PDA

View Full Version : Any Farsi speakers?

crunchyblanket
10-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to find out what a young Iranian girl (around 9 years old) would call her grandparents, and her parents. Is there an equivalent for, say, 'mummy and daddy', or 'nanny and grandpa'?

Siri Kirpal
10-08-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm trying to find out what a young Iranian girl (around 9 years old) would call her grandparents, and her parents. Is there an equivalent for, say, 'mummy and daddy', or 'nanny and grandpa'?

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Why don't you ask this question in the International District section of this site? If we've got any Iranians here, I'd expect that to be where they hung out.

If you have no luck, get back to me. I don't speak Farsi myself, but I might be able to locate someone who does. In which case, I'd either need your whole list of questions or your email address.

Good luck.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

senka
10-08-2011, 01:48 PM
The word مامان can be used for mother. You can transcribe it as māmān. It is pronounced maa-maan, the ā is something between an a and an o, like the long vowel in "fawn". Māmān is informal, like one would say "mom".

There is also the wordمادر which means mother, so it's the more formal term. It is transcribed mādar and the first ā pronounces the same way like above, the second like in "hard".

For both you can also add the word jān which is a term of endearment. It is pronounced like the j in "Jack" and the long ā like above. Mādar jān or māmān jān is thus like "dear mother" or "mommy" or something.

For grandmother there is also a more formal term, which is مادر بزرگ = mādar bozorg (bozorg meaning "grand", the g pronounced the same way as in "grandma", the o like in "from"). The more informal one is مامان بزرگ = māmān bozorg.

Dad in Farsi is بابا which pronounces bābā with the long ā sound.
The more formal term for father would be پدر = pedar, e like in "planet", a like in "hard".

Grandpa is بابا بزرگ = bābā bozorg and grandfather is پدربزرگ = pedar bozorg.

crunchyblanket
10-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it :)