Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
Yeah - I have a request for a full!

EEEK! - I realize I'm not sure how to follow the agent's instructions.

Here is her email to me:

Please do send me a copy of the book, and an outline and your promotion plan, with SASE & phone #

I'm okay with getting together the manuscript, outline, and promotion plan - but what sort of SASE is she probably expecting? A business-sized envelope for a letter, or something big enough to return both my 350-page manuscript and a letter? (I would like the MS back, if possible.)

Should I just go ahead and send a huge envelope, hoping she'll use it? How should I package the bundle for mailing?

Yikes, this is a bit more complicated than I thought.

Thank you for any guidance, I appreciate your help.

Evelyn

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - I have a request for a full!

EEEK! - I realize I'm not sure how to follow the agent's instructions.

Here is her email to me:

Please do send me a copy of the book, and an outline and your promotion plan, with SASE & phone #

I'm okay with getting together the manuscript, outline, and promotion plan - but what sort of SASE is she probably expecting? A business-sized envelope for a letter, or something big enough to return both my 350-page manuscript and a letter? (I would like the MS back, if possible.)

Should I just go ahead and send a huge envelope, hoping she'll use it? How should I package the bundle for mailing?

Yikes, this is a bit more complicated than I thought.

Thank you for any guidance, I appreciate your help.

Evelyn

Why do you want the ms back?

I'd enclose an envelope with correct postage, the size required for a folded piece of paper. I would also include permission to recycle the manuscript should the answer be a "no."

And huge congratulations on your request for a full!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Include a SASE for whatever you want back.

If you want the entire manuscript back, then go to the office supply store and get a 8 1/2 by 11 box. But the pages and everything in the box. Get your return postage and all that stuff on the box. Then stuff the SASB into a tyvek envelope for the actual sending of everything.

Using the box keeps the book from being mangled on the way there, mostly. Not getting mangled pages is a good thing. ;)

If you just want the response, then include the note that your ms is recyclable and put in a standard SASE.

Not that complicated at all.

Good luck!

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Evelyn, if you want the entire manuscript back then put in an appropriate size envelope and postage.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Look into the agent. I have never heard of a good agency that requires submission of materials through snail mail. There are only a scant handful who do it at all, and the only one I know of with a sales record has a reputation for non responses on fulls (yes, after you spend $20 or more to mail it to them!).

As for the SASE, all it needs to be is letter-sized. They want to be able to send you a response by mail, just in case their dinosaur-powered phone is busy chasing the pterodactyls off the lawn again. Don't be surprised if your answer comes in the form of a stone tablet.

Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
Wow, you guys are fast!

Thank you for the advice - I'll figure it out and get it sent off. I know it's not that big a deal, but I got my head twisted in knots, ha ha.

Thanks,

Evelyn