What is the lowest point you've ever brought a character to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP I find myself pushing the extremes of human misery. From a background of privilege, my lead has lost everything, his foolishness and cowardice caused the death of a girl he liked, he's been crippled and forced to beg in the streets (this is during the Industrial Revolution too, not a good time to be a beggar, or a cripple). In desperation he tries his hand at blackmailing someone who showed him kindness, but ends up suffering a literal beating within an inch of his life at the hands of his target's colleagues.

What sorts of slings and arrows have you been using lately?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beaten, his hand amputated, and held prisoner by his former rapist.

Maryn, not nice

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP, the mc, a PI, is beaten severely in an alley by two thugs. He spends most of the book in casts and bandages and on crutches. His girl friend cheats on him, and his former partner on the force (before he was fired) considers him a person of interest and threatens to lock him up. He drinks a lot. Who wouldn't?

Last edited:

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
One of my secondary characters gets captured and beaten the crap out of. He ends up with a head injury, which wipes the chip implanted in his brain, and he suffers seizures during an extremely important mission. They manage to escape, but not only is the key information stored in the chip destroyed, but so is the rest of his memory.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
Made immortal (as a vampire) and locked in an undergound prison for over a century where she was left alone to subsist on a diet of vermin and go mad.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
One of my characters voted Liberal Democrat

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You monster!

I made a man admit he was wrong, and ask for directions. :D

Okay, hand amputation, check. Realise he's been working for the bad guy all along. Realise that while he thought someone was betraying him (so he gets revenge, big style) he finds out actually they were trying to save him...Made a cocky MC realise he wasn't God's gift to women, made a man chose between his god and a woman, made a man fall in love...

'Worst' depends on the person.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Little Ming - I was just thinking the same thing.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Character:Amelie Beauchamps
Acts Of Writer Cruelty:
Her family was murdered by Riordan.
Faith and soul broken.
Driven completely batshit insane.
Turned into a vampire against her will.
Basically remade into an eternal daughter for Riordan,despite her wish to reunite with her family.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Father sold daughter (MC) to Carpetbagger for money to pay taxes in Georgia. MC runs away when she finds out she's pregnant and gives birth on the run to Louisiana. She leaves her son at a church in New Orleans where he's adopted by a couple headed west - she never sees him again. After trying her hand at being a housekeeper, governess, and French tutor on her journey up the Mississippi, she eventually has to turn to selling herself. She runs afoul of a brutal and sadistic sheriff in Dakota Territory. When she becomes the cause of a man's and his three children's deaths at the hands of said sheriff, she runs again - back south this time - to wind up in the saloon at the center of the Newton, KS, massacre. Then she meets the hero and the real trouble begins.

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that I feel all tingly and happy that I am amongst such sadistic folk?

Jed Power

Registered
Reaction score
Hampton Beach-Dan Marlowe

In my novel "The Boss of Hampton Beach" the protagonist, Dan Marlowe, a reformed cocaine addict, is bound to a chair and forced at gun point to drink a glass of beer laced with a large dose of coke. Then his tormentors smokin' hot girlfriend, whose also coked up, sexually teases him mercilessly.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
My MC saw her parents murdered, was raised by people who orchestrated said parents' deaths, made to work for the organization responsible, fell in love with one of their loyal minions (who was sent to spy on her), nearly got killed in an escape attempt in which she worked with The Most Hated Enemy of her employers, was interrogated and tortured in the aftermath, and that's before the book starts.

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
MC get's limbs chopped off, eyelids cut off, forced to watch his family is toutured/raped and then buried alive.

He's granted life once more to hunt these men down.

Another one is having my almost invisible MC to battle a army of 150,000 men. 7 days later he walks through the thin oceans back to his woman, covered in dried blood. Quite gruesome. He could not die or escape, go figure.

JessicaJoy

Author & Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wishing-on-stars.com
Hmm one of the children characters in one of my stories (who is a very shy timid child) overhears her parents arguing about her in the middle of the night, in a moment of hurt, and simply not wanting to hear her parents fight she sneaks outside into the dark.
She ends up terrified, outside alone in the woods behind her house in the dark, feeling like she's the reason her parents fight.
It has a happy ending though, with the girl finding courage she didn't know she had.

Kitty27

Registered
Reaction score
I write Horror. It is my favorite genre to the point that when I work on my other books,it always manages to sneak in.

I tried middle grade once and it turned into a werewolf snacking on the kiddies.

nchahine

Something should go here...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
noorachahine.wordpress.com
Abused as a child, lived in isolation most of his life, forced to kill hundreds of thousands of people, and finally lost all of his family, who he just found again. That about sums it up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.