PDA

View Full Version : Need a beta for 114K steampunk YA.

PoppysInARow
10-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Yes, it's on the long side. But if you've clicked, you're probably going to help me out anyway, and that makes you awesome.

Here's my blurb for ZAP, my untitled YA steampunk:

The art of dragon Breeding is dying, but it's the only life Charlotte's ever known. After her mother's death, Charlotte takes over the family farm, but business is bad--really bad. When Cynthia Ross shows up, claiming to be her aunt, Charlotte thinks all her problems have been solved. Aunt Cyn wants to enter her into the Steel Talon Tournament, where the world's best Breeders pit their dragons against mechanical walkers for a chance for fame, money, and immortality. For Charlotte, winning means more than saving her family farm-- Aunt Cyn has promised to tell her about her mother's shady past, as well as where her father has been hiding for so many years.

As the competition heats up, Charlotte finds herself in a world of political mind games between Draconites-- dragon sympathizers and Breeders-- and the Cogs-- business men and technology enthusiasts. With the help of her sponsor Gaspar Laroche and his mysterious and tantalizing son Vern, Charlotte navigates deadly battlefields and even deadlier social events. When Breeders start dying, all clues point to betrayal by a fellow Breeder. Charlotte isn't sure who she can trust anymore. Certainly not the other Breeders. Certainly not the Cogs. And certainly not the infuriating Vern Laroche.

I was hoping to have this finished by January 15th. If you can't manage that, just let me know and we'll figure something out. Of course, ZAP doesn't have a title, so if you come up with any during reading, please pitch them to me.

Any editing style works for me. I prefer line by line, but just a general overview works too. :) I'm also willing to swap manuscripts.

PM me or email me at katiecarson at hotmail dot com if you're interested. :D Thanks, guys.

Deizelcore
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Sounds interesting.

rmkrisby
10-24-2011, 02:26 AM
I will be willing to swap MS's. You're story sounds really interesting and I would love to read it. That and a side project of mine is steampunk and it is a genre that really intrigues me. My manuscript is only 24K and is a fantasy story set in a semi-steampunk world. I need to get mine back before NanoWrimo begins since I am re-writing/continuing it for NanoWrimo. I am looking for grammar/writing critique but mostly story-based criticism and whether you'd read on, etc... I can definitely get my critique back to you by January 15th because I'll be on winter break for a month starting January 15th, and will do a little bit of reading here and there before then.

PM if you are interested. :)