Book Cover Tech Help!!!!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am working on a book cover at the moment for my WIP because I would like to begin promoting it. I have that same old dream cover in mind but I am not sure it can happen. So here's my problem. The image below (I know it is not the right size) is the type of book cover I would like, except instead of the "Do Not Cross" I would like to add my book title and instead of the "Crime Scene D..." I would like to add my name.

I am not very technologically savvy but I doubt that this is possible to do from this image. If I'm wrong, please correct me and tell me how.
So I was thinking that I'd have to find a similar background first, then add the police lines after because the police lines in the image above appear to be fake and added after the fact. After some searching, I found the original image.

Now, I need to add the police lines with my book title and name. But I am not sure how to do this. For a blank police line, I could only find a straight yellow line and when I added text it didn't look as believable as the lines in the first image. In other words, it looked terrible. So you see the problem and what I want to do: is there a solution? Does anybody know how to make this happen? I am not sure it is possible - probably just another dream cover that won't happen - but I really don't know. Please speak up if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hi everyone! I am working on a book cover at the moment for my WIP because I would like to begin promoting it. I have that same old dream cover in mind but I am not sure it can happen. So here's my problem. The image below (I know it is not the right size) is the type of book cover I would like, except instead of the "Do Not Cross" I would like to add my book title and instead of the "Crime Scene D..." I would like to add my name.

I am not very technologically savvy but I doubt that this is possible to do from this image. If I'm wrong, please correct me and tell me how.
So I was thinking that I'd have to find a similar background first, then add the police lines after because the police lines in the image above appear to be fake and added after the fact. After some searching, I found the original image.

Now, I need to add the police lines with my book title and name. But I am not sure how to do this. For a blank police line, I could only find a straight yellow line and when I added text it didn't look as believable as the lines in the first image. In other words, it looked terrible. So you see the problem and what I want to do: is there a solution? Does anybody know how to make this happen? I am not sure it is possible - probably just another dream cover that won't happen - but I really don't know. Please speak up if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Do you have the right to use and modify that image? That's the first question. If you don't, you'll need to either license it or work something up from scratch. (Oh hang on - says 'royalty free stock photo' in the URL? Do check the license though as you'd be using it for a commercial product.)

To make it look good, you'd need a graphic designer who knows what they are doing in Photoshop and probably Adobe Illustrator. That lettering is going to need to be drawn as if it's following the slight twists and bulges of the tape, and in the right perspective, rather than put on there flat.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I can get the image. I have some leftover credits to a stock photo site but I wanted to know what to buy first. So you think I should get the second one? Do you know anyone who is skilled enough to make this happen? Thanks!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I can get the image. I have some leftover credits to a stock photo site but I wanted to know what to buy first. So you think I should get the second one? Do you know anyone who is skilled enough to make this happen? Thanks!

I think probably the first one, because then you wouldn't have to create the tape. Would suggest looking for freelance graphic designers who have experience in commercial publishing - there are a lot of them about.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Is it very costly?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I don't think I'm willing to spend that much on a cover. I could always make one myself although I'm sure it wouldn't be as nice...
Oh well, thanks for the help.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Nag bit first.
MR- please read the Dreamstime usage license carefully. It talks about maximum printings of their art, etc.

That said, call your local high schools. Through the art teacher or yearbook advisor you might find a talented kid who would do it for 100 bucks or less. Treat it like a serious business transaction with them and you'll both get a good learning opportunity out of it.

Good luck!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I had mine done by an AWer. Let me know if you want the name.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
One other idea is to ask for help on the photoshopping forums. I use Gimp, and found a Gimp expert on the Gimp forum to help me modify some maps for my book. Fee was negotiable.

Good luck.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Nice idea, Cloud Eight, and thanks. @CACTUSWENDY, sure I'd like a name. So many great ideas here. Thank you all.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
The image below (I know it is not the right size) is the type of book cover I would like, except instead of the "Do Not Cross" I would like to add my book title and instead of the "Crime Scene D..." I would like to add my name.

I am not very technologically savvy but I doubt that this is possible to do from this image.

I could tell you how I would do it. And I don't think it would be that difficult to learn. But if you don't have any image editing experience, it could be challenging.

The tape in the photo is really just a fat yellow line with a white gradient added to it. Photoshop and Gimp both have a gradient tool. You would just need to add an identical gradient mask to the tape and the text.

Let me know if you have more questions. :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I could tell you how I would do it. And I don't think it would be that difficult to learn. But if you don't have any image editing experience, it could be challenging.

The tape in the photo is really just a fat yellow line with a white gradient added to it. Photoshop and Gimp both have a gradient tool. You would just need to add an identical gradient mask to the tape and the text.

Let me know if you have more questions. :)
Thanks so much. Hmm, well, I have Gimp but I am not very proficient with it. I guess you could put me on the "beginner" skill level. I know you are being clear and I am sorry to ask this but I don't think I understand how to duplicate the gradient. And then I'd need to add the text correctly and realisticly, which seems to be difficult. Any tips for that?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Photoshop uses clipping masks, where you can add a layers effect only to specific layers or groups of layers. Gimp doesn't have this feature.

For a light gradient in Gimp, I would select only that specific color of yellow and create the Gradient in a layer above the tape so that it only has the effect on the yellow and not on the white/black background or blood spatter.

Then go to blending mode options and set the gradient's layer to "lighten." Or you could just change it's opacity.

It's only a few steps. Not too difficult.

It's hard to explain these things all in text. I went ahead and looked up a tutorial that shows how to use gradients in Gimp. http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/gimp/gradient03.html

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like this?
6224651908_abb057b0a7_m.jpg

I was bored.

Last edited:

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Like this?
6224651908_abb057b0a7_m.jpg

I was bored.

Heh, you beat me to it Lillie. I was going to do the same thing. I'd blur the "tape" layer more in order to make it a more realistic gradient.

It's not a bad cover artistically, but if you consider these facts, you might want to rethink your idea:

-People are familiar with the yellow tape and may gloss over it at first - sort of how people ignore banners now on web pages.
-Once someone looks past the tape (which they'll do at first), they'll just see blood drops on a big empty background.
-when viewing the image, the crime tape acts like a frame. It draws attention directly into the blood splatter. Think about a picture frame and what you're drawing the reader's eyes to in that image. Is the blood spatter where you want their eyes to go first?
-Remember that people rarely pay attention to a frame. It's peripheral. Our eyes naturally focus on the center of the image. It's human nature. If you're setting up a frame like that - the crime tape, I mean - the viewer/reader should have something more than a blood droplet in a frame. Otherwise you're basically saying what's most important about this book and the cover is that blood droplet.