Snail Mail Query Format

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

So I usually only do email queries, but with this second round of letters going out, I need to broaden my search a bit. Now, I know most agents say to include "why your project is special . . . a bit about yourself . . . yadda yadda yadda" in the query.

Should I actually be doing that (I really don't have any writing creds yet) or just including the basic query, the attached synopsis, and a "thanks for your time" line?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

So I usually only do email queries, but with this second round of letters going out, I need to broaden my search a bit. Now, I know most agents say to include "why your project is special . . . a bit about yourself . . . yadda yadda yadda" in the query.

Should I actually be doing that (I really don't have any writing creds yet) or just including the basic query, the attached synopsis, and a "thanks for your time" line?

If an agent specifically asks for any information, it's usually a good idea to try to give that information.

If they ask for a bit about yourself, and you have no writing credits or relevant background, just put in a simple bio line - something about you - eg, are you a student, what is your occupation, are you a member of any writing organizations, etc.. When in doubt, you can always fall back on saying this is your first novel, if it is. That is generally unnecessary, but if the agent asks for bio and you have nothing to include, it's better than nothing... or you can ignore it - if the query is otherwise great, the agent isn't going to reject you because you didn't put in a bio. ;)

If they ask for why you project is special, I'd approach that in terms of market - ie, what niche does it fill, or why is it special in terms of what is already out there.

But I always tried to include whatever info the agent specifically asked for.

~suki

Last edited:

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What is there about you that "qualifies" you to write your book, or that inspired you to write it? Even if you're a hopeless romantic, a news junkie, a longtime smalltown resident, you've got a tiny window into your mind and your writing that could hook an agent.

I have no previous book credits, and I introduced myself as a travel junkie and sometime journalist who has explored some far-flung Asian locales. Hence my book with its exotic locations and its plot pulled from some very obscure headlines. It worked!

Michael Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelmurphy.me
Each agent will have different criteria and formats they like, so be sure to individualize your query to each agent. Don't make it appear like a form letter.