yeah. It's rather like: "Woody Allen has announced the cast of his new movie New York August in Springtime. Joining the director on location around New York and Manhattan will be John Stamos; Woody Harrelson; Amy Irving, 56; Meryl Streep, 64; and the reanimated corpse of John Carradine." Yay, whoo the hoo Sean Maher's out and everything but what does that have to do with the price of tea in Hoboken?

K. Taylor
10-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Does anyone know if it is an original script or if it will use Shakespeare's words?

Don't know, yet.

Bettie, it was low-budget and a quick shoot, so Joss had his friends involved. :)

Duncable
10-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Yes!!! :D I can't wait. I have an unhealthy obsession with all things Whedon and Fillion.

JSDR
10-26-2011, 05:49 AM
No Hero? Aw man, wish Fillion was benedick.

Ovid9
10-26-2011, 06:26 AM
This is going to be funnnnnnnn!

I wholeheartedly concur!

While the its tough to beat Branagh and Thompson, I'm sure Joss will do a good job and it'll be thoroughly enjoyable.

Yes!!! :D I can't wait. I have an unhealthy obsession with all things Whedon and Fillion.

So do my wife and I. She also has an unhealthy obsession with anything David Boreanz.

Satori1977
10-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I heard about this yesterday and couldn't be more excited!!! Much Ado is my FAVORITE Shakespeare play. I loved the Branagh/Thompson film. I adore Joss Whedon, and love pretty much everything Nathan Fillion does. Plus Amy Acker and Alexis Denisof?? I am so in. :D

Satori1977
10-26-2011, 07:42 AM

At least I am not the only one ;)

gothicangel
10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Amy Acker (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009918/)

Alexis Denisof (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219206/)

Nathan Fillion (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0277213/)

Yeah, I did a Google and I'm still clueless. :Shrug:

K. Taylor
10-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Gothic, are you not in the US? Nathan's face is probably the most familiar here.

anne.arthur
10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Joss Whedon can do no wrong, in my book. I'm stoked for this film!

Shadow_Ferret
10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I did a Google and I'm still clueless. :Shrug:

Don't worry. Other than Nathan who is on Castle, I have no idea who those others are either.

I also just never got into anything Whedon ever did, so despite enjoying Shakespeare, I doubt I'll bother with this.