PDA

View Full Version : Need a writer for a fantasy game...[Payment: 1 cent/word]

hdk
10-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a writer for (hopefully) a long term collaboration on a new project I'm working on.

I would really prefer if you're Melbourne based, or at least in Australia but will consider everyone.

Basically what I need at this stage is for someone to create a new fantasy world from scratch, with a detailed history of itself and it's inhabitants. There are a few guidelines but ultimately it is going to be your creation.

I'm not set on a writing style, but I'd like it to be quite emotive, 'high fantasy'.

I've got no idea about remuneration, I've read a few posts on here offering 1c/word...that doesn't sound like very much, so hopefully I can do better, but I can offer that at the very least.

Regarding the length of work required...it's really an ongoing thing, so I can't really say. We're talking probably...100+ pages of writing? Whatever that equates to...

So hopefully, that's not too vague. Just ask if you have further questions. Either PM me, or reply to this post if you're interested. I'd like to read sample work whenever possible.

Thanks very much =)

Mara
10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
It might be helpful to get a more concrete idea of what you actually want before you try to hire. Also, you should definitely find out how many words per page and other basic things like that before posting. Otherwise, you risk looking unprofessional, and anyone familiar with fantasy gaming knows that unprofessional (and even some professional) employers are infamous for not paying up. So people might be more responsive if you seem more prepared.

(Also, that part about not knowing exactly how long you want is sorta a warning flag. Some people will say stuff like that, then endlessly keep expecting the writer to write more and more and rewrite over and over and use that as justification to not pay.)

A page is about 250 words, so 100 pages = 25000 words, which is about a quarter of the size of a decent novel. At a penny a word, that's about $250. A penny a word is really, really cheap by short story standards, and it's slightly cheap by tabletop RPG standards, but Tricky Owlbear pays about a penny a word for RPG products, so it's probably reasonable in this case. Game writing doesn't usually pay much.

CrastersBabies
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
When I worked freelance for RPG companies, it was 4 cents a word then (5 cents if you did all the legwork on your own statistics/technical writing like item stats, character abilities, etc).

This was 11 years ago.

But, it might give you an idea of where to start on hiring.

Gale Haut
10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I think this individual is offering what he/she can afford to offer, which is perfectly legitimate per the guidelines of this forum. Not everyone can offer the same pay rates.

areteus
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I've known game writers being offered 1c a word which is a low rate but if that is what you can afford you are at least being honest about it.

One thing you may want to consider is offering a percentage royalties on the sale as a way of increasing the potential sale. That way, you pay what you can afford as an initial payment and then there is the possibility of more if the project is a success.

I'm interested and would like to know more. I've done a lot of world building for games in the past so I may have the experience you need for this. Can you send me more details, please?

hdk
10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi! Thanks all for the replies.

I'll try and expand a bit on what I'm after, so as to be as clear as possible.

The game itself is already made, including all the playable characters and races etc.

What I need is the background written.

This would involve (using 250 words/page) a description and history of the world looking to be around 7500 - 10000 words. This would involve geography, time-line, important events and will set the scene for the game as a whole.

Further to this require short pieces on each of the 12 prominent races describing their culture, society and important characteristics. These should be 1000 to 1500 words each.

Further to these, there are approximately 100, 100 word pieces required; one for each playable character in each race.

Regarding the pay, I'd like to offer more and I'll almost certainly pay above 1 cent/word, but I don't want to promise too much. I think everyone will be happier getting a *bonus* rather than wondering if they're getting paid or not.

Thanks everyone, let me know if I need to provide more information =)

Thanks!

alvin123
10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I'll review and consider this. As the President of Game Creators at Saint Leo University, I have plenty of experience when it comes to rpgs. I even write fantasy novels. I have two short stories published so far. But, as I've said, I'm just going to think about it before showing you any writing samples and applying for this job.

Thanks for the opportunity,

Alvin.

P.S: Maybe I'm just kind, but one cent a word isn't that bad in my opinion. As a writer, actual writing, quality, and how much you can produce = Pay. (not that I'm trying to say that the quality of someone's work = a cent a word. I've seen mags that pay 1/2 cent or even less a word.)

alexshvartsman
10-26-2011, 04:57 AM
hdk: Do you have any previously published games or other credits in the gaming industry that potential authors can review before considering/applying to work on your project?

hdk
10-26-2011, 05:59 AM
hdk: Do you have any previously published games or other credits in the gaming industry that potential authors can review before considering/applying to work on your project?

Nope!

Afraid not. This is my initial foray into game development.
Hopefully 10 years down the track, if I'm asked the same question I'll have a much more impressive answer =)

Thanks!

Michel Ba
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi. I'm not sure what is more vital to you, language proficiency or creativity. I am not a native english speaker but I am a passionate writer. In my portfolio, there may be some grammatical errors, that can be easily fixed when put into game, either by you or beta testers. Just give me a chance to prove I am the "blood vessel" for your game. :)

Portfolio: http://www.wix.com/michelba88/portfolio

E-mail: michelba88@gmail.com

hdk
10-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Hi. I'm not sure what is more vital to you, language proficiency or creativity. I am not a native english speaker but I am a passionate writer. In my portfolio, there may be some grammatical errors, that can be easily fixed when put into game, either by you or beta testers. Just give me a chance to prove I am the "blood vessel" for your game. :)

Hi! Thanks for the interest =)
I'll give it a read =)

Thanks!

Just wanted to add, I think I'll let this run until next Friday at which point I'll make a decision and get in touch with the chosen candidate.

Cheers =)

bladestalker
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I've a lot of experience doing just this kind of piece meal work in the past. I'm a little backed up with projects at the moment but from what you've described it sounds like it's right up my alley. pop me an email at charonprods@shaw.ca and we can talk. I can send you a sample and a slightly out of date biography.

hdk
10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I've a lot of experience doing just this kind of piece meal work in the past. I'm a little backed up with projects at the moment but from what you've described it sounds like it's right up my alley. pop me an email at charonprods@shaw.ca and we can talk. I can send you a sample and a slightly out of date biography.

Thanks for the interest! Email sent =)

bladestalker
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
got it. thanks for the prompt repl.

hdk
11-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi all,

As I mentioned, I'm going to finish this up today.
I've contacted a shortlist of folks that I'd like to discuss this further with.

I'll be selecting a candidate from here, so thank you to everyone for their help and to all who applied =)

Thanks =)

bladestalker
11-04-2011, 02:47 AM
got to get my reply in tonight, once I'm off work to help you with teh shortlist. It's almost done. :)

hdk
11-04-2011, 06:35 AM
got to get my reply in tonight, once I'm off work to help you with teh shortlist. It's almost done. :)

No problem.

To the guys I contacted regarding the shortlist, the Friday deadline only applies to new applicants...just be fair to the guys that got in early, I didn't want to drag it on forever.

So if I've already contacted you personally, there's no hurry to get back to me.

Thanks =)

sian
11-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Oh my bad, I assumed Friday meant Friday in the US. I completely forgot you were in Australia. I just submitted something to you via PM. If it's too late, feel free to disregard. :)

hdk
11-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Oh my bad, I assumed Friday meant Friday in the US. I completely forgot you were in Australia. I just submitted something to you via PM. If it's too late, feel free to disregard. :)

You got in just in time =P

Twistedpuppet
11-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Hey I'm very interested in this and would like to help out if I can. I've done a little work on RPG creation but only on the amateur kind between buddies.
I've played Warhammer 40k tabletop game, which is pretty easy to play, and have been DMing for it a while and learning what works and what doesn't sometimes.
Anyway, I have an interest and I can send you something that I did a little work on but nothing too extensive. Admittedly the person I was doing that particular project is hardly motivated, has great ideas, but can never see them through and so I created about a ten page basics just for him to look at.
I gave it a shot, and I like it quite a bit. If anything I would like to know if there's some kind of market for this kinda thing to get into and if so where to start? I'd definitely like to help.
Thanks,

hdk
11-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Hey I'm very interested in this and would like to help out if I can. I've done a little work on RPG creation but only on the amateur kind between buddies.
I've played Warhammer 40k tabletop game, which is pretty easy to play, and have been DMing for it a while and learning what works and what doesn't sometimes.
Anyway, I have an interest and I can send you something that I did a little work on but nothing too extensive. Admittedly the person I was doing that particular project is hardly motivated, has great ideas, but can never see them through and so I created about a ten page basics just for him to look at.
I gave it a shot, and I like it quite a bit. If anything I would like to know if there's some kind of market for this kinda thing to get into and if so where to start? I'd definitely like to help.
Thanks,

Hi =) Thanks for the interest.

Unfortunately we've already passed the cut-off date for applications. There was much more interest than I anticipated and to leave it open any longer would drag on forever.

Regarding getting into the market...I don't know. I just decided I was going to make a game and...this is how I'm going about it =) The tabletop gaming industry is not exactly huge so I wouldn't anticipate too many opportunities popping up. I know places like Wyrd and Fantasy Flight Games always seem to be hiring though.

Some others on here probably have much better advice though =)

Cheers!

areteus
11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
RPG companies generally have in house staff they use for this sort of thing so it is often a case of trying to get one of those...

If you are interested in Warhammer or warhammer 40k, you may want to look at the Black Library who sometimes have short (very short in some cases) submission windows for writers to send stuff in as 'auditions'. Keep an eye on thier website for these, they crop up occasionally.

hdk
11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to announce that areteus from the board here has taken up this opportunity.

Thanks to everyone whom showed interest and applied.

Cheers =)

bladestalker
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
cool. if you need any more help let me know.