I'm going to throw my freaking laptop!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story I've been obsessed with for weeks now, I know the characters so well they're almost alive...yet I can't seem to get the story out in a way that makes sense. I know the middle and the end, but I can't seem to get there! ACK! I wonder how cathartic it would be to use my new ax on this stupid laptop!!!!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I have a great middle and end for a certain short story. It's just creating the right opening situation that's got me stymied, and so the story remains in the bunny hutch.

If I were you, I'd start in the middle and see if writing through to the end doesn't give you a beginning.

It's never good to axe a laptop. Kick some puppies instead.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd start in the middle and see if writing through to the end doesn't give you a beginning.
This.

It's never good to axe a laptop.
I disagree here. When the laptop is a POS that's made you suffer and you have the new one up and working, it's axe time, baby!

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, what did the laptop ever do to you? ;)

Maybe you need to step back from the story. If you're that obsessed with it, that very obsession may be blinding you to possibilities, and also interrupting the "flow" in your head.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I have a great middle and end for a certain short story. It's just creating the right opening situation that's got me stymied, and so the story remains in the bunny hutch.

It's never good to axe a laptop. Kick some puppies instead.

No puppies here...how about chickens, instead?

I think you've got a good idea with the starting in the middle! I'm going to try that!!!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you do the all important permission slip? You know, the one that gives you the green light to write early drafts that are utter shit? For me, it's better to spew it out badly, even with notes like [***Put witty dialogue here that shows he doesn't love her***] or [***Invent a crisis and let her over-react, ending up at the pier***], than to let anything stop me altogether.

Maryn, who works in strange ways

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Did you do the all important permission slip? You know, the one that gives you the green light to write early drafts that are utter shit? For me, it's better to spew it out badly, even with notes like [***Put witty dialogue here that shows he doesn't love her***] or [***Invent a crisis and let her over-react, ending up at the pier***], than to let anything stop me altogether.

Okay, that's f*cking brilliant! The best I've done is "insert cool name" when a character's name eludes me!

ShyWriter

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's better to spew it out badly, even with notes like [***Put witty dialogue here that shows he doesn't love her***] or [***Invent a crisis and let her over-react, ending up at the pier***], than to let anything stop me altogether.

Maryn, I concur with ChristyP. I like this advice. I like it a lot. It's so simple and yet such a good way to muddle through the tougher parts of your story that haven't quite gelled in your head yet.

Last edited:

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score

This is exactly how I work, except I also start somewhere near the end of my story, usually at the climax or first romantic scene between MC and love interest. Then I skip around all over the place until I catch up to myself. Then I finish it all. I work in strange ways too :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

Half of my document is little notes like that.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. And then you just replace the little notes one at a time.

Maryn, who just finished a story three minutes ago

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I try not to think too much about the end of my stories just for that reason. Often I will have a general idea but by the time I get to the end of the story the characters have taken over and messed up the entire storyline. My publishing partner thinks I'm crazy because she outlines her entire book before she starts and I normally just have one or two paragraphs and by the time I'm done it's not even close to what is actually in the book.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn speaks the truth. All of my ms have notes like that at the end of first draft. I can never remember what chapter I'm on either. So all my chapters just say CHAPTER. Then I go back and number after I'm done.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do that, too, Soccer Mom, every since the time my one-last-read revealed I had not one, not two, but three chapter twenty-threes.

Plus if I decide to insert a chapter, I don't mess anything up.

Maryn, talking as if she knew something (Sh! Keep it quiet that she doesn't.)

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
When I have that problem it's usually because I'm too focused on form (the best way to say something) rather than function (what the heck is the story?) I solve it by sitting down and dispensing with form altogether, writing the story stream of consciousness style. It's often lacking in paragraphs, some punctuation, and has vague sections that later end up being expanded or rewritten like "They argue" or "Man looks tired" but it helps me get out of my own way and focus solely on the story. When I go back to do the revisions after that the right words tend to be easy, probably because I'm much clearer on exactly what it is I'm trying to accomplish with them.

I've also found that timed writing works wonders when I feel stuck. Telling yourself "I'm sitting down for 15 minutes and writing this thing, even if I delete it all 16 minutes from now" can help you stop stressing and just get it down. Usually it turns out better than you thought.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's one big chapter 1 until the first draft is finished.

This too. I frequently have to go back and change where the breaks are. Plus I can never remember what I've named characters. I have lots and lots of ***AUNT WHATSHERFACE*** in my rough drafts.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I have lots and lots of ***AUNT WHATSHERFACE*** in my rough drafts.
I like to use DUDE, and for events or items it's SOMETHING. "Something" is not that original, but SOMETHING, SOMETHING, and SOMETHING is quite something. The more you write "something" the stranger a word it appears. Something. So-me-thing. Strange, I tell you. (Just me?)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a small collection of find-and-replace names which are place-holders until I get character names I like. (Kevin, Jerry, Natalie, Susan.) They were chosen because these character strings never appear in other words.

I once renamed my Leo character Matthew, only to find a woman wearing a matthewtard. Cracked me up.

Maryn, easily amused

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once did that, Maryn. I changed the character Ian's name to Harry. Just did a quick search and replace. Boy, did I learn my lesson with that one.

I'm thinking I should rename this thread "Stupid writer tricks for survival"

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This is a pretty good idea I think. But it's because I do the same. And once I've written the bs, I read it over and go, "hang on a minute, this isn't right..we need to fix that". And suddenly, every damn person in the story gets their act together and collectively yell at me for making them act like medicated monkies. :D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking I should rename this thread "Stupid writer tricks for survival"
I like it!

Sometimes when I'm stuck I set two characters down in a bar and make them talk to one another. They eventually work out whatever problem it is I'm having and then I can go back to the actual storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.