PDA

View Full Version : Wishing for helpful comments

flygal716
10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
I thought I'd throw this question out to the group: out of all the fulls/partials you have out there or have had out there, what has been your experience as far as receiving helpful comments with rejections? And have you gotten a revise & resubmit along with the helpful comments, usually?

Out of the 15 fulls or partials I've submitted, I've gotten some very kind passes. Agents have been complimentary. One even said he was on the fence as far as making an offer, but ultimately declined. In none of these correspondences have I had any feedback on the manuscript, not an iota. It's such a weird feeling to have nowhere to go with the book. I wish someone offered to look at it again and give me the opportunity to revisit the ms.

Still 8 out there, so maybe I'll find out something. I'm envious of those who get an R&R or any kind of input.

Erin
10-16-2011, 07:15 PM
The only time I've gotten feedback on multiple fulls and partials I've had out there was on 2 R&R's (both of which ended in rejection with no further feedback). Otherwise, the responses were polite rejects, or a form reason without specifics why the MS didn't work for them, i.e. "liked the writing, didn't like the worldbuilding," etc. I also received a couple "on the fence" responses.

happywritermom
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
With eight more out there, I wouldn't worry just yet. Agents like to have passion for what they represent and it sounds like you just haven't hit the right agent yet. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with the book. In fact, with so many partials and fulls out, it might be something is very right.
Keep trying and keep working on novel 2. You might find you finish novel 2 and get that published first and that novel 1 will follow. That's a common scenerio. Sometimes, just having two completed novels ready for sale is enough to push an agent off the fence.
Patience is so, so hard.
But don't give up.
You clearly have a good thing going.

flygal716
10-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Erin, it's got to be hard getting an R&R that doesn't work out. The form letters that go on about looking forward to reading about a book deal in the future, and good luck, are painful, too!

flygal716
10-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks, happywritermom, for the great encouragement. :)

Miss Plum
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm of the "A rejection is a rejection is a rejection is a rejection" school. If there are any comments, I skim them. The important content in a rejection letter is between the lines, and it always screams the same words: NOT THIS ONE -- KEEP QUERYING.

Filigree
10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
With Miss Plum on this one. You might be able to glean something useful in aggregate, if you've had similar comments from different agents. You know which agents would like to see more of your work, when you have another project.

But 'No' is still 'No', no matter what other phrases are nestled around it.

Jamesaritchie
10-17-2011, 09:16 PM
It's been my experience that editors are much better than agents at sending helpful comments. Agents usually get into what's wrong mode only when they want a rewrite and resubmission.