PDA

View Full Version : Submitting to overseas agents????

Pipedreamer
10-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

I'm new at this so forgive me if this has already been asked. I've just gone through the process of writing a book, editing it and all of that stuff. But there aren't many agents in my country that represent the genre of my work. However, I've noticed that there is a much larger market in America. I was wondering if it's worth submitting to an agent overseas or if this is just a silly idea.

Thanks for your help :)

Terie
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Many writers living outside the US have US agents. Submit away. And good luck!

Rustgold
10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
The question is about tax though. Tied in with the double taxation stuff (I'm not an accountant), there's the reported (by major firms - not pubtalk) possibility of facing 80% tax between the two countries. It depends on whether America wishes to steal its chunk. Something that would need answering.

Terie
10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
The question is about tax though. Tied in with the double taxation stuff (I'm not an accountant), there's the reported (by major firms - not pubtalk) possibility of facing 80% tax between the two countries. It depends on whether America wishes to steal its chunk. Something that would need answering.

Actually, the OP's question isn't about tax at all.

Having a US agent and paying taxes are two completely different subjects. The OP asked about getting a US agent, not about issues related to overseas income and tax reporting.

Since the OP didn't ask about taxes, that's probably a conversation better left to its own thread. There are a number of threads here at AW on US taxes and non-resident aliens, including how and where to file the relevant forms to keep a US publisher from withholding 30% (not, ahem, 80%) from earnings if the country of which you're citizen and where you reside is signatory to the taxation agreement (whatever the heck its name is).

lauralam
10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm a US citizen living in Scotland, and there's a taxation agreement. Now, if I make over $85,000 per year, then I might have to start paying tax in the US, but otherwise it's not that big of a deal.

Pipedreamer
10-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all the info guys :) But I wasn't so much concerned about the tax rate, I'll cross that bridge if I ever get too it. I was more interested whether an overseas agent would be likely to offer representation to someone from a different country. And whether cultural differences would be an issue.

Thanks heaps :)

Mr Flibble
10-19-2011, 03:26 AM
I do not live on the same continent as my agent

That help?
ETA: cultural differences can be an issue, but a good book is a good book.