What do you spend most of your time daydreaming about?

I spend most of my time daydreaming about...

• My WIP!

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • "Wish-fulfillment" daydreams!

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Something else entirely (which I'll state in a post)!

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Love, sex, books I wish existed so I could read them, video games I wish existed so I could play them, and food I'm not allowed to eat or which is not available at the moment.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Too many things to list, and some very odd!

I do daydream about my WsIP very often, but I don't spend all day (most days) thinking about them. Some days I do, though :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... daydreaming is for losers.
If you want something go out and get it.
There are a billion joes and janes who fantasize about wanting this and that.
Ask them a billion years later if they're any closer to getting it and you know what the answer will be.
NO!

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
... daydreaming is for losers.
If you want something go out and get it.
There are a billion joes and janes who fantasize about wanting this and that.
Ask them a billion years later if they're any closer to getting it and you know what the answer will be.
NO!
Nonsense; that's a false conflict. Daydreaming, and working toward what you want, are in no way incompatible; for most of us, the initial fantasy is part of the process.

Daydreaming is an invaluable ability. Hard to see how one could be an effective writer without the facility to fantasize (unless one is strictly a technical or otherwise nonfiction writer -- and I'd wager most of those do some daydreaming too).

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I also daydream of killing people I hate in horrible ways. Its better than daydreaming about sex depending on my mood

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any daydreams. I only dream at night.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Nonsense; that's a false conflict. Daydreaming, and working toward what you want, are in no way incompatible; for most of us, the initial fantasy is part of the process.

Daydreaming is an invaluable ability. Hard to see how one could be an effective writer without the facility to fantasize (unless one is strictly a technical or otherwise nonfiction writer -- and I'd wager most of those do some daydreaming too).

... would have to disagree. I'm going by what I see in everyday life. Those who achieve things take action rather than thinking about acting. Sure they plan, but that's not daydreaming. It's preparation.

Writers are a bit of a different animal and differ in some ways from the general population. You have a point with the basis of stories sometimes being wish fulfilling fantasies on the part of authors. That's still not exactly daydreaming. It's part of the craft, though in a technical sense of the term I suppose you're right.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I also daydream of killing people I hate in horrible ways.

... what you need to do is express your feelings more, rather than bottling them up. If someone is bugging you in your life let them know, in a calm manner with words. When you do your hate will go away and you'll feel a lot better. (I'm not the best with expressing myself, either.)

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Personally, I don't see daydreaming as taking away from action at all unless you're daydreaming when you would otherwise be doing something productive. Me, I daydream most during dull meetings, car trips, and when I'm falling asleep at night... how does that take away from me pursuing my dreams in the slightest?

Anyway, mixture of WIP-daydreaming and wish-fulfilment here, both of which help keep me fueled to write. And of course, sex sometimes, and sometimes about what life will be like with the baby I'll soon have, thanks to the former set of daydreams!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
... what you need to do is express your feelings more, rather than bottling them up. If someone is bugging you in your life let them know, in a calm manner with words. When you do your hate will go away and you'll feel a lot better. (I'm not the best with expressing myself, either.)

The man who sexually abused me as a child is on the internet making jokes about it. If I could find him I would remove his face calmly with a rusty knife

Status
Not open for further replies.