Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is really COLD in my house. My husband doesn't want to start putting on the heat yet to save on our heating bill.

Any suggestions as to how I can keep warm?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Come to Johannesburg. We're in the middle of a heat wave. Max temp tomorrow is 33C.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Tell him to stop being a cheapskate. :D

Our's isn't on because there's something wrong with the furnace. It tries to start, shoots flames, then shuts down and repeats several times before finally giving up.

We don't have the money for a service call.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Set the oven to 400 and open it. He'll quickly realize that he has the option of a heating bill or a higher electricity bill.

I've got mine on and open right now, but only because I have no heat at all thanks to the steam being off so the leaking pipe under my apartment can be fixed. My options are chilly or live in a sauna.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince myself it's not cold enough yet. Then I sit in my house for an evening and realise that it's late October and that I have no feeling in my feet.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Had the AC on for a bit today.

Wish I could can some of our heat and send your way.:D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Was it good for you too?

We had our first real frost here Saturday morning. When it gets down into the 40s and 30s it's time to turn on the heat.

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
When the house gets below 60 inside my wife forces me to turn the heat on.

She's still freezing most of the time though.

Things that help:
1) Nice merino wool socks
2) Hoodies
3) A nice zip up snuggie-like thing that's not just cheesy fleece, but a nice warm blanket/robe.
4) Have a kitty on your lap or chest at all times possible.

I am also swayed by threats of a certain nature.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
During the colder months, I keep the furnace set at around 60 degrees when not home. At home, when it gets cold, I keep it set at 68.

You could always over-bundle (jacket, beanie, gloves, scarf) inside just to show the hubby. And, don't forget the shiver too. :D

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You need a winter cap, you lose a lot of body heat through your head. Thick socks helps as well, so does a scarf.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Grr and I go through this every year when it's getting close to time to turn on the AC or the heater. I'm the one who wants to leave them off for as long as possible, he always wants to turn them on at the first sign of a change in the weather. He just layers up and huddles under a light blanket if he needs to. Right now the only time it's really an issue is overnight, and we're in bed anyway. We don't have kids to worry about, so he can suck it up a little longer. :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard on the TV news/weather last night that it might snow here later in the week.

I think snow might require the heat going on.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! It is supposed to snow later today.

What month is this again?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
October...

and thank goodness it waited until now to snow (has been snowing since just after midnight here - three inches on my car roof - streets just now getting covered) Last year it dumped a foot of snow on the 15th of October... all the leaves were still on the trees. Then the power went out... and I remember standing on the porch at dusk listening to a slow symphony of limb snaps... what a mess.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Rhymegirl, hit him upside the head or something. No one should have to freeze in their own home.
I admit I live alone, but I have a space heater that moves from room to room with me. It doesn't jack up the electric bill (gas is still a horror) and it gets the room toasty at night pretty damn quick. Just be careful if you have a shag rug. :eek:

Wish I could can some of our heat and send your way.:D

Was it good for you too?

We had our first real frost here Saturday morning. When it gets down into the 40s and 30s it's time to turn on the heat.
Don't make me come over there. Actually, yeah, do make me come there, to the hot and hazy south. I live a few dozen i-95 exits away from Rhymegirl, and it's freezing rain. There's nothing I hate more in life than freezing rain.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If there's no heat (like there wasn't here for about 3 hours when the power went away during the snow storm), I highly recommend a blanket shared by other warm bodies. In our house, there's four dogs and two cats, all of whom were happy to cuddle with us and our blankets, so we were VERY warm and happy.

At least, until one of us people need to go to the bathroom--then it takes a while to coax all of the animals back to cozy warmth.