Daunting Proposal

Pookiestoop

Registered
Reaction score
My question has to do with a proposal I am writing for a manuscript about a friend of mine, a bio told in first person. I asked around this site, I thought I'd try here as well.

My question is how do I classify the book with other books that I have to compare to for the proposal? The book about my friend is kind of hard to classify: an adopted black American boy who grew up in South Central Los Angeles, but without the usual gang story. (Antione Fisher but without the abuse) Then it's a coming of age story about a classically trained pianist who dreamt of breaking into Hollywood, but only getting as far as crashing Hollywood parties. (A sort of Six Degrees of Separation)

Should I look for books with a series of themes and pitch it in my proposal? Or, do I have to classify the book in one fell swoop and then hope to find books that are the same?

Hope this question makes sense to you. Thank you. :)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Pookiestoop said:
My question has to do with a proposal I am writing for a manuscript about a friend of mine, a bio told in first person. I asked around this site, I thought I'd try here as well.

My question is how do I classify the book with other books that I have to compare to for the proposal? The book about my friend is kind of hard to classify: an adopted black American boy who grew up in South Central Los Angeles, but without the usual gang story. (Antione Fisher but without the abuse) Then it's a coming of age story about a classically trained pianist who dreamt of breaking into Hollywood, but only getting as far as crashing Hollywood parties. (A sort of Six Degrees of Separation)

Should I look for books with a series of themes and pitch it in my proposal? Or, do I have to classify the book in one fell swoop and then hope to find books that are the same?

Hope this question makes sense to you. Thank you. :)
It's easy to classify this book: it's a memoir.