PDA

View Full Version : Explain your avatar...

Pat~
11-30-2005, 04:06 AM
...if you don't mind my curiosity. Some of them are *ahem* a bit unique. Is there a story behind, say, why MacAllister is a squashed gopher? What is Poetinahat doing in his picture (and is it really Poet)? Why is Maryn holding the sun? Why did Nique shave his head (though I like the new look)?

Enquiring minds want to know...

September skies
11-30-2005, 04:08 AM
I love this thread. I have wondered so much about all the others. Mine is simple, nothing to explain. I just think Sophia Loren is beautiful and I love hats! I need to eventually find another new avatar that fits my personality.

But in the meantime, I can't wait to hear what the others have to say.

scarletpeaches
11-30-2005, 04:25 AM
Mine is me, leaning on a friend, at a party in September of this year. I had been dancing to Linkin Park and a friend shoved some vodka and Red Bull at me - it would have been rude to refuse.

WVWriterGirl
11-30-2005, 04:32 AM
Mine is me...kind-of. It's the tattoo on my right outer thigh. I figured if my user title was going to be "inked mom", I should show some proof of it.

Moondancer
11-30-2005, 04:36 AM
Mine has a long story attached to it so...

Suffice it to say it is me when I'm dreaming.

MacAllister
11-30-2005, 04:42 AM
Heh--actually, it's a coyote petroglyph. When I was very small, and my grandfather was still alive, (he was Comanche) he told me Coyote stories, and told me Coyote was one of my protector animals.

poetinahat
11-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Mine is me - a slightly skewiff photo taken by my 2.5-year-old daughter. I really liked the composition, and thought it made a nice change.

Next one will have a hat... I promise!

And whence yours, Pat?

Writer2011
11-30-2005, 04:45 AM
I happen to like South Park...Chef is my fave character mainly because he's voiced by the LEGENDARY Issac Hayes (think SHAFT....JOHN SHAFT)!! :)

ChunkyC
11-30-2005, 04:46 AM
I'm so obvious -- bookworm, of course. He reminds me of my parents' eyes peering over the tops of books, something they did all their lives.

writerterri
11-30-2005, 04:50 AM
It's me. I have hair down to my bum but I couldn't get it all in the picture. Good thing you can't see my grays. I have chestnut brown hair with a red flair to it. I'm going to cut one day and try a blondish color. But not one day too soon. My husband is wild about my hair. I have to keep him sprinting home from work.

Carole
11-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Me with my pink hair. Yeah, no one remembered that from the *pink hair* thread.

Terri, my hubby would murdelize me if I cut my hair. Mine's down to da butt, too. I joked with him recently about whacking it all off and going with a neat little pixie cut. His poor face lost all its color.

Perks
11-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Sometimes I just feel this way. And I always judge my week by the body count at the end.

Vanessa
11-30-2005, 04:56 AM
It's me! Really it is!

aka eraser
11-30-2005, 05:06 AM
My book's cover.

HAY! Wouldn't it look spiffy under hundreds of Christmas trees this year?!!

:)

Okay, that's 2005's promotional campaign out of the way....

Pat~
11-30-2005, 05:24 AM
And whence yours, Pat?

This comes from the thread on "do you have a nickname" (and I can't find that thread anymore...). When we were first married, my husband used to call me Piglet (yes, he's a Pooh), because he discovered I could be a Somewhat Anxious Person. (Yes, driving a sputtering car in the rain, miles away from civilization, with the gas tank below "E" makes me nervous. But he loves me anyway.) :-) Add to that the fact that I'm smallish, and there's a heffalump or two in my life, and there you have it.

This is fun; keep 'em coming!

brokenfingers
11-30-2005, 05:26 AM
Hmmm, mines a visual representation of my User Title under my name:

Walkin' That Road

The explanation of which, can be found here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=175002&postcount=28

It shows a man, on a journey through a strange new world, stopping for a moment on a promontory and seeing the wonder around him - and how far he still has to go...

JAlpha
11-30-2005, 06:00 AM
My avitar is a pic of what I would look like if I were a cartoon, which is fine,

because people always tell me I'm very animated--which of course really means I'm hyper and talk too much :roll:

unthoughtknown
11-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Mine is actually from my wedding day. I was talking to my mum while being embarrassed by the photographer at the same time.

awatkins
11-30-2005, 06:41 AM
<---One of my editors. He's much more photogenic than I'll ever be.

Hannah
11-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Mine is sort of the cartoon version of me. My hair is cut in the same way (and Im usually wearing some kind of [dark] purple lipstick).

My hair used to be past my shoulders, years ago. I couln't stand it. It was too high maintenance. I asked the hubby if he mind if I cut it. He said, "I don't care." :Shrug: I've loved it ever since, it's been about two years.

My-Immortal
11-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Well...I suppose I should really explain my avatar...it's such a mystery.... :)

rtilryarms
11-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Look closely, Mine says

Have Fun Will Travel

A tribute to and a spin off of Have Gun Will Travel. One of the best darned TV shows ever.

My pic in my sig is my Grampa on the first ship to France when the USA entered WWI. Nice write up in several papers. I put him Juxtaposition to my tour pictures on a Navy ship.

underthecity
11-30-2005, 06:52 AM
The avatar is me, a black and white photo I had taken to be my "author photo" for newspaper articles that need a head shot. In an older thread about this same subject, I explained it as the "dangerous" or "mysterious" author. Dave Kuzminski said he didn't see that. He said I looked more like an angry biker. Made me laugh, actually.

I'm mostly harmless, though.

allen

Zonk
11-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Mine is something I whipped up in Photoshop, a practice run at making starfields.

:D:D:D

kristie911
11-30-2005, 07:25 AM
I love Marvin the Martian so there he is.

I tried to get a decent picture of myself but apparently I'm very bad at taking pictures of myself, so you get Marvin instead.

I'm sure I'll find something better someday.

PrettySpecialGal
11-30-2005, 07:28 AM
My avatar is not me (shock)- but a student of mine from a few years back. I only had him for about 6 months, but he remains to this day one of my favorites. He is MR, and quite emotionally disturbed. His mother threw him out at the age of 8, and told him that she didn't love him any more; she only loved her new husband and the baby that they had together. So, his grandmother took him in. He, in turn set fire to her house and cut all the clothes, curtains, and people in his house, including himself. Those were his down times. His up times were mainly at school. He loved school- and what a great kid he was. Just look at that face- what a personality, eh? Great sense of humor- really worked hard. But the home life was just tough. His grandmother loved him to bits, but he didn't believe her because of the trust issues he had with his mom. (hence the cutting and burning mentioned above). We worked very hard to get this kiddo on the right track, and when he moved out of the city, and further away from his mom and the memories, I truly believe that he was on his way.

So why pick him for my avatar? He reminds me to pick those kids up every day and kiss 'em and tell 'em that I love 'em. My two boys, and all the kids in my charge at school. I may only have control over the home lives of my two, so it's my job to make school the best place it can be for the others, since I really don't know how it is at home- good, bad, or ugly.

Yeah, I know, I'm a sap. Don't tell anyone, though, okay?

Elincoln
11-30-2005, 08:14 AM
When I first started on this forum, I used one of the free Avatars you could pick. It was 13 from the Final Fantasy VII game. Later, I used one from when I just got married, then one with my 2 year old daughter. Hubby got nervous about it (didn't want a pic of our child on the internet. He's paranoid that way.), so I switched back to the old photo. Then I moved to a new computer, lost the older pics and when AW crashed, lost the Avatar for a while.

The one that's here now is very old (No, I'm not that thin anymore, though I'm getting there). This was taken around my Senior year in High School. I was posing for a portrait photo with my best friend at her family's reunion in Philly. I came across the photo last month and thought that it was the best one taken of me ever, so I put it up.

If you want to know what I really look like? Ask Jenna.

PattiTheWicked
11-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Mine's one of the generic "choose your avatar" pics, but I like it. It's the Emrpess in a Tarot deck, and I picked it because it actually does look like me in the face, 'cept my hair's red and not blonde. I'm actually thinking of changing my avatar and replacing it with A Real Photo, but I've gotten really accustomed to my Empress.

I just got new ink a couple of weeks ago, tho, so I might upload a photo of that instead.

tiny
11-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Mine's from a favorite comic book I used to read before it ended for no apparent reason (I must have been the only one reading it). It's from Lone Wolf 2100, a play off Lone Wolf and Cub (which I also read).

triceretops
11-30-2005, 08:29 AM
I guess I was really bowled over the first time I saw Superman. I share Chris' first name and almost exact age--hence he is no longer with us, thus I leave him there as a tribute because I miss him so much. He'll always be a hero in my heart, and of course, he stands for truth, justice and the PublishAmerican way--------just kidding there folks....

Tri

JoeEkaitis
11-30-2005, 09:08 AM
When you get to be my age, EVERYTHING turns gray.

Susie
11-30-2005, 01:14 PM
That's a great question, Pat. I had a fishy avatar, but since it was time to clean her fish bowl, I decided to have a change of 'face,' and use the little girl. It just caught my eye. I'm pretty sure I'll bring back my ol' avatar sometime soon for a change of 'fishy.' lol.

Lantern Jack
11-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Mine is a photo of an eyeball I carved out of a dead deer's socket I found on the side of the road. Alas, someone else'd already claimed his antlers. You can see the gutted carcass on my profile page!

Optimus
11-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I like The Boondocks.

Diana Hignutt
11-30-2005, 05:13 PM
Another Tarot trump weighing in...mine's the High Priestess...she is the Moon Goddess's vessel on Earth...the daughter of mystery and magick... and since the main character of my doomed trilogy is the earthly incarnation of the Moon Goddess...

Maryn
11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
I wish I could say that picture was me, or that I was the photographer, but I'd be fibbing and we can't have that, now, can we? (What? We can?!?! In that case, my figure hasn't changed since high school.)

I grew up in Arizona, where the sun shines all day every day, pretty much. Now I live in an area famed for its bleak grey skies. It's not unusual for many days to pass with no direct sunlight. Maybe that's why I fell in love with this picture when I saw it. I cropped it for avatar use.

A couple of times I've thought I should change it, but when I stroll through my image files, there's never one I like better, at least not one that remains good when reduced in size. IMO, there are no good pictures of me since, oh, about 1975.

Maryn, who would keep the sun around if she could hold onto it (Hot. Hot! Hot-hot-hot-hot-HOT!)

OneTeam OneDream
11-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Mine is Frank Sinatra, because......well because I couldn't find any Dean Martin Avatars.

I love Frank and Dean, they were simply the epitome of cool!

Unique
11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
(on the inside)

>''<

batgirl
11-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Mine's my hand, painting a map. It seemed like kind of a cool metaphor for writing, and it also shows my other amateur interest.
The map was done for a friend, and it's painted on sized and gessoed linen, with earth pigments in size medium, and it's of the area around Seattle but in a medieval style, with East at the top and not particularly to scale. The research was fun.
I thought about using some art swiped from the Batgirl comics, but trimming one to the right size seemed like more work than it was worth.
http://www.bat-hound.com/batgirl/nosurprise.jpg

-Barbara

threedogpeople
12-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Mine is a head shot of an Ibizan Hound. I have yet to get all 3 of my dogs in a one frame, they don't mind well enough to sit for me while I take their picture.

rhymegirl
12-01-2005, 01:02 AM
To answer your question:

<-------------I have never seen this person before in my life. But I figured, okay, she's smiling, I'll use her pic. :) (just kidding, don't get nervous)

robeiae
12-01-2005, 03:37 AM
All my avatars are self-explanatory.

Rob :)

SC Harrison
12-01-2005, 04:13 AM
Being electronically challenged, I too chose from the stock avatar listing.

He is The Hermit, an occupation I find strangely appealing. Whether this desire stems from a wish to get away from it all or a recognition that I am destined to walk a lonely path, I have no idea.

A more likely reason is: I wanted to look aloof and cool, neither of which I actually am.

Puddle Jumper
12-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Once upon a time when I had time to waste I played around at neopets and that's what my neopet looked like. Since my username is puddle jumper and it's a jumping cat - I thought it fit well for my username - as cats tend to hate water and all that and it's jumping. :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I don't have one. I haven't figured out how to get a custom avatar on here yet. :(

MacAllister
12-01-2005, 10:48 PM
You can't put one up til after you've made 50 posts, ShadowFerret.

Somewhere around here is a "Pad your posts" thread, for just that very reason. I don't suppose anyone has a link? *rummaging around in bag of tricks*

Jaycinth
12-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Self Explanatory. Bad Fairy.( If I could figure how to make it bigger, you'd see.) A very nice, wonderful person picked it out for me!!!

Shadow_Ferret
12-02-2005, 01:48 AM

Somewhere around here is a "Pad your posts" thread, for just that very reason. I don't suppose anyone has a link? *rummaging around in bag of tricks*
Aw! That ain't fair. I had several hundred at the ezboard place. :(

trumancoyote
12-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Mine's of me smokin' by a tree. One of my most favoritest things to do... aside from masturbatin' by trees, that is.

poetinahat
12-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Hat, courtesy of PrettySpecialGal. Wicked, innit?

It sits atop a photo of me, at lunch in the bistro opposite the Art Gallery of New South Wales, on our first gallery outing after our daughter was born.

kathompson
12-02-2005, 04:35 AM
I just picked one of the generic avatars, because I couldn't figure out how to use one of my own pictures...

jst5150
12-02-2005, 04:40 AM
Mine is John Kerry in college. Rare photo. ;-)

Shadow_Ferret
12-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Well, I made it -- the old fashioned way. I earned it.

Now how do i do that avatar thing? :(

Sarita
12-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Mine's me. :) I change it to a more recent photo every now and then. This one was taken in November.

SF- look to the right hand side of the top of the screen. Click on "QUICK LINKS" and choose EDIT AVATAR. From there you have to have a small image, I think 80 X 80. PM me if you need help.

DamaNegra
12-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Mine's my dog, Rosca. She's so sweet!! I love her. In the picture, she's sniffing at the camera and it ended up looking real cool, so I decided to put it up. :D

William Haskins
12-13-2005, 11:15 PM
mine is my driver's license photo

Lantern Jack
12-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Well, my father had just left this Q-tip lying about with a pu$$y gob of ear accumulation (he wanted to show my mother) and the spirit just moved me (and one should never quarrel with the spirit.

Plus, I have the added Everybody Loves Raymond spectacle of them tearing the house apart, trying to allocate it.

Uh, Tee and Hee with a dashing dash in betwixt.

Shadow_Ferret
12-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Got it! Thanks.

And I think it's self-explanatory what mine is.

stormie
12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
My avatar is a paradox. I live near the ocean, the photo was taken on a calm spring morning but my temperament sometimes (my family would say many times) strays toward the stormy side.

Yeshanu
12-14-2005, 01:09 AM
I wish I could say that picture was me, or that I was the photographer, but I'd be fibbing and we can't have that, now, can we? (What? We can?!?! In that case, my figure hasn't changed since high school.)

Okay, if we can lie, then...

It's me. Really. At least in my dreams...

robeiae
12-14-2005, 01:31 AM
mine is my driver's license photo
Then you must remove your hat, sir!

louisgodwin
12-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Mine is just me face. Nothing fancy. But I did have another one for a short time around halloween. I wanted to make a special avatar, something that would make me look really evil.

Unique
12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
:scared: and it worked!

September skies
12-17-2005, 09:54 AM
After almost three months of having Sophia Loren as my avatar (I love her pic with that pretty hat) -- I decided to change it to one of me.

So, here I am disguised as a cat (my daughter said I was a leopard) last October.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
12-17-2005, 09:59 AM
its the closest i'll ever get

Lantern Jack
12-17-2005, 10:27 AM
I must confess to being curiously aroused by Pee Dee's Avatar...

Liam Jackson
12-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Mine is a pic of Maestro, just before he bathed in hot water and shrunk.

September skies
12-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Mine is a pic of Maestro, just before he bathed in hot water and shrunk.

hmmm....funny, it doesn't look like el Maestro. (oh, you must have changed it since unless you mean 'bathed in hot water and had his color removed' LOL)

Speaking of:
Why did the Maestro remove his avatar and where has he been hiding?
Has he gone and pulled a Haskins on us or have some of you seen him?

Puddle Jumper
12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
I got a new avatar. Thought it was time for a change. I spliced a couple images together from "The Neverending Story." One of my favorite movies. I always loved the Childlike Emperess's character so there's her Ivory Tower in the background and her hand holding the one grain of sand that she passed on to Bastian to let his dreams and wishes come true. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get that little grain of sand? When I was little, I remember sitting on the end of my bed pretending to be her and reciting her lines from the end of the movie.

I love the moral to the story and thought it appropriate for this forum. The moral to the story, at least in the movie as I haven't yet read the book but plan to one day, is that people should read more books. Great moral. Fantasia was the world of human fantasy but was being destroyed because of humans who stopped making up stories for fictional characters.

So... that's my new avatar and why I have it. :)

OneTeam OneDream
03-15-2006, 10:15 PM
It is funny how many times we all change our avatars, hardly any of them match what we said here. My new one is a logo of the nickname my employees have for me. The nickname however is not original, it was first taken by Christian Cage, current N W A champion.

Godfather
03-15-2006, 10:38 PM
its me in my room, with my hat pulled down over my eyes.

deep huh?

Noob
03-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Its a part of a bad photo of myself. But then agein, i dont have many photos of me. I usually hide when a camera is around, since i hate them.

"I have hair down to my bum but I couldn't get it all in the picture. I have chestnut brown hair with a red flair to it." someone said here... and it could describe mine.. or its not to my bum anymore, but somewhere between my hipps and my bum :)

Maybe some day i will need to get a real photo taken, if i get published (i can hope) *s* Maybe i survive it, if i get really really really really REALLY drunk first :D

cool_st_elizabeth
03-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I got my Icee avatar right here at Absolute Write. It goes well with cool_st_elizabeth.

William Haskins
03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
i believe that you may now upload your own, having exceeded 50 posts.

Prosthetic Foreheads
03-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Mine is a painting I did a couple of years ago. The blue/green border is a quilt (we laid the painting on a bed for the picture). There's slightly bigger, clearer version of the pic on my profile page. Most of my paintings are crap. A couple are okay. Decide for yourself which this one is.

cool_st_elizabeth
03-16-2006, 12:17 AM
i believe that you may now upload your own, having exceeded 50 posts.

I know, but I still like the Icee one!

Jeneral
03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
I have a folder full of avatars, but they're all sized for my LiveJournal and are too big for AW. The Blue Sun logo was the only one I had that was small enough. I may replace it later if I get inspired by something.

JoeEkaitis
03-16-2006, 12:45 AM
I chose my current avatar to remind us of how silly we men looked with those collar-hiding billowy cascades of hair. Thank God we all grew up and came to our senses:

http://writersbbs.com/members/joeekaitis/headshot.jpg

Oh, never mind.

William Haskins
03-16-2006, 12:49 AM
I know, but I still like the Icee one!

okee dokee.

rich
03-16-2006, 12:58 AM
I took mine off the rack, but I'm still thinking of a change.

ChaosTitan
03-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Howling Mad Murdock

Chaostitan

I feel that needs no further explanation. :hat:

cool_st_elizabeth
03-16-2006, 01:04 AM
okee dokee.
If I ever change it, I might use this pic of my 3-year-old neighbor wearing my hat & glasses. He said, "Now I look like Elibizif!"

trumancoyote
03-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Mine's me sitting on a tree at the Ming Tombs in baChina.

I stole my teachers umbrella, ran up the side of the tree and, to my dismay, dropped my cigarette.

I was very pretty that day, nevertheless.

DamaNegra
03-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Mine's Goten!! From Dragon Ball Z!! He's cute!! :D

Jcomp
03-16-2006, 02:55 AM
The hand of the zombie person from the book Xombies. I just like the image. It's my wallpaper on my work computer, always freaks the new tech guys out when they have to come work on something. Muwahahahahahahaha-*cough*-*cough*-*hack*-*wheeze*.....

Carole
03-16-2006, 03:04 AM
GIR, the "pet" robot of Invader Zim. He's not supposed to be Zim's pet, but that's sorta how it ends up. Under the green doggie suit with the huge eyes, he looks more like a robot. He's an alien "under discover" in his suit.

This is GIR out of his suit, and standing on his head. What a cutie!

Lantern Jack
03-16-2006, 03:19 AM
It's a footballer bicycle kicking a fellow footballer in the fellows. It sort of compliments my sig, no?

madderblue
03-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Mine's a Kappa (and a fish) ...a sorta Japanese mythical water creature who enjoys sumo wrestling and pulling your shirikodama* out your butt. They also like to nibble cucumbers and fart alot. So you can see why I'm so smitten with these little guys...(I am looking for a better picture as well).

*I've seen this translated as Soul Ball and various internal organs. It is said when you loose it you turn into a sissy...TrumanC. any better ideas for a translation?

trumancoyote
03-16-2006, 03:42 AM
That's some hard **** to translate. I'd just call it a butt-ball. But for fear of it being mistaken for a certain sex-toy, I s'pose one could translate it as 'mojo' -- mojo that resides in your anus.

madderblue
03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Gosh, Truman did we (me?) just kill a thread with all that talk of anal orbs and mojo? :o

Noob
03-17-2006, 09:40 PM
I chose my current avatar to remind us of how silly we men looked with those collar-hiding billowy cascades of hair. Thank God we all grew up and came to our senses:

http://writersbbs.com/members/joeekaitis/headshot.jpg

Oh, never mind.

hehe

(not that i say you look silly, its your words) *s*

Dawno
03-17-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm sure I don't need to explain this one at all :)

tiny
03-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Mine's a picture of me after a long night drinking. Ain't I cute.

Pat~
03-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Mine was recently changed to this one; I couldn't resist it, as it went so well with the quote in my signature.

Jean Marie
03-18-2006, 12:34 AM
I think mine is self-explanatory too http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

dancingandflying
03-18-2006, 02:28 AM
okay... i've made fifty posts, and i still can't get my own avatar. help... please!

madderblue
03-18-2006, 02:32 AM
okay... i've made fifty posts, and i still can't get my own avatar. help... please!

This thread may help. I just had that same problem.;)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28939

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-18-2006, 03:03 AM
Okay. So I started reading this thread, thinking it was 'new'! Then I noticed that the descriptions didn't fit some of the avatars... then I was so confused...

Finally, someone pointed that fact out and relief flooded my soul. I knew I hadn't had THAT much green beer for lunch!

Oh. And my avatar is Maxine, my personal hero and write-in candidate for President in 2008.

veinglory
Hmm. The picture is my motorcycle jacket, recently retired because I finally learned how to drive a car. The rainbow heart represents my main writing genre (gay romance) and the word is my pen name.web domain...

veinglory
I'm sure I don't need to explain this one at all :)

Oh, Dawno. [sigh] ;)

BlackCrowesChick
03-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Mine is John Lennon on the cover of Rubber Soul. Its my favorite Beatles album...although I've been partial to some other ones of theirs of late. Its one of my favorite pictures of him, too. I've had this one for awhile and I have some ideas for a new one, so I might end up changing it before long. Not sure yet.

majiklmoon
03-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Mine is a cut from the Rider Waite Tarot Dec. The card is the Star. The star is a wonderful card to get in reading. It is the culmination of your hopes and dreams...your wishes will come true. I thought it to be very fitting :)

Puddle Jumper
05-23-2006, 03:53 AM
My new avatar is of an actor having some down-time on the sets of one of his films.

I'll give a rep point to the first person who can figure out who the actor is and another if you can figure out what movie. :)

Anya Smith
05-23-2006, 04:12 AM
Mine is a picture of me a year ago, when I'm not in my dragon mode.

SpookyWriter
05-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Guess

Puddle Jumper
05-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Guess
You and your wife?

SpookyWriter
05-23-2006, 04:24 AM
You and your wife?Close. But she'd been dead for three hundred and fifty years.

Puddle Jumper
05-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Close. But she'd been dead for three hundred and fifty years.
Oh I'm sorry, and you've never remarried since? That must make you the oldest person alive. So are you what, 370-390 years old? :)

Serenity
05-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Mine was Illyria, from Angel. Now it's Conner Trinneer, who I will be meeting in a month and a half at Shore Leave in Hunt Valley (Baltimore).

Excited, hell yes. But triple that with meeting Jamie Bamber and Kent McCord.

aadams73
05-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Mine is my ragdoll kitty, Lacey. It was taken in the peaceful days(9 or so months ago) before we got our English Springer Spaniel, back when she was able to curl up under the table without fear of being treated as a big fluffy toy.

SpookyWriter
05-23-2006, 04:28 AM
Oh I'm sorry, and you've never remarried since? That must make you the oldest person alive. So are you what, 370-390 years old? :)Feels that way sometimes.

ChaosTitan
05-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Guess

Corpses from The Devil's Rejects?

Mine latest is Buffy and the Gang from the episode "Tabula Rasa." Hilarious ep.

BottomlessCup
05-23-2006, 06:33 AM
It's an assterisk.

Maryn
05-23-2006, 06:52 AM
My new avatar is of an actor having some down-time on the sets of one of his films.

I'll give a rep point to the first person who can figure out who the actor is and another if you can figure out what movie. :)Any chance you can show us the same image but larger? It's so small he could be anybody.

Maryn, wondering if the picture is of her

AOD23
05-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Mine is of a Hoplite that I reveresed the coloring on, only reason I have it really is because my current WIP is about a Hoplite, so figured it fits.

Stew21
05-23-2006, 07:01 AM
It's an assterisk.

whew! what a relief!...I was worried about that one! :D

Oh, and I've explained mine before, that's husband and two sons walking on a trail in the woods.

SpookyWriter
05-23-2006, 07:33 AM
My old avatar was from Jean Louis Théodore Géricault "Decapitate of prepared". His other works are here Géricault (http://www.arthistory-famousartists-paintings.com/TheodoreGericault.html)

http://www.andriaroberto.com/Gericault%20-%20Teste%20di%20Giustiziati.jpg

Puddle Jumper
05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Any chance you can show us the same image but larger? It's so small he could be anybody.

Maryn, wondering if the picture is of her
Certainly. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/DanielJackson/slideguy.jpg

LeslieB
05-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Mine has a bit of a story behind it. Back when I was in college (and dinosaurs roamed the Earth) I met my husband in a D&D game. We became part of a regular gaming group, and it was a great bunch of guys, but the thing was... it was a bunch of guys. They hadn't really played with a girl in the group before, and even though my character was a warrior (with better stats than any of them) they kept putting me in the back to guard the wizard.

Obviously that got old fast. So to make my position clear, one night I decided to take action. We were battling one of the main baddies, and during the fight I licked some of his blood off my sword and taunted him that I'd be drinking the rest shortly. It rattled the bad guy. It also rattled my fellow players. :D They weren't used to such, ahem, aggressive play.

It did work, though. After that I was on the front line, mowing through hordes of monsters. I never had a bit of trouble with that group again, and we all became great friends. Not to mention I married one of them. ;)

Years later, my husband found my avatar pic on a T-shirt of all places, with the motto "Revenge is Sweet". Though it is a bit hard to see from the size of the picture here, the woman in the picture is licking the blood off her sword. Since my hair is as red as my avatar's, he had to get it for me. I still have the shirt, and when I started posting at boards I tracked down a copy of the picture to use. It has become my regular icon wherever I post. My husband thinks it is perfect, because he says it matches certain aspects of my personality.

So the end of the tale is that my avatar is (as my husband swears) the inner me.

WVWriterGirl
05-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Certainly. :)

(Picture removed)

This looks to me like it's Kurt Russell on the set of Stargate, many many moons ago.

So...did I score?

Melisande
05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Mine is Death, from Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot deck, artist: Frieda Harris.
It symbolizes, amongst other things, a transition or new beginning.
I had to make some serious cuts to the picture, though, in order to fit it to the size allowed.

Puddle Jumper
05-24-2006, 03:32 AM
(Picture removed)

This looks to me like it's Kurt Russell on the set of Stargate, many many moons ago.

So...did I score?
Yup on both. Like I said, two rep point.

Although I think I accidentally gave LeslieB a rep point for that guess, I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize I hit the wrong person's rep thingy. Oh well.

:)

It was on the set of the interior of Ra's ship. I guess the floor material was so delicate that when they weren't actually filming, the cast had to wear booties and I believe the crew wore booties. I captured that from the extra stuff on the DVD where they said they had decorate your booty parties.