How can I find old newspapers?

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I just moved into a new apartment, and I want to decorate one side with a "conspiracy wall" like you might see on TV. You know, with newspaper clippings of mysterious deaths, surveillance photos, etc. all connected with red yard. But where can I find newspapers that are years, or even a couple of decades, old to look for relevant clippings?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You could copy them at a local library. They frown on cutting up the originals.

Otherwise, unless you know a hoarder or someone who works at a newspaper you may be out of luck.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote my autobiographies there were a number of newspaper front pages I needed, if I remember correctly I contacted the achives and purchased the relevant copies, this was in the UK however, and they weren't cheap.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
If you don't mind photocopies, then visit your local library. They have newspapers on microfilm and all you have to do is search their computerized database for the subjects that fit your "conspiracy wall." Find your article, print it, then there you go.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind photocopies, then visit your local library. They have newspapers on microfilm and all you have to do is search their computerized database for the subjects that fit your "conspiracy wall." Find your article, print it, then there you go.

And if you want them to look old, use the cheapest paper possible, and then leave them out in the sun for a while.

MM

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
And if you want them to look old, use the cheapest paper possible, and then leave them out in the sun for a while.

MM

Although paper that bad will continue browning even on your wall, until you have a room colored like burnt crackers. Which is, of course, what actual newsprint does. It gets crispy and brittle too. I'd recommend doing your copies on cream or butter-colored printer paper instead.

Oh, and I believe there may be online sources of scanned old newspapers.

And it is possible someone makes a wallpaper just like what you're looking for. You never know.

Last edited:

Jimayo

Registered
Reaction score
Go to some storage lockers auctions. You can get a locker filled with newspaper for nothing generally.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I believe there may be online sources of scanned old newspapers.

There are (or were - I haven't checked on them in a while) a few Google Groups who were scanning and uploading old newspapers, though the majority of the papers were pre-1900. I'm sure if you do an image search you will find several old newspapers turning up, though occasionally you will come across doctored pictures, which have changed the original wording / altered images for ridiculous reasons.

I'm still hunting for several newspapers to fill in gaps from the historical record, so this is one of the things I go nuts over...

IsisAnalysis

~fish ~fowl ~good red herring
Registered
Reaction score
It will probably take a lot more newspapers than you would expect to cover your wall. Best to allow for that, if you're looking either for vintage newspapers or for articles on a particular theme.

If you do find good ones, I'd recommend scanning them and printing out copies for your wall. If you are trying to cover the whole wall, duplication is not so bad.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my Nov issue of 'Country Living' magazine yesterday.
This guy had covered walls and the ceiling of a powder room with old newspapers. IIRC it said he had gotten a trunk full of them for $20. I think it said he had used a clear sealer on them to keep them from yellowing further.

MM

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea where you would get them, but I just wanted to say that this sounds like a cool idea.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to try contacting some of your local newspapers to see if they're willing to help you with something. While they may not be able to send you copies of old newspapers, they may have other options that may be of use, including digital and uploaded copies of old newspapers online. Also, don't forget to look for the online versions of the newspapers. Since many have gone online, you'll be able to print out more recent articles for your wall. Check to see if they run old articles (particularly around Halloween on creepy stuff or unsolved mysteries) or have the old articles online. One suggestion is Patch.com. That's something that's in my area for local newspapers.

Speaking of digital newspaper files online, you might want to Google it that way. Not sure if the newspapers or the libraries do that but someone might.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of the NYT, I know there's a piece on a giant water creature from the 20s on their online database, freely available for viewing - it swam alongside a ferry for a few hundred feet before disappearing under the water again.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody; those are some good ideas. I was hoping to get the original copies instead of computer printouts, but I might try the special paper. And I didn't plan on papering the whole wall with them, but just have a dozen or so clippings pinned up.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
In our area you can find auction and estate sales where old magazines and newspapers go for next to nothing.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Try flea markets? If the merchants there don't have anything, you might try asking them if they know anyone who can help you.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
I have some newspapers I hoarded ahem, "saved", because they had historical significance.

• The fall of the Berlin Wall
  • The crash of a Space Shuttle
  • Sept 11.
  • The Gulf War
  • When my name showed on Page 1 of the local paper for a speech I gave
I forgot to get one when they found Bin Laden
I should get one from this week because of the news from Libya.

They are not showing significant signs of aging, having been stored in a closed file cabinet.

I don't want to part with them though. I'm thinking they would be awesome for a Grandchild's history or sociology report twenty years from now.