Westerns making a comeback in Hollywood?

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Check out this Link. Looks like Hollywood might have rediscovered the western. Several projects in the works or in the planning stage, Yeehaw!!!!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Looks great, jdm. Thank you for passing this on to all of us. Just what we wanted to hear! :) Puma

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
YeeHaw!! That's for sure. Thanks for sharing :)

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff! :)

Obviously producers have been keeping an eye on the Western SYW, seen it start to move and thought 'Time for a Western revival!'

Even if said series are rubbish, this can only be a good thing for the genre as a whole. :)

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the article! That's a great thing for any western writer to hear.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, id be more happy if there was a resurgence among publishers.

I reckons that one must lead to the other. That media machine does tend to feed on itself.

BTW, love to see you join in the prompts or post some stuff in Western SYW, SF. The more writers writing, the more chance publishers -- regardless of TV -- will take interest. :)

And I'm not really a fan of modern westerns. They just don't have the charm of the old ones with john wayne, jimmy stewart and the like.

I think you hit the nail on the head there with the old/new tension being all about charm. Kinda like why the new Star Wars aren't as good -- no Han Solo charm. Though saying that, I think a few of the Ford/Wayne/Stewart films that, whilst charming, are also pretty dark and disturbing. I've been a thinking about a monthly film/book discussion thread. Might be a good thing to expose the newer crowd to the classic and expose the older crowd to the newer ones and try and find the charm or the ugliness in both of them.*

P.s, if you want Western charm, have a read of some of Puma's stuff in SYW. Got it in bucket loads. :)

*The films, I mean, not the younger or older crowd.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Charm in Puma's stuff? And bucketloads? I'm blushing, Harry.

Talking about old westerns, when I was a kid I absolutely loved Hopalong Cassidy - ate up every show of his on TV, listened to him on the radio, had a note sent home from the principal at school telling my parents I could NOT wear my cowboy boots to school. You get the picture. A couple years ago I got a dvd with some of the old Hoppie films on it. I was almost embarrassed - he was a dandy, not at all the tough dispenser of law and order I remembered. (And he wasn't even one of the singing cowboys!) Puma

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Charm in Puma's stuff? And bucketloads? I'm blushing, Harry.

Well, charm with an edge -- but still charming. :)

Talking about old westerns, when I was a kid I absolutely loved Hopalong Cassidy - ate up every show of his on TV, listened to him on the radio, had a note sent home from the principal at school telling my parents I could NOT wear my cowboy boots to school. You get the picture. A couple years ago I got a dvd with some of the old Hoppie films on it. I was almost embarrassed - he was a dandy, not at all the tough dispenser of law and order I remembered. (And he wasn't even one of the singing cowboys!) Puma

Nice one , Puma. Unfortunatley I can't give a Western equivalent to this story -- or can I?

I used to think Leroy out of Fame (pretty west for someone who lives in England) was the toughest son-of-a-gun who ever donned dancing tights.

On reflection (caused by contemporary satellite channel repeat) I realised that this character was not a traditional tough-tough guy. Still, perhaps like old Hopalong, there was a toughness in what he represented.

Definitely be interesting to see what type and 'toughness' of character the touted new westerns television series create. Will they be archetypes, classical, modern or representations of the times we are living in now?

Look forward to seeing how the networks handle it. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I didn't have a chance earlier to actually look at the link, but really, some of those seem like they might be worth a watch or two.

Hangtown, as Tombstone meets Castle sounds interesting. So does Gateway and The Frontier.

One thing noticeable in its absence: no retreads. Maybe that'll come if a few of these become successful. I think some good ones to redo might be Wagon Train or Rawhide. Life on a drive provides for endless possibilities.

BTW, love to see you join in the prompts or post some stuff in Western SYW, SF. The more writers writing, the more chance publishers -- regardless of TV -- will take interest. :)

At the moment, I have nothing. I'm still transcribing my WIP from NANO last year to the computer. Maybe once that's done I'll put up a chapter or two.

And I'm not a prompt writer. I really admire writers who can work from prompts or themes and put stuff in anthologies on whatever the topic is about. I've never been able to do that. I can only write what pops into my head and writing on cue like that has always escaped me.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you say that, ShadowFerret. That's one of the reasons I've campaigned so hard for general topics. I think it's very difficult to write to a specific topic or theme. I've tried writing pieces for a couple contests that had somewhat restrictive requirements and found it extremely difficult. My imagination needs some room to wander. Puma

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Here is a list of Hollywood movies reportedly coming up or possibly in the works. Not sure how many are a sure thing or might have been canceled.

Django Unchained-Jamie Foxx as a slave seeking revenge on his former owner
Black Hats-Harrison Ford as Wyatt Earp
The Further Adventures of Doc Holiday-No idea who the star is.
A Thousand Guns-Vera Farmiga as a preacher's wife looking for revenge
Blood Meridian-Cormac McCarthy's western (as if anyone didn't know that)
The Brigands of Rattleborge-Villains plunder a western town; sheriff seeks revenge
The Big Valley-Susan Sarandon as Victoria Barkely
Have Gun, Will Travel-Eminem as a bounty hunter (go figure)
The Lone Ranger-Johnny Depp as Tonto (project currently on hold)
Three Legs and a Gun-Lassie roams the west searching for the man who shot her paw

Sorry, couldn't help myself on the last one. I would definitely go see it ,though, if they would make it.

There had been talk of a new Gunsmoke movie, but it seems to have vanished from the scene. Anybody heard of any others?

Last edited: