PDA

View Full Version : Realy stupid question but...

Ambitious
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Will a book stand any greater chance of getting published depending on what the genre is? I'm quite aware the demand for Sci-Fi is much higher than that of say Romances. So the really dumb question is: will an agent be more likely to represent you if your book is within a genre that has a higher or lower demand than most others?

Undercover
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM
There are agents out there that take specific genres. I don't think any genres is less popular then the other. Writing something you love is more important. And trying to match it with an agent that wants that type of work would be the next route to take.

Just my 2 cents, take or toss.

areteus
10-12-2011, 03:30 PM
It depends in some cases if you are doing something unusual or different with that genre or not and which agent you aim it at. Some agents will not touch some genres, others will only touch certain genres so the best thing to do is research your agents carefully.

Ambitious
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
There are agents out there that take specific genres. I don't think any genres is less popular then the other. Writing something you love is more important. And trying to match it with an agent that wants that type of work would be the next route to take.

Just my 2 cents, take or toss.

I do only write what interests me, I wouldn't write in a genre I hate just because it's popular and thanks for your information.

quicklime
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Will a book stand any greater chance of getting published depending on what the genre is? I'm quite aware the demand for Sci-Fi is much higher than that of say Romances. So the really dumb question is: will an agent be more likely to represent you if your book is within a genre that has a higher or lower demand than most others?

How do you figure? Last I heard romance vastly outsold sci-fi....

in any case, genre matters far less than execution. competition is tight enough a shitty book stands little or no chance in either genre, as does a mediocre book, and on the flip side a very good book should stand a fair chance of making it in either one. But almost all of the "will it get in" is quality; you can't really score random slush and say one genre is easier than the other

Terie
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
How do you figure? Last I heard romance vastly outsold sci-fi....

This. Last I heard, romance was the number one selling genre.

waylander
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
There are more agents that consider romance manuscripts than SF manuscripts. There are more romance books published than SF books. Romance is leading the way in terms of e-books sold.
You figure it out.

CACTUSWENDY
10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
I agree with what the others have said. Romance is number one on the 'buy' parade.

Drachen Jager
10-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, genre matters. See querytracker to get an idea of which genres are 'popular' though. Science Fiction is not that big right now, but Romance is and always has been one of the biggest.

On Querytracker you can see a list of the top 10 requested genres and the top 10 submitted genres. You'll see immediately they are not the same.

Writing in a 'popular' field alone won't help if it's also popular among writers, if there is 10x the demand for a genre, but also 10x the number of writers in that field your odds stay essentially the same.

Lastly, don't pick a genre just because it's 'easy' to get published in it. You have to love your genre or it's not very likely to work out for you.

kenpochick
10-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Ditto on romance. They sell like crazy! Science Fiction tends to be tricky. Really all you have to do is compare the size of the sections in the book store. The romance section in Barnes and Nobles is bigger than the Science-Fiction and Fantasy sections combined. Having said that, I don't see myself ever writing romance.

Write what you're drawn to and make sure your story is original regardless of the genre.

Parametric
10-14-2011, 09:57 PM
On Querytracker you can see a list of the top 10 requested genres and the top 10 submitted genres. You'll see immediately they are not the same.

*scratches head* When I look at the top 10 lists (http://querytracker.net/top10.php) on Querytracker, 9 genres are present on both the top 10 popular fiction genres and the top 10 most requested fiction genres. They're even in more or less the same order. The top 10 lists for non-fiction aren't quite so similar, but they still look pretty much the same.

JanetO
10-15-2011, 03:19 AM
You want an agent and a deal real quick? Write non-fiction. Sells better than just about anything. And all you have to do is write a 20-page proposal. But once you land them, of course, you have about nine months to finish the book.

rainsmom
10-15-2011, 04:56 AM
You want an agent and a deal real quick? Write non-fiction. Sells better than just about anything. And all you have to do is write a 20-page proposal. But once you land them, of course, you have about nine months to finish the book.
Erm... and you'd better have an established platform. Most agents won't look at nonfiction proposals from people without an established platform.