PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying sounds

Jenny
11-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Dripping tap. An oldie but a goodie, particularly now with Australia's water problems. It means not only is the sound irritating in itself, but there's the added guilt of water waste.

Anyone else?

poetinahat
11-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Someone else's stereo at 4AM. (If it's mine, hey, what's your beef, old geezer?)

WVWriterGirl
11-28-2005, 09:36 AM
The perinnial favorite of fingernails on a chalkboard. And I can't stand the sound of grinding teeth (both my husband and I are night grinders). They just both set my nerves on end.

PrettySpecialGal
11-28-2005, 09:50 AM
the friggin smoke alarm when the battery dies down and I can't figure out which one it is...
beep.......beep.........beep.........beep......... .

tiny
11-28-2005, 09:54 AM
That licking dog on the commercial with the peanut butter in his mouth cause the kid doesn't have anymore milk. Makes me want to retch. Ewwwww.

reph
11-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Snoring.

Car alarms.

writerterri
11-28-2005, 10:18 AM
MOM? MOM? MOM! MOM! MOM!

AdamH
11-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Metal utensils on teeth. Just drive me MADDDDDDD!!!!!:Headbang:

September skies
11-28-2005, 10:46 AM
dragging of feet as they walk - especially when adults do it!
Somehow with children and the elderly it's not so bad, but when I hear normal-bodied adults doing it, I want to stop them and sarcastically ask if they have a problem!!!!!

September skies
11-28-2005, 10:48 AM
I thought of two more.

A mosquito at night. You hear him buzzing around. Annoying!

A fly when it flies around your ear. He'll get close to you to torture you and then flies away. Then returns.....

AUUGHHH.

Who started this thread? I was fine when I logged on. Now I feel like screaming....

aadams73
11-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Really crappy Tejano music. My neighbors play it loud, with the bass pumped way up. When they do that, I have the urge to throw all my dog's crap on their lawn(and that's just the polite version)

Whining children.

My MIL's voice.

Knife and fork scraping across a plate.

My cat meowing at 3 a.m.

Static.

Carole
11-28-2005, 02:39 PM
All those nasty *cold/flu* sounds that should be left to the confines of the bathroom or sick-bed, but that some people insist on sharing with everyone.

(One day, "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, MOM!!!" will be one of the most cherished memories)

underthecity
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Someone eating potato chips with his mouth open. When kids do this, it's irritating but they're still learning. When adults do this, it's inexcusable.

The obnoxious and over-amplified sound of a couple kissing in a movie or TV show.

allen

Maryn
11-28-2005, 05:44 PM
The phone ringing any time after 11:00 p.m. Usually it's a drunk who's misdialed, of course, but my first thought is always, Who's dead?

Car alarms that shriek or honk or whatever for more than 60 seconds.

The tiny clicking sound of a really big bug on hardwood floor or tile in a silent house.

Unnecessary sirens for volunteer firefighters responding to a call in the middle of the night, when they're the only vehicle on the street. (I think it makes them feel like Big Boys.)

The extremely high-pitched whine of a light bulb that's going to die in the next day or two.

Maryn, sure there's more

Pat~
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
For me, it's sudden, unnerving sounds. The telephone is tops on my list. But also the department store alarms (when they forget to deactivate those clothing alarms).

Another mildly irritating sound is when a car pulls up next to you at the red light, windows rolled down, and bass amped up for all the world to hear.

PattiTheWicked
11-28-2005, 08:43 PM
For me, it's white noise. I hate when summer rolls around and I have to run the air conditioner. I hate ceiling fans. I also can't stand having two different noises going at the same time -- the car stereo is on, my kids are playing with Gameboys in the back seat and then my husband wants to TALK.

:::shudder:::

One at a time, people!

Oh, I also hate the tone of certain voices: John Mayer, Dave Matthews, and the hoopty guy from Counting Crows

maestrowork
11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Screeching, screaming, whining babies/infants, especially at places like restaurants, coffee shops or theaters. I won't shoot the babies, since I like kids. But I'd like to shoot the parents who let them scream at will.

pconsidine
11-28-2005, 10:00 PM
The sound of a bowl of macaroni and cheese being stirred.

Also, people whose eating sounds closely approximate the above. Worse still, being the only person in a room full of diner who doesn't sound like that.

Cringeworthy beyond all belief.

Perks
11-28-2005, 10:23 PM
The sound of a bowl of macaroni and cheese being stirred.

God, my stomach just did a flip! Lol! So gross...

A clock ticking in the quiet darkness is the Grim Reaper laughing at me.

DenimSoul
11-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Who knew a bowl of macaroni being stirred made a sound? I'll have to listen to it next time anyone makes it.

For me, it's ringing phones no matter what time of the day or night I just friggin' hate phones and car alarms blaring.

PattiTheWicked
11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks to Gypsy the Ten Ton Calico, allow me to add another one.

The sound of a cat tossing a hairball.

:::click, click, click, uuuurrrrrrkkkkkkakakakakakak::::

underthecity
11-28-2005, 11:05 PM
For me, it's ringing phones no matter what time of the day or night I just friggin' hate phones and car alarms blaring.

Even worse, hearing cell phones ring in a crowded movie theater halfway through the movie, THEN having to listen to the person answer the phone and have a conversation! GARGH!

And speaking of theaters, during a play, having to listen to the person behind you unwrap cellophane candy.

So to set the scene:

Quiet theater.

"Alas poor Yorick--"

CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE CRACKLE

"Thank you. May I continue? (Ahem) I knew him well."

allen

pconsidine
11-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Even worse, hearing cell phones ring in a crowded movie theater halfway through the movie, THEN having to listen to the person answer the phone and have a conversation! GARGH! Worst of all - cell phones ringing in church. Yes, God does mind if you take that call.

three seven
11-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Kylie Minogue.

Sarita
11-29-2005, 12:02 AM
One at a time, people!I'm with Patti on this one. The TV, Radio, and a conversation? I can deal with 2 of those three, but adding any more... Family gatherings are hell for me!

The sound of a car trying to start, but not quite making it. Wah, wah, wah, wah...

Oh, I also hate the tone of certain voices: John Mayer, Dave Matthews, and the hoopty guy from Counting Crows Me too, but it's only one voice that does it to me. Yep. Sara's Neil Diamond hatred rears it's ugly head. That voice makes me want to lose my hearing. My mom said I screamed as a child when I'd hear him sing.

three seven
11-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Neil Diamond... That voice makes me want to lose my hearing.Heathen.

Sarita
11-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Heathen. You sure know how to flatter the ladies.

Sara, proud to be a heathen... :)

threedogpeople
11-29-2005, 12:09 AM
styrofoam being cut or taken out of a box - makes my palms sweaty just thinking about it....

My-Immortal
11-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Fingernails scrapped against nylons.

The 'scuff-scuff-scuff' of people walking in cords.

ANYTHING that wakes up my little one while he's napping.

Listening to anyone while they're in the bathroom struggling to do their business...

Music played too loudly (unless it's something I like).

Braggarts, liars...

Hmmmm - I didn't know I had such a long list...

Take care all --

Perks
11-29-2005, 12:12 AM
A horrendous lie in a historical novel. (Hee hee)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22726

My-Immortal
11-29-2005, 12:14 AM
A horrendous lie in a historical novel. (Hee hee)

Or is it - An horrendous lie in an historical novel...? LOL

:)

Perks
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Or is it - An horrendous lie in an historical novel...? LOL

:)

YES!!! Ahhh... the sweet sound of 'an' (screw you Bill Gates and your grammar-checker)

underthecity
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Got another one that bugs me every day.

Anyone who speaks in monotone. My cubicle neighbor speaks in a low, tonal monotone, and slurs and mumbles everything he says. All. Day. Long. Makes me want to poke my eardrums out. (How about some vocal inflection? Would be great. . .) You hear this a lot in commercials.

Also, anyone who drops off at the end of every sentence spoken.

Or anyone who talks through gargling of phlegm in his throat, without ever clearing his throat. (I'm gonna have to kill you if you don't clear your throat.)

allen

My-Immortal
11-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Got another one that bugs me every day.

Anyone who speaks in monotone. My cubicle neighbor speaks in a low, tonal monotone, and slurs and mumbles everything he says. All. Day. Long. Makes me want to poke my eardrums out. (How about some vocal inflection? Would be great. . .) You hear this a lot in commercials.

Also, anyone who drops off at the end of every sentence spoken.

Or anyone who talks through gargling of phlegm in his throat, without ever clearing his throat. (I'm gonna have to kill you if you don't clear your throat.)

allen

Does he have Parkinsons or some other type of disease? If he's a healthy individual - then yes, I agree with you - but if he's not well, then I'd try to cut him some slack.

Take care --

underthecity
11-29-2005, 12:29 AM
No, as far as I know he's perfectly healthy, just annoying. I've sat near him for almost a year and a half. And I cut him plenty of slack, too. Believe me, I've taken an illness into consideration. (He's also almost ten years younger than me.)

allen

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
11-29-2005, 12:31 AM
lollipops being pulled from leather

trousers

My-Immortal
11-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Wet breathers....(not just mouth breathers - for the most part that's okay - I mean the ones that move the spit in their mouths when they breath in and out).

eldragon
11-29-2005, 12:50 AM
A utensil on styrofoam

A booming base speaker out of a car passing by

a cat in heat

Paula Abduls voice

a one sided cell phone conversation

a police siren when its behind your car

any song set on repeat

a smoke alarm

Celia Cyanide
11-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Yep. Sara's Neil Diamond hatred rears it's ugly head. That voice makes me want to lose my hearing. My mom said I screamed as a child when I'd hear him sing.

Interesting. Does the band Crooked Fingers have the same effect on you? They are my favorite band, and Neil Diamond comparisons abound. But I've always said that they are what Neil Diamond would sound like if Neil Diamond were really, really cool all the time.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I hate the sound that bongwater makes. Ew!

Sarita
11-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Does the band Crooked Fingers have the same effect on you? No idea. I've never heard them. I just checked Napster, but they're not on there... It's not just his "sound". His songs sung by someone else don't bother me. It's his voice in particular, speaking or singing.

Sarita
11-29-2005, 01:16 AM
UPDATE: Celia. I went to their site. They're great. His voice is NOTHING like Neil's frog voice.

Celia Cyanide
11-29-2005, 01:26 AM
That's great! Crooked Fingers rules. People compare them to ND, but I think they have their own style.

poetinahat
11-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Must be a 'Neil' thing. I may fry for this, but...

Neil Young.

Won't argue the merits of his songwriting, but "There is a town in north Ontario" is possibly the most painful line ever sung.

PeeDee
11-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Toby Keith. The man yodels like a horny goat, and he sings very silly songs that make me want to apologize to the rest of the world. (If you like Toby Keith, please assume that I'm just joking.) :)

Otherwise, I'm pretty docile. If it bothers me enough, I can always fall asleep and tune it out that way. Must be a defensive reaction.

mkcbunny
11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
I have no problem with the Neils. Sorry Sara, but ND is cool. Thrash me if you will. And if you want to drive me absolutely nuts, play Steely Dan or Rush.

As for noise, anything rhythmic: ticking clocks, dripping water, oscillating fans ...

aruna
11-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I don't know if you have ads for Danone Yoghurt in the US,. but one thing that drives me crazy is at the end of those TV ads, a woman kind of hums: "mmmmm, danone!" in a very atonal way. It's horrible!

also:
People hawking.
seagulls fighting (especially if you are trying to sleep!)
rats scurrying in the rafters above your head.
any kind of insecrt or small animal rustling in the undergrowth in the jungle
very loud music of any kind
some dialects (Swabian dialect in German; many English dialects, especially if you've reached a Call Centre and need some information, and you can't understand a word because the person is speaking Gaelic or something)

brokenfingers
11-29-2005, 01:29 PM
The sound of the patrolman's voice: "Do you know why I pulled you over, sir?"

The sound of the gavel when the Judge says: "Motion denied, Mr. Fingers. Are you sure you don't want to seek legal counsel?"

poetinahat
11-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Jim Effing Carrey

Carole
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
omg, yes. Neil Young and Jim Carrey. Both of them make my skin crawl.

Carole
11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Horn blowers in the parking lot at zero-dark-thirty who are too lazy to go ring the doorbell.

pconsidine
11-29-2005, 07:44 PM
omg, yes. Neil Young and Jim Carrey. Both of them make my skin crawl.
Aw, Neil ain't so bad. Though he's a complete and total spaz when you see him live.

Oh well. To each their own. As long as their own doesn't include macaroni and cheese.

writerterri
11-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Jim Effing Carrey

I didn't really care for him until he did Liar Liar. The man had me in tears I was laughing so hard. Then he did an excelent job in "Leminy Snickets Series Of Unfortunate Events" (did you see it?). So I disagree (with Carol too), but with love and a great big cheesy grin.

Carole
11-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Carole with an *E* ~laughing~ That's one of my biggest hangups. Unless it's ok to spell Terry with a *Y*

Elincoln
11-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Someone who sings out of tune. I collapse when I hear a sour note, even if it's intentional. Which is why I can never be in the same house as the TV when the beginning rounds of American Idol are playing.

Utensils scraping against a plate.

An old monitor or some other device that emits a high-pitch humming. Had to replace three screens because of the noise.

When my husband eats and inhales at the same time. *Shivers*

The sound of an Airplane landing at nearby Teterboro or Newark. 9/11 thing.

pconsidine
11-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Someone who sings out of tune. I collapse when I hear a sour note, even if it's intentional. Which is why I can never be in the same house as the TV when the beginning rounds of American Idol are playing. As a musician, you'd think this would drive me crazy, too, wouldn't you? but somehow I seem to have made peace with the fact that not everyone has the amount of musical talent I'd like them to.

Though American Idol does drive me nuts. I think that's because it's one thing to sing badly for your own enjoyment, but to think someone ought to pay you to do it brings out the worst in me.

Go figger.

Maryn
11-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Someone who sings out of tune. I collapse when I hear a sour note, even if it's intentional.Oh, yeah, that makes me nuts, too. I love him dearly, but Mr. Maryn singing along to the radio, or doing his Happy Birthday duty, makes me shudder.

Maryn ("Oh, the horror...")

poetinahat
11-30-2005, 01:49 AM
doing his Happy Birthday duty
I'm so, so glad it only took me two split seconds to figure out what this really meant. Now, my heart is warmed.

BLEACH TO AISLE 6!

Sarita
11-30-2005, 01:51 AM
I'm so, so glad it only took me two split seconds to figure out what this really meant. Now, my heart is warmed. The scariest part about this post is that my mind did the same split second double take. Nah, I'm in good company with Poet... right? right?

My-Immortal
11-30-2005, 01:52 AM
The scariest part about this post is that my mind did the same split second double take. Nah, I'm in good company with Poet... right? right?

That made three of us... LOL.

reph
11-30-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm so, so glad it only took me two split seconds to figure out what this really meant.
poet, I'm guessing you came here directly from Celia C's audition thread.

poetinahat
11-30-2005, 02:52 AM
You're right, reph. Heading straight back to the limericks and haikuicide to reprogram. Too much Ray-diation....

Pat~
11-30-2005, 03:17 AM
I'm ammending my earlier post. Today I went to the post office and set off the alarms going in. I did this last night at the drugstore as well. The worst clothing tag alarm sound is when it's coming the coat you bought last year which was already de-activated once. Now I get to take a trip back to the store to get de-activated again...