Multiple national adventure

BaldEagle

Registered
Reaction score
I have an 82k thriller that starts in rural Michigan, USA, does a touch and go in Montreal and spends most of it's time in Paris and rural France. It's in English - should I query agents in the USA, Canada and France? What would be considered the norm?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who do you want reading it? If you want Americans to read it, get an agent in the US. Such an agent will probably get the book into Canada and England too.

Do you live in the US? It might help to have an agent in the same country so you don't have to deal with time zone differences, etc. This isn't a requirement, of course, but it might be helpful.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What nationality are your central characters?

BaldEagle

Registered
Reaction score
Central characters are from the USA, a married couple. Since MI is right next door to Canada, and I intend on moving there very soon would I be out of line querying Canadian agents? Most Canadian cities are closer to MI than New York City so travel wouldn't be an issue.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I think that the difference between querying agents in the different English-speaking nations is a matter of preference or necessity. All of the English-speaking countries will have publishers within them that can penetrate the other English-speaking countries (I assume...). Whether the book finds initial success in Canada or the US, if it's with a big publisher, it'll reach both countries anyway (I assume...).

As per France, I'm not sure about this, but at a guess I'd say a good deal of their publishers deal with books written in French. If you've written your book in English, I'd say you'd have an easier time getting published in an English-speaking country as opposed to in France. I could be wrong on that count - I've never been in a French book store - but if it came down to a French publisher choosing between your book needing a translation, and one already written in French that has taken their fancy as much as yours, it's probable that they'd choose to save money and go with the French-language book.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and if it's a success in the US and Canada, there's every chance that it'll be translated into other languages (especially French, considering that a good part of Canada speaks French).

:)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That would be my guess. But it's just a guess - I'm in no way an expert on these matters.

However, I do know some AWers have agents/publishers in countries different to where they live.

It also might be an idea to check out how many French publishers deal with English-language books. :)