PDA

View Full Version : new webzine looking for... 5 cents/w

Gale Haut
10-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi everyone. My short story venue, Fender Stitch (http://www.fenderstitch.com), has literally just been born today. And in light of the season my editors and I are already looking for a short story that scares the crap out of us.

The story will be totally dressed up for the occasion. Check out the Vonnegut story that was published this morning to see what I mean, (i.e. highly aesthetic static reader with original graphics).

The submission guidelines are here (http://fenderstitch.com/submission-guidelines).

We pay 5 per word for first time print and electronic world rights, and nonexclusive anthology rights.

I expect there to be multiple print/electronic anthologies in the future, and hope to offer an additional compensation for works that make it into them.

Questions are fine here or on the site.

Cheers!

Little Ming
10-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Looks interesting. A few questions though. :)

Do you want exclusive rights? If so, for how long?

Do you take reprints?

The site states "The genre is not important to us." But I assume there are some things you do not want. For example, will you accept erotica?

Maryn
10-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting question, since I have horror-erotica languishing on my hard drive.

Maryn, awaiting the reply

Gale Haut
10-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Hey Little Ming and Maryn. Thanks for the questions.

Because the venue focuses on a single short story at a time, the genre could be anything. So, erotica is not out of the question. I'm drawing up this year's schedule and it looks like a work of erotica has a decent chance of being published in February or in the Spring.

We're toying with the possibility of exclusive electronic rights. If so, it won't be for longer than a year, and we would be okay with professional ebook publications as opposed to other websites hosting the story.

So the answer is that I don't know yet. We might not ask at all. It will be decided before the end of the month when the first story is purchased and the contract is signed.

Since we're talking about rights, we will also be asking for archival rights for the site, FYI.

Hope this answers your questions.

bladestalker
10-17-2011, 01:51 AM
your website displays quite strangely. how do we submit to you?

Ari Meermans
10-17-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm having trouble with the site display, too. The typeface is huge and the page seems to have fallen off to the left.

Paul
10-17-2011, 02:15 AM
i found it to be fine. I'm using Mozilla though.

bladestalker
10-17-2011, 02:23 AM
through IE it looks wierd all truncated and unreadable.

Paul
10-17-2011, 02:30 AM
through IE it looks wierd all truncated and unreadable.
microsoft!

ha!

kiddin. no, grand for me, read the s story easily, easy to read. graphics home made, but fine, the menu bar is on the side. I'd say they did a lot of the tech themselves so prob not IE compatible at the mo.

Ari Meermans
10-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Oh, okay then.

Paul
10-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Oh, okay then.
he he. just one of those days, huh? ;)

Gale Haut
10-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the tech reports.

I'm currently building a redirect page for Internet Explorer users. Unfortunately that browser, even the latest version, is not a standard for CSS3. And many of the essential features for the reader will not load properly because IE continues to not support columns. I also find the browser does not smoothly load the CSS3 elements it's meant to support. Sadly this means until we receive a threshold of funding from sponsors I will not be able to support that browser.

Sorry if this an inconvenience. The preferred browsers are the latest versions of Chrome, Safari and FireFox. And a subscriber has also informed me that the site and ereader work extremely well on the iPad.

Thanks again!

Gale Haut
10-17-2011, 02:40 AM
microsoft!

ha!

kiddin. no, grand for me, read the s story easily, easy to read. graphics home made, but fine, the menu bar is on the side. I'd say they did a lot of the tech themselves so prob not IE compatible at the mo.

Yep. It's a totally homegrown project. I've done everything myself. :D

your website displays quite strangely. how do we submit to you?

Here's the link for the submission manager (http://fenderstitch.submishmash.com/submit). It should be IE supported as it's hosted offsite.

Paul
10-17-2011, 02:49 AM
@ Gale. :)

Little Ming
10-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Do you have a version of the site that's more dial-up friendly? :o

Gale Haut
10-17-2011, 02:55 AM
@Ming

It's a highly graphic site, so this is unlikely to ever be the case. I'm sorry.

Ari Meermans
10-17-2011, 03:01 AM
he he. just one of those days, huh? ;)

LOL Definitely one of those days. Did you see my bout of thick-headedness over on the Fitzhenry & Whiteside thread? I swear, when I'm down with a cold, everything needs to be laid out in neat rows for me.

MysteryRiter
10-17-2011, 05:26 AM
@Gale - may I PM you my story? I think it's pretty good personally and it is very creepy.

Gale Haut
10-17-2011, 05:46 AM
The submissions manager organizes the stories for my editors. They're much more organized than I am, and I wouldn't want your story to get overlooked. Best to submit through proper channels.

MysteryRiter
10-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Ok. Will do. How fast is the turnaround time?

Gale Haut
10-17-2011, 05:53 AM
It depends on the genre submitted versus our publishing schedule.

Feel free to query after five weeks. We accept multiple simultaneous submissions but want to be notified if another market accepts your story while yours is in queue.

ETA: Accidentally wrote multiple, but that's not the case.

MysteryRiter
10-17-2011, 06:05 AM
I am not certain I followed the guidelines correctly. It was a little confusing. I would recommend adding a sample cover letter for reference. It didn't say anything about including the genre; did I have to include it? It's prett self-explanatory that it's horror...

Gale Haut
10-17-2011, 06:15 AM
I won't be adding a sample cover letter. There are several cover letter examples online.

Your submission looks fine and your story is in queue with the others. You should have received an automated response. Thanks for submitting. And thanks to the others who have submitted so far.

Gale Haut
10-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Here's the link for the submission manager (http://fenderstitch.submishmash.com/submit). It should be IE supported as it's hosted offsite.

The submissions manager (http://fenderstitch.com/submission-form) is now hosted on site.

Previously submitted works are still in queue, and they are like freaking amazing. *eh hem* *Takes a breath* And we also have a prompt for browsers IE8 and lower, suggesting they update to IE9 for some functionality.

Feel free to report any more weirdness to me here. :)

allz28
10-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Update:

We've found our killer horror story. (Actually we found a lot of them but we could only buy one).

But we're still open to submissions, whether they are horror or anything else damn entertaining.

And heads up, we're especially seeking a pulp mystery story for November.