Grammar/punctuation question...

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do not know what this situation is called in the grammar world. So I could not search for it. Nor can I really explain it all that well.

When you have a sentence where you are describing a look or a stance or a motion as saying something is there something special you have to do with the sentence regarding punctuation?

For example (This sentence is not from my MS but is similar to it):

1) The dog looked at me as if he was saying get off my couch.

Another example (again not the same but similar):

2)The man turned away, a stance I took to mean don't talk to me.

So, do you know what this is called? And should there be the regular dialogue punctuation? Or is it left as it is because it is not dialogue? Or is there something else that needs to happen?

Thank you so much!

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Well, you could look up subjunctive mood. Grammar girl could help you out there for a definition...

In sentence 1, for example, in subjunctive, 'were' perhaps should be used 'over 'was':

The dog looked at me as if he were saying get off my couch.

Sorry I can't offer anything else, gotta get the kids to school...

Last edited:

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I do not know what this situation is called in the grammar world. So I could not search for it. Nor can I really explain it all that well.

When you have a sentence where you are describing a look or a stance or a motion as saying something is there something special you have to do with the sentence regarding punctuation?

For example (This sentence is not from my MS but is similar to it):

Another example (again not the same but similar):

So, do you know what this is called? And should there be the regular dialogue punctuation? Or is it left as it is because it is not dialogue? Or is there something else that needs to happen?

Thank you so much!
These seem to be two entirely different examples to me. The first is a simile (the subjunctive part that Fallen mentioned is because of the if). I think a comma is optional after 'me'.

The second indicates an expectation or assumption. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules (no doubt someone will disagree;)) but, as it stands, the comma is wrong (a dreaded comma splice) and it should be either a semicolon or a dash. Alternatively, the two parts of the sentence need to be linked (e.g. by replacing 'a stance' with 'which').

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score

I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you referring to the parts I've boldfaced? And wondering whether they should be punctuated as dialog?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help.

Fennel, you have my question correct. I am wondering about the part in bolded...Kenn you are probably alright, no hard fast rule that I can put in my pocket. Stupid grammar.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I see no problem with how you have the sentences now. However, an alternative might be to italicize the phrases that Fennel bolded. I don't agree that you need to punctuate it like dialogue.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you referring to the parts I've boldfaced? And wondering whether they should be punctuated as dialog?
I didn't read it that way, but I think you're probably right. If so, I think it might be termed imaginary dialogue (but I could be wrong!). As such, it should be punctuated as normal dialogue or quotations.

PS A few posts appeared while I was writing this!
PPS Italicising it would be an option, as in thoughts

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to see something like these more often:

The dog looked at me as if he was saying Get off my couch!

or

The dog looked at me as if he was saying "Get off my couch!"

Your

The dog looked at me as if he was saying get off my couch.

is a bit harder to follow, but I don't think it's wrong. So if you like it that way, keep it.

You could also think about rephrasing it, maybe with something like

I took a seat despite the dog's get-off-my-couch stare.

Last edited:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good idea guys, I'll go and try italics, and will research imaginary dialogue (thanks for the Googleable term Kenn!) for further info...