50/50

cornie

I'm a sucker for love stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
Sorry if there is already a thread about this movie, but I did a search and couldn't find one.

I just wanted to say--I LOVED this movie. As soon as I heard about the project, I knew I'd be interested in seeing it, but the cast (especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt) really exceeded my already ridiculously high expectations. It was both heartbreaking and hilarious, which is a combo that's difficult to pull off.

I'll admit, after seeing JGL's performance in this movie, my husband and I have been studiously working our way through his past films. I'm awed at his talent.

Has anyone else seen 50/50? Thoughts?

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had assumed I would hate it (thought it would be terribly depressing), and was pleasantly surprised and blown away by how wonderful it was.

Touching, funny, poignant -- this film was a real winner.

~STS~

p.s. My only beef with it (and it is substantial) was the portrayal of the intern therapist as clinically inept and ethically bankrupt.

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
really good movie. it was very touching, yet kept a good sense of comedy about it all. i did tear up at the end, the pre-surgery scene was so well done, especially when he was talking to his father.

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite scene was when he discovered the well-worn how-to-help-a-friend-with-cancer book in his buddy's bathroom.

What was yours?

~STS~

cornie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
I think my favorite scene was was when he talks to the therapist on the phone and tells her she'd be a good gf. So sweet. That part, with the scream, definitely made me tear up.

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, the breakdown in the car was pretty epic.

i'll switch to the funny side - Rogen busting in with pictures of JGL's girlfriend cheating was hilarious.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it, and I haven't heard anyone say otherwise.

My favorite scene was when he discovered the well-worn how-to-help-a-friend-with-cancer book in his buddy's bathroom.

I wondered if that was Seth Rogen's real book.

I'll admit, after seeing JGL's performance in this movie, my husband and I have been studiously working our way through his past films. I'm awed at his talent.
He's great. Have you watched The Lookout or Brick yet?

hugallthecats

Registered
Reaction score
I was unimpressed with it, especially the treatment of female characters (Madonna/whore complex). That coupled with the implausibility of a therapist/client relationship jarred me out of the film, sorry to say:poke:

cornie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
He's great. Have you watched The Lookout or Brick yet?

Yes! I liked them both a lot. My husband didn't really like the whole noir thing in Brick, but I thought it was clever. Did you like them?

We also just saw Hescher, which we both loved, and Uncertainty, which neither of us cared for. Though I have to say, the concept for Uncertainty was really cool.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mysterious Skin is my favorite Gordon-Levitt movie. The book is amazing, too.

I wanted to like Brick, I really did, but it just didn't work for me. It wasn't entirely the noir-dom that killed it, but that was one aspect. The other was the plausibility of it all.

I did enjoy The Lookout, though.

Maryn, who hasn't seen his others

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I didn't really care for Seth Rogen (I really wish he'd learn how to play another role outside of the fat man-child. Even Jim Carrey can act outside of his box.) or the treatment of the female characters either. But I like Gordon-Levitt. He just wasn't able to redeem it for me.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to like Brick, I really did, but it just didn't work for me. It wasn't entirely the noir-dom that killed it, but that was one aspect. The other was the plausibility of it all.

I agree--the film didn't totally work for me, but I think he still showed excellent work.

The Lookout is great. Mysterious Skin is the only one of his I haven't yet seen. I need it to come on Netflix.

cornie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
Mysterious Skin is the only one of his I haven't yet seen. I need it to come on Netflix.

I haven't seen that one, either. I mostly get movies from Netflix, too, so they need to get it together, lol.

He has a few more that I am less eager to see--G.I. Joe, for example. I heard that movie is awful, so I don't know if I want to sit through it just for JGL.

davem

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
It's a good movie and really funny. I worried about it being a chick flick, but it's not.

MackenziLee

we are a sensational team
Registered
Reaction score
I loved this movie. Yes, the therapist/patient relationship was a stretch for me. but I just adore JGL and I thought his performance was fantastic. So well rounded. he nailed the funny moments and also the serious ones. I just loved this film. And, yes Seth Rogan is the same in everything, but he actually really worked for me in this one. weirdly.

Also my next dog will be named Skeletor.