PDA

View Full Version : political book market

comedy_screenwriter
10-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Where can I get info on the political book market? I need this for a book query I am writing.

Thanks,
Andrew

Williebee
10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Depends on what your looking for. Could you be more specific please?

Welcome to the Cooler, BTW.

Please be sure to read the guide, link is in my sig.

With a bit more info I'm betting we can assist you.

comedy_screenwriter
10-21-2011, 08:19 AM
About the size of the market, trends, etc. Anything I can get to sell my book to publishers, I have to show them it will be profitable. And I need to come up with a marketing plan.

Thanks,

Andrew

Williebee
10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
MOD NOTE:

I moved this over to research and deleted the duplicate post. This may not be exactly where it needed to be, but it is closer than where it was.

----

ETA: I'd say Publishers Marketplace (website) would be your first stop. Then Google, Amazon, and maybe some of the query databases, doing keyword searches for your subject matter.

Good luck!

comedy_screenwriter
10-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I've spent hours searching the net for this and come up with nothing.

CACTUSWENDY
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
You might go on amazon and pull up other books with topics like yours and see who their publishers were. Might even find out who their agents were too. (Look on the forward or thanks page.)

Good luck with this. I wish I could give you more ideas.

Buffysquirrel
10-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Publishers are notoriously chary about their sales unless they're huge. You can find out how many Harry Potter books have sold but not (easily) how many Small Book With Blue Cover's.

CACTUSWENDY gives good advice. First identify books on the same subject as yours. You'll need to do this anyway because you'll need to convince publishers that your book covers some aspect that they've missed--ie, that there's a gap in the market waiting to receive your book. Amazon sales rankings aren't much of a guide though, tbh.

Check the websites of publishers who publish books in your area to see what they've got up and coming. That'll tell you what was topical about two years ago. For more recent information you can check Publisher's Weekly for what's being bought now, but you won't get much more than title and perhaps a single line on what the book is about.

comedy_screenwriter
10-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks. Some good ideas. I want to give publishers evidence that potenial sales are big. I know the political book market is huge, yet it's hard to find info on.