Words Per PAge On Kindle and other eReaders

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, I have been checking around. To being with, all word counts are based on the mid-range font size. I'm trying to determine the number of written pages a in a kindle novel or 80,000 words.

I don't have an eReader yet, so if anyone can help confirm things I would be grateful. I know the numbering system is different on eReaders...I just want to figure this out for my own personal use while writing.

So far, I've found these:
Here are some numbers:
Characters per Kindle "page": 133
Words per Kindle "page": 23
Kindle "pages" per paperback edition page: 14.8
Compressed Kindle ebook bytes per Kindle "page": 109.

now that I have the Kindle....I've figured out a system for understanding the location number.
Based on comaring the Kindle version with the paper version....my formula is.

Based on the 2 sized font, 2 Kindle pages = 1 paperback page.

also,

Location number / 20 = page number.

For example, the location number of Great Expectations goes up to 9000. There are about 485 pages in the print version. 9000/485 equals about 20.
Thus, 200 location numbers is like 10 pages.

I believe the Kindle count is 128 bytes of data. Someone posted that number earlier.

So can anyone confirm any of this? Both seem to conflict. If you have a Kindle, can you cound the number of words on a page for me? At the average font size?

Might be better to count characters, and then I can convert the number.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you want to check it out for yourself, try downloading Kindle Previewer. It's free and it emulates various Kindle screens on your desktop, so you can dump an EPUB into it and see pretty much exactly how it will look. The discrepancies may be creeping in because Kindles aren't all created equal: there are models with different screen sizes, such as the Kindle DX.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It is different on a desktop. Bigger screen equals more words per screen.

Pete, I know that, but Kindle Previewer emulates a Kindle screen on your desktop. It makes a little window on your desktop the same size and shape as a Kindle screen, with the same words/chars per line, same fonts, everything. So you can, as the name implies, preview a Kindle file.