Agents or publishers that accept Westerns?

texas_girl

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing a little bit of research on agents who accept the Western genre, and it seems to be a VERY small number (only about 10-15 agents actively seeking unsolicited queries). Have y'all found a treasure trove that I haven't discovered, or do most agents dislike Westerns?

Also, do agents that accept Historical Fiction ever consider Westerns?

Thanks!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Texas Girl - I just (during the past week) updated the markets sticky at the top of these western forums to include agents I've found that accept western genre. But even having them show up in that list isn't a guarantee. What you're more likely to find is agents who say absolutely no westerns. So no, the market is not big and there's not an unfound resource.

I'm working on a list of publishers to add to that sticky but it will be a few days before I put that up there in the thread (also in that first post).

You might take a look at the contests that are there, and there are a few more in one of the posts down that thread that haven't been updated yet. Also think about doing some searching for other contests on line.

On agents / publishers taking historical whether western qualifies - only if the historical aspect would be equivalent to the amount of good history you'd find in a historical work. So historical is not an automatic out.

Not very encouraging is it. Puma