• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

How long should my readers take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I recently wrote a long short story, 11,000 words. I wanted to get a round of crits (and do more revisions if needed) before sending it out, but I am getting impatient!

I sent the story to three writers I know IRL, one of them from the distant past, the other two from writer's groups and workshops. I have a fourth reader who wants me to deliver a printout to him tomorrow. The others got the story about 10 days ago through the email. I know that everyone is busy, and that it's kind of a long piece, but I don't think it will take that long to read. I want answers already! I should add that two of these people are published authors, and one of those is someone I definitely look up to as a writer, though I also see her as being somewhat in my peer group.

How long should I be patient for before bugging them?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is easier to give a date up front and say 'if it isn't done by then I'll take whatever you have'. Otherwise they odds are you will nag a lot and still only get half of them back.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
I did get my husband to read it last night, and he had a few thoughts about the plot (adding some scenes) so that's something. He also confirmed my feeling that despite the word count it doesn't take long to read.

I will ask the guy I give it to tomorrow to do it within a few days' time, maybe by Monday.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Of course it doesn't take long, but you also are lower on most people's 'to do' list than their job, family, pets, hobbies etc. It is polite to at least given them a full week, possibly more.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
It also depends on what you're asking them to do. If all you want is a quick overall view, that takes less time. A line by line review of everything can take a lot longer.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Be patient. If you aren't paying them professionally to do the crit, and they didn't agree to a set date when you originally sent it to them, it isn't fair to expect that their turnaround should be rapid. Give them at least two weeks before you inquire. And be prepared to do a lot of waiting once this story goes out on submission, as this industry is not known for how quickly it moves...

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
I sent the story to three writers I know IRL, one of them from the distant past, the other two from writer's groups and workshops.

Sorry, I can't tell from what you've written -- did they offer to beta this story? Or did you send it to them and say, "I wrote this, please look it over?"

The answers will be very different, depending.

Cheers.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Georgiana: I talked to one of them about it months ago, early in the summer, and he offered to look at it then. The others I asked (2 via email, one in person). I only sent it to those who said they would read it.

I think I made it clear that I was looking mostly for general comments, not a line edit.

I will wait another week before asking them... and yes, I know that turn-around times on submissions to markets are slow, but at least there I can get a good idea of what to expect from Duotrope and the publications' own websites.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
lol, 11,000 words should take about 20 minutes to crit.

Like the others said, better to put a time limit on it. I have a 47K manuscript out on beta and my readers take anywhere from 6 hours to one week, with most done in 3 or 4 days. But I specified I prefer quick betas. I work fast, I don't want to wait a month for "general comments"

Deizelcore

This is not a user title
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least now you have experience and will remember to always give your betas a deadline.

aikigypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Update:

I got the hard-copy crit back on Saturday night/Sunday morning, and sent the others a nudging email yesterday morning. 2 of those have gotten back to me, one has promised it by tomorrow.

On to the final (?) rewrite!

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
I wish you the best with the rewrite, Ag (I just shortened your nick. It's not an insult).

Status
Not open for further replies.