How long do you wait before requerying?

ilookcool

Registered
Reaction score
After you improve your query letter, how long do you wait before requerying the agents that rejected you before on quey letter only?

Thanks.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
If they say not to query them again, then I don't query them again for that project. And it would have to be a completely different query before I would even think of querying agents who didn't say one way or the other. In general, I don't re-query with the same project. Either they liked the idea or they didn't.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would requery the same agents that rejected the old query for the same book, but that's just me. You can test it out I suppose, but I think it would be better to query a different batch of agents, see how that goes first.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming your query is Vastly Improved, at least six months.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I'd requery is if you never heard from the agent at all. In the "no answer means no" world, it also means, maybe they never got it in the first place or maybe they didn't really read it.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I requeried was to a former assistant agent who wrote a half page of comments to my WIP when he and the primary agent rejected it. When the assistant became a full agent, I asked if he would consider taking another look (I had reworked quite a bit of the WIP by then.) He said "sure" and I sent it off again. He still didn't love it enough to pick it up but it was a good experience. Had we not exchanged a number of emails over the first submission, though, I doubt I would have requeried him.