Dog Ear Publishing vs. Friesen Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laszlo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lhoppg.blogspot.com
After a failed attempt to publish my literary fiction book via agents, I am considering self publishing. Has anyone had experience with the above two self-publisher/POD services?
Thanks for you time to asnwer:
Laszlo

Laszlo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lhoppg.blogspot.com
Thank you James for the links!
I'm a brand new member and obviously will need to search through the messages more thoroughly.
At this point however here is my dilemma: if two of the higher rated self publishing services look like scams, how am I supposed to publish a first book when agents show no interest (OK, that may say something about my book, right? But I still feel that there is some value in what I wrote, can I blame myself for that?).
I would need good copy editing and marketing. Dog Ear and Friesen Press both offer such services.
Do you, or others have suggestion to this ever resurfacing "Catch-22" of would be first writers?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Do you, or others have suggestion to this ever resurfacing "Catch-22" of would be first writers?

Write another book. Very few first novels are commercially published, for very good reason. Most of us have trunked first novels that we're quite happy, in retrospect, never saw the light of day. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In my opinion the major self-publisher is always Lightning Source. You are just looking for the best interface with them, the major ones being Createspace and Lulu, then an enormous number of others.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you James for the links!
I'm a brand new member and obviously will need to search through the messages more thoroughly.

You would be well advised to read our Newbies Guide, which will guide you round AW and give you some very useful information about how it works.

At this point however here is my dilemma: if two of the higher rated self publishing services look like scams, how am I supposed to publish a first book when agents show no interest

The term "self publishing service" is a bit contradictory: if someone else is self-publishing your book for you, then you're not self-publishing it. There's a very good argument to say that these services are vanity presses, and have nothing to do with self publishing. If I were you I'd do a lot more research into the various publishing methods before you do anything else.

I would need good copy editing and marketing. Dog Ear and Friesen Press both offer such services.

I review self-published books and in my experience, the editing services supplied by self-publishing services are not worth using. They might correct grammar and punctuation, but they don't provide proper editing; and they don't provide good copy editing either, as I've noticed numerous contradictions, errors and inconsistencies in the books which have supposedly benefited from these services.

Easy. Write a new and better book. And keep doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.