At least 24 dead in Cairo riots

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://news.yahoo.com/24-dead-worst-cairo-riots-since-mubarak-ouster-232452205.html

The Christian protesters said their demonstration began as a peaceful attempt to sit in at the television building. But then, they said, they came under attack by thugs in plainclothes who rained stones down on them and fired pellets.

"The protest was peaceful. We wanted to hold a sit-in, as usual," said Essam Khalili, a protester wearing a white shirt with a cross on it. "Thugs attacked us and a military vehicle jumped over a sidewalk and ran over at least 10 people. I saw them."

Wael Roufail, another protester, corroborated the account. "I saw the vehicle running over the protesters. Then they opened fired at us," he said.

Ahmed Yahia, a Muslim resident who lives near the TV building, said he saw the military vehicle plow into protesters. "I saw a man's head split into two halves and a second body flattened when the armored vehicle ran over it. When some Muslims saw the blood they joined the Christians against the army," he said.
Meet the new boss...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Dammit I hate when I have to agree with robeieio (not really). You may check back to earlier threads in which many of us expressed reservations about the possible outcomes of the various uprisings in the Middle East, and received more than a little abuse for doing so.

Not every "uprising" equates to Lech Walensa in Poland 20-some years ago.

caw.

Last edited: