Why is the time for each book so different? Grrr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
The first full length novel I ever wrote took about three weeks to write. That's not counting revisions and editing, mind you. THe second one took a week and a half. The third one took three months...etc.

This newest one is already at the end of the first month, without a full keepable chapter. I've written, and rewritten it quite a few times. It seems to be flowing better now, but it just made me wonder...why does each book differ so much?

I'm a stay at home mom...there aren't any kids at home during the day to distract me, so that's not an excuse for me!

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I think it just depends on the story. Everyone is different.
As for the rewriting and reworking... That's probably taking up a the bulk of your time. I would suggest getting a first draft done, then worry about fixing it. I think you can drive yourself nuts if you try and fix things too much before having the rest of the novel down on paper first.

Good luck, you should be happy you've got finished novels! Lots of people who set out to write a novel never get to the end :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm for the BIS method (bum in seat).

You set a word-quota for each writing day. You sit in front of your computer and hack away until you reach that limit. No pleasure activities unless you're on track for that target. Never go back and revise until the novel is done, that way madness lies.

My target is 2,000 words per day, but I normally average around 2,500.

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
If you managed to write a whole novel in three weeks, you've got nothing to worry about. Three months is pretty stellar. I did my first draft of my first novel in 6-7 weeks, but that was generally working for 14 hours per day for 6 days a week, and even then I had several drafts worth of revision to do.

The question you should be asking is, "How did I bend the laws of physics to be able to condense so many months of work into three weeks?"

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Old and true adage: You only know how to write the book you've already finished. ;)

SJAB

Being edited for submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
The first full length novel I ever wrote took about three weeks to write. !

Blinking heck! Here's me thinking I am doing well if I get a WIP into first draft in 6 months. (That's not counting reseach time, plotting and outlining.)

Status
Not open for further replies.