Question About an Agent's Request

Scion

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

So, I sent out a query to Jennie Dunham, and received a reply from Bridget Smith saying Jennie sent it to her because she is interested in my type of story. She asked me to send her the MS, a writer's bio, a synopsis, and a marketing statement. BUT, firstly, I'm a bit confused because apparently Bridget Smith is only an office assistant and has no bio on the site. Also, is it normal to request a marketing statement without even reading the MS?

Thoughts?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Marketing statement might be normal for non fiction. Agents might start out as "office assistants" or a host of other titles, so perhaps Ms. Smith is starting to take on clients after having learned the ropes from Ms. Dunham. Maybe your book fits with the kind of books she plans to represent.

could also be that Ms. Dunham reads the queries, then passes the ones she's interested in to Ms. Smith who may, or may not, be her first reader/Slush reader.
quan lot triumph do lot nam dung cu tap an cho be ao so mi nu thoi trang cong so chup anh da ngoai o ha noi
Lots of perfectly legit possibilities. If you did your homework on the agency, I'd send in the stuff they're asking for.

Last edited:

Scion

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, my MS is fiction (YA)...but I'm sure you're right. Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to figure out where to start! I've done everything except the marketing statement because I've found very little info on them, even on here. Anyone have any suggests on what I should include in this?

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com
Hmm, my MS is fiction (YA)...but I'm sure you're right. Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to figure out where to start! I've done everything except the marketing statement because I've found very little info on them, even on here. Anyone have any suggests on what I should include in this?

Maybe ask them what they mean by it. Perhaps they want to know what you will do promote your work or perhaps they want to know who you think is the target audience (such as, readers of Twilight, or something). Right now, the term "marketing statement" sounds too vague to know what they want.

Jodi

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Just do it. You'll need to write that stuff eventually anyway.

Jennie Dunham is, by all accounts a reliable agent. If her assistant is beginning to take on a few clients as an agent then it doesn't hurt to send the material.

Either she says no, or she says yes. If no, you've lost nothing. If yes, you can always back out at that time, but you'll have the opportunity to talk to them on the phone and take a week or two to decide.

Scion

Registered
Reaction score
I do plan on doing it for sure...just wish I had as much info on marketing statements as I do on queries and synopses. *sigh*

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
For your marketing statement, say you'll start a page on FB or a twitter account (if you already don't have one.) Consider starting a website, too, or say you will. Mention any online groups or forums you belong to that might help promote your book or writing. Say you'll do book signings and be open to any publicity they might suggest, such as a contest or whatever.

I'd just be open to ideas in my marketing statement, (though even as yet, no one's asked me for one.)

:D