Kale

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I bought some yesterday. I've never cooked with it before. I know a little olive oil, salt and pepper is supposed to be pretty good, but I also like to use recipes that incorporate the vegetable.

Any suggestions?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
One thing I like to do is melt two or so tablespoons of butter and saute some diced onion with a couple of handfuls of dried, sweetened cranberries. Tear up the kale and wash thoroughly, but leave it very wet. When the onions are done, stir in the wet kale until it's warm and wilted. Salt to taste and yum!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Steaming such vegetables tends to retain the largest amount of nutrients while also making other nutrients more bioavailable than when raw. You could steam first, then season to taste.

If you prefer boiling greens, use a preparation that would also encourage you to eat the cooking liquid. Soup would be good.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Wash, shred coarsely, put in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with sea salt, finely chopped garlic, and about a tablespoon of olive oil, cover tightly with foil, pop under low heat (150-200 F) for an hour or so, serve topped with little crisp bacon bits, chopped and toasted hazel or pine nuts, and/or balsamic vinegar.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone ever try kale in green smoothies? I've run across some recipes that include kale that look interesting.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Wash, shred coarsely, put in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with sea salt, finely chopped garlic, and about a tablespoon of olive oil, cover tightly with foil, pop under low heat (150-200 F) for an hour or so, serve topped with little crisp bacon bits, chopped and toasted hazel or pine nuts, and/or balsamic vinegar.
Yes please.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

YUM!!!

Anyone ever try kale in green smoothies? I've run across some recipes that include kale that look interesting.

I do all the time. You'll need a heavy-duty blender (I have a Vita-Mix). Otherwise, it's like drinking lawn clippings.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I made risotto tonight and threw some in it with asparagus after steaming it. It seemed to work well enough, but I would've done the same with spinach and didn't notice much of a difference. I was going to make turkey meatballs later this week, and thinking about throwing some in there too.

This sounds good! I've heard of the kale chips and wanted to try, but all recipes I've seen for those only have sea salt. I like the idea of extras.

Haven't done it but thought about it. I blend my own fruit smoothies every morning and thought about throwing some in, same with spinach. But so far I'm too lazy.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't done it but thought about it. I blend my own fruit smoothies every morning and thought about throwing some in, same with spinach. But so far I'm too lazy.

I bought myself a Magic Bullet blender and have been going to town on smoothies. Baby spinach leaves work great in the fruit recipes, even in creamy smoothies with yogurt and soy milk. The fruit taste buries the vegetable taste completely. I'll let you know how kale works for me. I picked some up from Trader Joes and have been wanting to experiment.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Kale will require a little extra water to blend properly. Oh, Swiss chard is fantastic in smoothies. It has a very mild flavor.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I bought myself a Magic Bullet blender and have been going to town on smoothies. Baby spinach leaves work great in the fruit recipes, even in creamy smoothies with yogurt and soy milk. The fruit taste buries the vegetable taste completely. I'll let you know how kale works for me. I picked some up from Trader Joes and have been wanting to experiment.

That's exactly what I do, too--magic bullet. I do fruit and ground flaxseed, no yogurt or milk. But I leave the tops on the strawberries when I blend, so I figure spinach can't be anything different.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
All these recipes sound amazing. I usually chop kale and put it in soups, stews, etc.

I just made kale chips for the first time a few weeks ago. They were surprisingly good.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I like to do is melt two or so tablespoons of butter and saute some diced onion with a couple of handfuls of dried, sweetened cranberries. Tear up the kale and wash thoroughly, but leave it very wet. When the onions are done, stir in the wet kale until it's warm and wilted. Salt to taste and yum!

The only change to that for me is instead of the butter, mince and brown a strip of bacon and use that to sautee the onion etc. Tasty!

If you have young tender leaves just use them in a salad, but for the dark large leaves, do the light sautee, and strip out the stem.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I grow kale and use it in all kinds of cooking, rice pilafs & risottos, pasta dishes, with other veggies in sautées and stir-frys. Also, a great and easy side-dish for a meal:

Sautée your choice of mushrooms in a little olive or sesame oil, with some chopped onion. When the mushrooms are beginning to soften, remove the skillet from the heat, pile in as much chopped kale as will fit, cover and let sit for about five minutes. The ambient heat cooks the kale perfectly, and finishes the mushrooms as well. The kale cooks down in volume.

Swiss chard works well in the same manner. I'd bet collards also would work, but I haven't tried them. You can do this with spinach, too, but spinach cooks much faster and becomes slimy when overcooked. I've come to prefer kale to spinach in just about any kind of cooked dish.

caw

Last edited:

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Sautée your choice of mushrooms in a little olive or sesame oil, with some chopped onion. When the mushrooms are beginning to soften, remove the skillet from the heat, pile in as much chopped kale as will fit, cover and let sit for about five minutes. The ambient heat cooks the kale perfectly, and finishes the mushrooms as well. The kale cooks down in volume.

caw

This sounds wonderful. Just so happens I have mushrooms and kale in my fridge. Thanks for the recipe.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I'm on a kale kick lately - it makes a great wrap fried in its own juice. I also cut the thick impossible to cook stems off when I make my weekly bowl of brown rice and throw it in, very finely chopped.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chopped, Sweet, Vidalia Onion
Red Pepper Flakes
Chicken Broth
Pinch of Sugar
Real Bacon Bits

Bring first 4 ingredients to a Boil

Throw in the Kale

Let it all cook down (until Kale is tender)

Sprinkle Bacon on top and Serve with Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese ;)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
We got our first snow overnight, not much, 1/2 inch or so. My veggie garden is long gone, EXCEPT for the kale, which approaches being immortal. I cooked a seafood prima vera pasta tonight, with veggies and five or six leaves of kale harvested with snow on them. They were excellent. Every northern gardener should grow this vegetable. In places south of maybe Iowa, it probably would last all winter, and it's about as easy to grow from seed as dandelions.

caw

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Every northern gardener should grow this vegetable. In places south of maybe Iowa, it probably would last all winter, and it's about as easy to grow from seed as dandelions.

caw

Do you know if slugs like it? They usually decimate my gardens.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Slugs adore kale.

Given the harshness of Texas summers, I'm instead attempting an early-winter crop of chard, which slugs also love. The slugs do not, however, love the winter.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Slugs also like beer. Good beer.

About 6 to 12 inches from your plants, dig a hole the size of a 500ml (1/2 quart?) yogurt or sour cream container. Put a 500 mL container in the hole so that the top of the container is level with the ground. Pour about an inch of good quality ale into the container.

Do this every 2 - 3 feet if you've got a serious infestation.

Slugs will almost always go for beer over veggies. And once they're in the beer pool, they can't get out even if they want to.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with beer. Maybe there are too many slugs or quite possibly, they are on to me.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Or a creamed spinach imitation. Tried it last night, with swiss chard and onion in the mix, and it's quite good! Set the blender on chop or grind. Cook in a pan and top with some sauce (or cheese or greek yogurt).