TN lawmaker who sponsored bill to allow guns in bars arrested drunk with loaded gun

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
You can't make this stuff up.

A Tennessee lawmaker who sponsored a controversial bill to allow handguns to be carried in bars was arrested Tuesday for driving under the influence and possessing a handgun while under the influence.

He's loaded, his gun's loaded, but, by God, he's got his freedoms . . to kill you in several ways.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No one on this site has ever argued against persecuting people who abuse their freedoms. Freedom always ends the instant someone else's nose begins.

Always. ALWAYS.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
He hadn't shot at anybody. So that's a plus.

One report says he was arrested next to the Vanderbilt University campus and hospital. I did my residency there. There's a lot of folks darting back and forth across the streets in the neighborhood.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A Tennessee lawmaker who sponsored a controversial bill to allow handguns to be carried in bars was arrested Tuesday for driving under the influence and possessing a handgun while under the influence.
Oh no - now a judge or probation officer will undoubtedly introduce him to the "Friends of Bill W." and he'll eventually introduce a bill to introduce every drinker in Tennessee to the Friends of Bill. The church basements are going to be packed, and the attendees may be packin'.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like the law worked. What's the beef?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and the reasoning behind my post is in reference to this bit.

He's loaded, his gun's loaded, but, by God, he's got his freedoms . . to kill you in several ways.

No one ever has freedom to kill anyone, save in self defense.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I'm waiting for the "I have learned the error of my ways, can I have my gun back now." media interview.

No doubt his constituents are concerned about his poor judgement -- not the whole drinking and driving with a loaded pistol thing, but his choice of firearm. A puny .38 special? You could hardly stop a hamster with that thing. Why isn't he carrying a real peace-and-freedom keeper? Like maybe a howitzer towed behind his car? The guy is just asking to be challenged by a proper candidate with a proper sense of ballistics.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
No doubt his constituents are concerned about his poor judgement -- not the whole drinking and driving with a loaded pistol thing, but his choice of firearm. A puny .38 special? You could hardly stop a hamster with that thing. Why isn't he carrying a real peace-and-freedom keeper? Like maybe a howitzer towed behind his car? The guy is just asking to be challenged by a proper candidate with a proper sense of ballistics.
Good point. When you're drunk it's hard to hit the broad side of a barn. He should have at least been carrying a .50 caliber. Or maybe one of those anti-aircraft missles that Libya lost and the State Department's trying to help them find.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well, if I were making it up, he would have been shot by a drunk in a bar, and his last words would be, "In spite of the obvious irony, this in no way invalidates my main argument."

Actually, his bill only allows people to carry guns into bars or restaurants if they don't drink while there; so theoretically there should never be a drunk with a gun. Hard to believe that separation would be maintained in real life, though.

Linked article said:
He allegedly failed a roadside sobriety test and refused to take a Breathalyzer test. A loaded .38-caliber gun was found in a holster stuffed between the driver seat and the center console.
I wonder if Rep. Todd was actually wearing the holster on his belt, then took it off and stuffed it between the seat and console when he saw the police lights?

I don't like guns, but I really don't like drunk drivers. Drunks kill a lot more people with cars than they do with guns.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Actually, his bill only allows people to carry guns into bars or restaurants if they don't drink while there; so theoretically there should never be a drunk with a gun. Hard to believe that separation would be maintained in real life, though.

My nomination for the prestigious Understatement of the Year Award, 2011.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if I were making it up, he would have been shot by a drunk in a bar, and his last words would be, "In spite of the obvious irony, this in no way invalidates my main argument."

I wonder if Rep. Todd was actually wearing the holster on his belt, then took it off and stuffed it between the seat and console when he saw the police lights?

I don't like guns, but I really don't like drunk drivers. Drunks kill a lot more people with cars than they do with guns.
Statistics, schmatistics. EVERYONE drives a car, but people are AFRAID of guns!
Law Bans "Open Carry" of Handguns
By Dave Rice | Posted October 12, 2011, 9:08 a.m.

In a flurry of last-minute signings and vetoes, [Califorenia] Governor Jerry Brown on Monday announced the signing into law of Assembly Bill 144, which bans “open carrying” of handguns. Such practice, where residents are allowed to openly and conspicuously possess an unloaded weapon in most public spaces, has been permitted since the state’s inception.

Brown, himself the owner of three guns, said in a statement he was following the request of law enforcement across the state who have complained of having to respond to panicked calls from citizens alarmed by groups gathering in public to legally display weapons, which distracts from more pressing matters. ...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score

The beef is that those of us who use math are once again being forced to carry those of you who don't. The chances of shooting someone in self defense are dramatically lower than the chances of killing someone you're fond of by accident. You're risking your own life and that of your family by keeping one of those little death machines at hand. So, there are two possibilities:

1. You aren't smart enough to understand that by being a firearms owner you're actually ENDANGERING your family more than protecting it.

or

2. It's not actually about protecting your family. It's about something else.

There are no other possibilities.

Yeah, yeah. I know. You're careful. You'd never let that happen. It's aaaaaaaaaaaaall first amendment until it's your toddler in the ICU.

I actually don't care about that--the problem is guaranteed to sort itself out over the long term--but I do have an immediate and personal concern. This is Georgia. I probably live next door to someone who thinks a Desert Eagle is ideal for home defense. By definition, gun owners can't think clearly.

It's a trifle worrisome.

That's the beef.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
A Tennessee lawmaker who sponsored a controversial bill to allow suitcase nukes to be carried in bars was arrested Tuesday for driving under the influence and possessing a suitcase nuke while under the influence.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, here ya go. :) Bolding mine.

From the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology (Northwestern University, 1995)

ARMED RESISTANCE TO CRIME: THE PREVALENCE AND NATURE OF SELF-DEFENSE WITH A GUN
Previous research has consistently indicated that victims who resist with a gun or other weapon are less likely than other victims to lose their property in robberies[3] and in burglaries[4]. Consistently, research also has indicated that victims who resist by using guns or other weapons are less likely to be injured compared to victims who do not resist or to those who resist without weapons. This is true whether the research relied on victim surveys or on police records, and whether the data analysis consisted of simple cross-tabulations or more complex multivariate analyses. These findings have been obtained with respect to robberies[5] and to assaults[6].
National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) data indicate that even in the very disadvantageous situation where the robber has a gun, victims who resist with guns are still substantially less likely to be injured than those who resist in other ways, and even slightly less likely to be hurt than those who do not resist at all.

With regard to studies of rape, although samples typically include too few cases of self-defense with a gun for separate analysis, McDermott, [9] Quinsey and Upfold, [10] Lizotte, [11] and Kleck and Sayles [12] all found that victims who resisted with some kind of weapon were less likely to have the rape attempt completed against them.
The reported surveys vary widely, but even the most conservative estimates 500,000 defensive uses of handguns a year, with the highest (from the LA Times) being in the 3.7 million uses range.

Lots more at the link, with footnotes and everything.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, much appreciated.

However, it seems as though I failed to express myself effectively. I wasn't trying to make the point that gun owners aren't Much more dangerous to strangers--they are indeed--but rather that they're MUCH more dangerous to themselves and people they care about.

Therefore, if your goal is to make your family safe, the best way to achieve that is to not own a gun.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Furthermore, I'll point out something Don missed (or glossed over) - that "defensive use with a gun" does not mean the gun is fired, unlike what the statement below (bolded by me) would lead one to believe:
The beef is that those of us who use math are once again being forced to carry those of you who don't. The chances of shooting someone in self defense ...
Every self-defense use of a gun does NOT involve shooting the gun. In fact, it usually doesn't. In the majority of instances, a "shady character" quickly turns around and goes the other way when he/she/it sees their potential victim show a gun.

As some may consider Don's source untrustworthy, I'll quote Wikipedia. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States#Self-protection
Of all incidents where a gun was used for self-defense, victims shot at the offender 28% of the time.
As Don says, no doubt the number of such "non-shooting" defensive uses could be much higher, as surely not everyone reports every incident where no shots were fired and effectively "nothing happened."