PDA

View Full Version : For all you St. Louisans out there...

Gretad08
10-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Go crazy folks! Go crazy!!!!

Let's go Cardinals, clap, clap, clapclapclap! NLCS champs for the 18th time. Headed to the series!

alleycat
10-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Woo hoo!

mirandashell
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Explanation for the non-Americans?

Gretad08
10-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Explanation for the non-Americans?

Sorry. The St. Louis Cardinals baseball team won a playoff game last night which means they're now going to play in the world series. It's a big deal to baseball fans.

<<<That's our stadium in my avatar.

The "go crazy folks, go crazy!" is a nod to a guy named Jack Buck who announced Cardinals baseball for years. It was sort of his trademark phrase. He's a pretty beloved guy around St. Louis.

Here's a little clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHEtH5LbkBM

mirandashell
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Ah, thanks Greta! Now I got it. Who will you be playing in the WS?

cray
10-17-2011, 10:13 PM
texas rangers.

mirandashell
10-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I thought they were some kind of police?

Gretad08
10-18-2011, 04:42 AM

LOL, they are. In fact there was a TV show w/Chuck Norris. Walker, Texas Ranger.

But they're also a baseball team. I'm sure they're a great group of guys, but I'm hoping they lose. Sorry Texas fans.

Silver King
10-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Anyone mind if I move this thread to Sports and Fitness?

Greta especially?

It's fine in this room, but the other forum could use some extra baseball love. :)

Haggis
10-18-2011, 04:55 AM
They were when they played my Tigers. Locked 'em up and threw away the key.

'Grats, Cards fans. Your guys better be good, because the Rangers don't have a weak spot.

Gretad08
10-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Anyone mind if I move this thread to Sports and Fitness?

Greta especially?

It's fine in this room, but the other forum could use some extra baseball love. :)

That's fine. Sorry, I've never posted a thread like this, but I was just too damned excited to not share the love with AW last night :). Wasn't sure where to put it.

Gretad08
10-18-2011, 06:59 AM
They were when they played my Tigers. Locked 'em up and threw away the key.

'Grats, Cards fans. Your guys better be good, because the Rangers don't have a weak spot.

I know, I'm scared o' them Rangers. We've got momentum right now though, and that's a powerful thing in baseball. Hopefully we can keep it going.

Williebee
10-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Sitting in a house, in the country, a short distance from the shadow of The Arch in St. Louis.

Go Rangers! (What can I say? Texas is home. Besides, the Cardinals have a collection of pennants. The Rangers have been to the World Series twice in their entire franchise history.)

Fact is: Go Cards! Go Rangers! Go Baseball! I'm just hoping for a great series.

AnnieColleen
10-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Sitting in a house, in the country, a short distance from the shadow of The Arch in St. Louis.

Go Rangers!

And, from South Texas: Go Cardinals!

(Texas is home, but I still have my little Fredbird from [not thinking about how many] years ago.)

mirandashell
10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
So... this would explain why my boss, who is a Yankees fan, is really, really grumpy at the moment?

Silver King
10-19-2011, 03:24 AM
That's fine...
Thanks. I'll move it to the other room.

I'm rooting for the Cards also, only to savor watching Texas lose for knocking the Rays out of the playoffs the last two years in a row!

Haggis
10-19-2011, 04:52 AM
So... this would explain why my boss, who is a Yankees fan, is really, really grumpy at the moment?
Your boss is grumpy because my Tigers blew away the Yankees. Which makes me happy. :)

Williebee
10-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Your boss is grumpy because my Tigers blew away the Yankees. Which makes me happy. :)

Made me a Tigers fan for a few games.

Soccer Mom
10-19-2011, 09:29 PM
From someone who just drove by the Ballpark in Arlington.

Let's go Rangers! *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

cray
10-20-2011, 04:16 PM
did the phils win last night?

alleycat
10-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I know, I'm scared o' them Rangers. We've got momentum right now though, and that's a powerful thing in baseball. Hopefully we can keep it going.

Rally Squirrel!

Haggis
10-20-2011, 04:51 PM
did the phils win last night?
I'm fairly certain they beat the Eagles.

cray
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
:e2moon:

Williebee
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Great game. Probably the biggest highlight is going to be that second out by Carpenter.

Is anybody else finding Fox's infrared stuff just a bit creepy? Next time they are showing it, forget the ball and the swing, look at the images around it. Some stuff just shouldn't be white hot at times like that...

Gretad08
10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Great game. Probably the biggest highlight is going to be that second out by Carpenter.

Is anybody else finding Fox's infrared stuff just a bit creepy? Next time they are showing it, forget the ball and the swing, look at the images around it. Some stuff just shouldn't be white hot at times like that...

Carp's out was great, and kudos to the runner for avoiding stepping on him.

Oh, and yep, the infrared stuff is creepy. I'll watch tonight and see if I notice the images around the batter.

Soccer Mom
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
That was a great game. Really disappointed with the end, but that was a great game.

And yes, the infared stuff is going to give me nightmares. Brr.

Gretad08
10-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Last night's game was insane! I'm gonna conclude that both teams play a more exciting game of baseball in warmer weather. Game 2 was pretty uneventful until the 9th, and it was pretty chilly here in STL. They get to Texas and both teams are hitting them out of the park. Really fun to watch.

And, I have to say, way to go Pujols! Not only did he play some incredible ball last night, he showed the world what a gracious guy he is in all the post game interviews. I just love that guy.

Soccer Mom
10-25-2011, 02:22 AM
This is such a fun series. I am loving the level of play and the sportsmanship. Just proves you don't have to act like an ass to be a success.

ETA: Let's go, Rangers! *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

Gretad08
10-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Ooooooooooh my goodness gracious. Did any of you watch this game??? That could be the most intense game of baseball I've ever seen, for both teams! Game 7, here we come!

alleycat
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Woot!

I kept saying I was going to turn it off but I couldn't.

I think I was clinching so hard I hurt my teeth.

Gretad08
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Woot!

I kept saying I was going to turn it off but I couldn't.

I think I was clinching so hard I hurt my teeth.

OMG, I know! Berkman and Freese were on fire tonight! That was the greatest, yet most frustrating game I've ever seen.

AnnieColleen
10-28-2011, 09:45 AM
My aunt mentioned that she's a Berkman fan, from his time in Houston...then tried to take it back. Oops. :)

I almost couldn't turn off the celebration afterwards. Crazy awesome game. Go teams!

Gretad08
10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
The excitement in STL is palpable. A friend of mine posted on FB that even with four hours of sleep, she and her FedEx guy were high-fiving each other this morning. Everyone's happy, talking about the game, comparing their reactions. We have a great baseball city, and everyone just wants to be a part of it, no matter who wins. My siblings, a TON of friends, and even my husband are headed downtown just to be around the stadium. No one can afford tickets, but it doesn't even matter. Wish I could go, but I'll enjoy screaming at the t.v. in my own living room. Everybody enjoy game 7!

alleycat
10-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Well, after thousands of games this season, it's all comes down to one game.

What a depressing thought . . . no more baseball and then changing back to standard time (where it gets dark at five o'clock).

Gretad08
10-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Well, after thousands of games this season, it's all comes down to one game.

What a depressing thought . . . no more baseball and then changing back to standard time (where it gets dark at five o'clock).

Maaaaaaaannnnn, you better get that bad joojoo out of your system before the game starts. You don't want to rub off on the boys!

Look at it this way, you get an extra hour of sleep on Sunday. It's the best day of the year!

Haggis
10-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Congrats, Card's fans. Your team's had one hell of a run. Texas? I know you've got to go lick your wounds, but your team is pretty special. Bring it next year.

I'm a die hard Tigers fan, but the two best teams wound up in the World Series, as they should.

Now if only we can get a good second and third baseman....

Soccer Mom
10-29-2011, 10:16 PM
I"m exhausted and sad. It's been an awesome run, but still no title for the Rangers. :( This was the best chance we ever had.

Snowstorm
10-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Well congrats to the Cardinals and their fans! A series well played by the Rangers, alas.