PDA

View Full Version : What do you spend most of your time daydreaming about?

Question
10-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Hmmm?

Wayne K
10-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Love

Fruitbat
10-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Wieners.

:roll:

Wayne K
10-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Same thing :D

Polenth
10-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Fungus.

scarletpeaches
10-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Violent sex with James Purefoy.

Well you did ask.

Deizelcore
10-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Some random chick.

Velma deSelby Bowen
10-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Sex and cooking.

Paul
10-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Sex and cooking.
tried it. dangerous.

stormie
10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
The next storm.

sunandshadow
10-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Love, sex, books I wish existed so I could read them, video games I wish existed so I could play them, and food I'm not allowed to eat or which is not available at the moment.

backslashbaby
10-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Too many things to list, and some very odd!

I do daydream about my WsIP very often, but I don't spend all day (most days) thinking about them. Some days I do, though :)

bearilou
10-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Violent sex with James Purefoy.

Well you did ask.

*camps in SP's corner*

I daydream about my WiP. And sex for my characters in my WiP.

And cool battle scenes.

And cool magic scenes.

...with sex.

Libbie
10-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Sex.

Honestly.

Libbie
10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
I think most of us are on the same page here.

scarletpeaches
10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Women daydreaming about sex? Who'd'a thunk it?

Ken
10-21-2011, 03:50 PM
... daydreaming is for losers.
If you want something go out and get it.
There are a billion joes and janes who fantasize about wanting this and that.
Ask them a billion years later if they're any closer to getting it and you know what the answer will be.
NO!

Manuel Royal
10-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Ask them a billion years later if they're any closer to getting it and you know what the answer will be.
NO!Nonsense; that's a false conflict. Daydreaming, and working toward what you want, are in no way incompatible; for most of us, the initial fantasy is part of the process.

Daydreaming is an invaluable ability. Hard to see how one could be an effective writer without the facility to fantasize (unless one is strictly a technical or otherwise nonfiction writer -- and I'd wager most of those do some daydreaming too).

jaksen
10-21-2011, 04:13 PM
People who visualize or 'daydream' things are often those who go out and do that very thing.

I know I have.

Wayne K
10-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I also daydream of killing people I hate in horrible ways. Its better than daydreaming about sex depending on my mood

rhymegirl
10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't have any daydreams. I only dream at night.

Ken
10-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Nonsense; that's a false conflict. Daydreaming, and working toward what you want, are in no way incompatible; for most of us, the initial fantasy is part of the process.

Daydreaming is an invaluable ability. Hard to see how one could be an effective writer without the facility to fantasize (unless one is strictly a technical or otherwise nonfiction writer -- and I'd wager most of those do some daydreaming too).

... would have to disagree. I'm going by what I see in everyday life. Those who achieve things take action rather than thinking about acting. Sure they plan, but that's not daydreaming. It's preparation.

Writers are a bit of a different animal and differ in some ways from the general population. You have a point with the basis of stories sometimes being wish fulfilling fantasies on the part of authors. That's still not exactly daydreaming. It's part of the craft, though in a technical sense of the term I suppose you're right.

Ken
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I also daydream of killing people I hate in horrible ways.

... what you need to do is express your feelings more, rather than bottling them up. If someone is bugging you in your life let them know, in a calm manner with words. When you do your hate will go away and you'll feel a lot better. (I'm not the best with expressing myself, either.)

AlwaysJuly
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Personally, I don't see daydreaming as taking away from action at all unless you're daydreaming when you would otherwise be doing something productive. Me, I daydream most during dull meetings, car trips, and when I'm falling asleep at night... how does that take away from me pursuing my dreams in the slightest?

Anyway, mixture of WIP-daydreaming and wish-fulfilment here, both of which help keep me fueled to write. And of course, sex sometimes, and sometimes about what life will be like with the baby I'll soon have, thanks to the former set of daydreams!

Wayne K
10-21-2011, 05:03 PM
... what you need to do is express your feelings more, rather than bottling them up. If someone is bugging you in your life let them know, in a calm manner with words. When you do your hate will go away and you'll feel a lot better. (I'm not the best with expressing myself, either.)

The man who sexually abused me as a child is on the internet making jokes about it. If I could find him I would remove his face calmly with a rusty knife

scarletpeaches
10-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Those who achieve things take action rather than thinking about acting. Sure they plan, but that's not daydreaming. It's preparation.Semantics.

One has to imagine something before deciding to do it.
The man who sexually abused me as a child is on the internet making jokes about it. If I could find him I would remove his face calmly with a rusty knifeAnd I'd hold him down while you did it.

(I know how to support my friends -- with alibis and violence.)

quicklime
10-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Exactly.

If someone bothers you, just tell them "You know, sometimes, I want to take a fork and pop it right into your shiny little eye, fuckwad."

You'll spend less time daydreaming about it, and less time conversing with the offender after that as well.

Seriously, I daydream about sex, mostly. Just not violent sex with Purefoy. (in my dreams he's a tender and considerate lover :tongue)

to the op, you may be surprised at the answers. there are sort of two camps of writers, those who it consumes and those how consider it a job. Yes, there is overlap and in-between, but a lot of folks seem to shake out towards one sode or the other. The "consumed" daydream their work, jobbers don't as much. Certainly ideas come and go, but not as often as thoughts of sex, apparently.

(I have a strong hunch which camp is more fun to get drunk with.....)

quicklime
10-21-2011, 05:22 PM
The man who sexually abused me as a child is on the internet making jokes about it. If I could find him I would remove his face calmly with a rusty knife

Christ, saw this after my other post--put me in line w/ scarlet to hold him; we'll even head to the store for duct tape and rock salt

Jamesaritchie
10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I spend very, very little time daydreaming. Planning, yes, but daydreaming, no. Maybe "fantasizing" is a better world than "daydreaming"?

I try to stay focused on what I can actually do, and how I can get it done.

But there is that persistent Reba McEntire/Shania Twain thing.

scarletpeaches
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Purefoy, tender and considerate? Have you seen the way that guy smirks? He'd backhand you before he softly kissed your lips.

Which is why I love 'im! :D

Ivi942
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Just wondering - what difference does it make if the knife is rusty? I've heard that phrase before, but never understood it. Does it hurt more?

I usually daydream about my current wip and any other stories I have. Mostly about the characters doing silly stuff, though I do discover major plot points during math class once in a while. Recently I've been doing crossovers - thinking up all of those 'What if' scenarios is very interesting!

...And of course, sex(though lately it's been more about seduction), featuring either my own characters or ones from another source, though I don't mix different series together.

scarletpeaches
10-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Rusty knife = more chance of blood poisoning if you leave them half-dead as opposed to completely RIP. Means they die in agony as opposed to quickly and cleanly.

And even if blood poisoning doesn't happen, the rust makes for a jagged cut. Keeps the wound open for longer.

quicklime
10-21-2011, 05:31 PM
a sharp knife slices cleanly. on a microscale, a rusty knife grabs and tears. Much more painful, as anyone can tell you who has been sliced by both a razor and something like an old pocketknife, a soup-can lid, etc....

quicklime
10-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Purefoy, tender and considerate? Have you seen the way that guy smirks? He'd backhand you before he softly kissed your lips.

Which is why I love 'im! :D

I don't know who he is, other than your sometime avatar (blasphemy, I know). Nothing personal to him, but my dreams tend to feature remarkably few men. Pretty much just me, sometimes even I'm not around....

Storm Surge
10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Those who achieve things take action rather than thinking about acting. Sure they plan, but that's not daydreaming. It's preparation.

I use daydreaming as planning. In fact for real world situations I treat things I have to do like I would if I were planning a scene for a story. I run through every possible combination of events and reactions until I feel I can handle anything that might happen. If I act without thinking, every bad things happen. To me.

Oh, goodness, I wish things worked like this. Telling people that you think they are stupid jerks who ought to die usually makes you enemies and doesn't guaranty that they'll leave you alone. I told my ex that I was through with him and didn't want to see him. What did he do? He came to my house twice and tried to come and say "hi" if he saw me in public. I had to be extremely rude to him in front of other people before he would stop. Except that didn't stop him from trying to email or talk to me online. I had to block him on everything.

As for the poll, I'm sort of in every category. I alternate between WIP, wish fulfilment, possible real things, and any random idea that might have struck my fancy. Day dreaming is my favorite thing to do. :)

Becky Black
10-21-2011, 06:07 PM
People who visualize or 'daydream' things are often those who go out and do that very thing.

I know I have.

Exactly! Me too. It's a survival trait too. People who have the ability to think about something they are planning to do and imagine how to do it and what might transpire if they do have a better chance of surviving than those who jump in with both feet without thinking. Daydreaming is just a form of planning.

For me it's the WIP. Or more generally just characters. Even characters from stories I finished writing a while back. Or other poeple's characters. They're always playing out little scenes in my head. Some of which end up in stories, some don't.

scarletpeaches
10-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I call it 'creative visualisation'.

Ken
10-21-2011, 06:13 PM

... that's messed up. I can understand the knife. Best thing to do would probably be to put it all behind you and ignore the idiot at this point. Maybe join an organization to prevent this sort of atrocity from happening to other youngsters? G'luck. Stay strong.

BenPanced
10-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Semantics.

One has to imagine something before deciding to do it.And I'd hold him down while you did it.

(I know how to support my friends -- with alibis and violence.)

A true friend would offer to buy the quicklime and drive the getaway car...

quicklime
10-21-2011, 06:36 PM
A true friend would offer to buy the quicklime and drive the getaway car...

I'm right here.

although i can ABSOLUTELY be bought...

Shadow_Ferret
10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Um. *backs slowly out of the death thread*

quicklime
10-21-2011, 07:59 PM
milwaukee, right?

*gases up car

Drachen Jager
10-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I spend most of my daydream time thinking about my WIP, sometimes because I want to and sometimes because I force it upon myself. I know that if I don't daydream about it I won't be any good at writing it, so I might as well give up on the whole idea of being a writer.

Jamesaritchie
10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I spend most of my daydream time thinking about my WIP, sometimes because I want to and sometimes because I force it upon myself. I know that if I don't daydream about it I won't be any good at writing it, so I might as well give up on the whole idea of being a writer.

Doesn't work this way for me. The last thing I want to think about when not writing is writing.

backslashbaby
10-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Wayne, I believe Freud would say you need to take it to art, so daydreaming makes sense to me. Surely you've written a few nifty death scenes for him? Maybe even have a book burning party afterwards :D

Shadow_Ferret
10-21-2011, 11:24 PM
It always amazes me how semantics always get in the way.

Call it daydreaming, brainstorming, conceptualizing, mapping things out, preplanning, prewriting, visualizing, or what have you, we all do it. Nothing would get accomplished if we didn't let our imagination mull over an idea.

But as far as the OP's question on what do I spend time daydreaming about the most... I can't say there is any one specific thing. As a person with lifelong ADHD, I've spent every waking minute where I should be focused on one thing, thinking about something else unrelated.

SuzanneSeese
10-22-2011, 03:10 AM
I daydream about the novel I have to write because I can't get it out of my head. I'm not ready to write a novel yet but it gets in the way of my "why don't you get published first" writing. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to start working on it a little each day and then maybe it will clear my mind and free up some brain cells.

bearilou
10-22-2011, 03:23 AM
NO!

Hm...

Considering my daydreaming scenes ends up with me writing them into the WiP...

....sure, whatever you say. It's for losers.

JessicaJoy
10-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Hehe call me crazy, I daydream about work. (I'm an artist) Drawing and writing. I daydream about the things I want to work on next, you could call it brainstorming, but it's daydreaming to me. I create stories, and characters, and pick my favorites and than choose the best way to bring them to life (through art or writing), than I work on it, all the while still daydreaming.
I used to sit up in trees with notebooks (or sometimes without) just creating new stories for only myself.

Hiroko
10-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I daydream all the time, about anything and everything (well, most things). That includes quite a bit of time daydreaming about my WIP and what I can bring next to it.

benbradley
10-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I daydream about cooking as well - about putting a bun in the oven.

Elijah Sydney
10-22-2011, 10:47 AM
I used to daydream a lot more than I do now, and to be honest, I miss it. These days there seems to be so much to do, so many things which suppress my imagination Ė so much entertainment that I donít need to make my own.

Thatís why I like the actual process of reading and writing so much. They force me to daydream.

Kill TV, internet, video games, and any form of occupation which demands too much of your head space, I say.

bearilou
10-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Kill TV, internet, video games, and any form of occupation which demands too much of your head space, I say.

I daydream about video games, but that's a whole 'nuther kind of daydreaming. :drool

KellyAssauer
10-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Worry has replaced most of my daydreams, but if I do fantasize at all anymore, it's usually about being in a far more secure place than where I am now.

AlishaS
10-23-2011, 04:38 AM
I put my WIP but honestly, I think of a lot more than just that. One for sure would be future novels, what I will do with my boatloads of money I'll have once I become succesful and well of course sell millions of books! Just kidding.

Seriously though, a lot of my time is spend brainstorming, planning and regular everyday things like bills, chores and my son.

2011's dreamer
10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
When I'm stuck at work, all I do is daydream about my writin and whether or not I'll ever be published. Well, at least I've gotten to the queryin process. Not too long ago, I thought I would never finish a novel.

Sure, sex is great. It's especially a want for me since I'm vowin not to masturbate for 3 months (not just that. It's no ejaculation whatsoever. I'm on day 24.), but that don't count!

Al Stevens
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't spend most of my time daydreaming.

Carrie in PA
10-27-2011, 06:32 PM
It always amazes me how semantics always get in the way.

Call it daydreaming, brainstorming, conceptualizing, mapping things out, preplanning, prewriting, visualizing, or what have you, we all do it. Nothing would get accomplished if we didn't let our imagination mull over an idea.

But as far as the OP's question on what do I spend time daydreaming about the most... I can't say there is any one specific thing. As a person with lifelong ADHD, I've spent every waking minute where I should be focused on one thing, thinking about something else unrelated.

Yeah, that.

Faide
10-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I daydream about my WiP. And sex for my characters in my WiP.

And cool battle scenes.

This.

Also, my characters' childhoods/backgrounds, sometimes certain video games, how cool it'd be to be a knight, how nice it'd be to have a boyfriend, England... but mostly my WiPs.

I enjoy daydreaming. I daydream a lot.

adarkfox
10-28-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm lucky some days to have a repetitive job to do (weed a sh!t load of vinyl cut with intricate tiny things, perhaps) at work and I drive a LOT per day... I zone. Mostly interstate driving so especially when I put the tunes on I just daydream/brainstorm about the scenes I'm working through or plot things... When my internal monologue shuts up the characters finally talk.

mario_c
10-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Yeah, with my job (and to whoever is reading this, probably yours too) a mental happy place is necessary to retreat into for a few minutes' siesta* I divide mine between intense movie set action and big sailboats. And, you know, the sex thing.

*For you south European AWers, we don't get siesta in America. Can I move in with you for a few decades? People are way too uptight over here.

BigWords
10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
I spend an inordinate amount of time daydreaming about Abby.

Um... Don't direct her to this thread. :D

Margarita Skies
10-30-2011, 12:28 AM
My daydreams are about Adam Lambert, and they're anything but sexual fantasies. Mod: Edit those last few words out if they were disrespectful.

But this is my daydream. Either performing some of his songs on stage or enjoying his concert.

JBuck
10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
I always dream about my WIP and as others have said, it leads to future chapters etc. So pretty productive overall.
I have three kids and I'm normally ferrying them around, but if I have the luxury of being a passenger in a car, I daydream like crazy. And for some reason, in the car, its usually the kissing scenes for my latest WIP.
Also, if I'm listening to someone drone on about something really boring at a party or family do, my brain will start drifting to one of my scenes and then all of a sudden I remember I'm supposed to be listening and I'm like, crap, what did they just say?
Lastly, I daydream about being a successful writer! This sounds really dorky, but I imagine which actors will play my characters in movies and then I meet them and we become great friends and they dedicate their Oscar to me...

Margarita Skies
10-30-2011, 11:14 PM
I also daydream a lot about my WIP, but it's usually in the day time when I just woke up, and you know what I did with my latest scenes?? Since I didn't feel strong enough to write them down to avoid forgetting them, well, I used my mp4 device which also serves as a player of local radio stations, picture holder and voice recorder, well I recorded a three-minute long voice clip with my next scenes and now I am about to build chapters based on those. I also wrote a whole outline in a composition 89-cent notebook yesterday so I don't have to come up with scenes for a few days. :e2cheer:

Atlantis
10-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Sex.
My book.
My next book I'm planning to write.
Worrying about how to hell I'm going to market my book coming out next year.
Men.
Sex.
My wedding...which is this week now!! This has been a long running day dream of mine for the past 2 years. Its going to be weird when I'm finally living it.

bearilou
10-31-2011, 04:36 PM
My wedding...which is this week now!! This has been a long running day dream of mine for the past 2 years. Its going to be weird when I'm finally living it.

:e2cheer: :partyguy: :hooray: :PartySmil :snoopy: :banana: :TheWave:

grats!