Research question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a literary essay on sleep paralysis and there's an associated sleep center where I live. I'd like to score an interview with a doctor or, ideally, sample some of their sleep tests so I can write about them. Now, I do have sleep paralysis, but I don't particularly require treatment. What would be the best way to go about scoring an interview? Is there any way I could ask so I could maybe take a look at some of their treatment equipment or tour their office, even if I'm not doing this in the capacity of a paid reporter?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I would contact the Center director's office, explain that you're writing an essay about it BECAUSE you have the disorder and request an interview with their top doctor. Tell the director (or whoever you're punted to) that you're looking for some basic history, any glowing accomplishments of that particular center and research on new and improved treatments. Let them know that their center will be listed prominently and that if you can sell the article to a magazine, newspaper, etc., they will be notified. If the doctor's time is limited, get as many details as you can from the web and books, and just ask the doctor to confirm or disagree with specific points. You still get your quotes, and the doctor will feel more comfortable with you, the more knowledge you have on the subject.

One big no-no: DO NOT ask for advice on your particular issue, even if the subject comes up. This is a sure way to kill the interview half-way through. When you're DONE with the interview, you can certainly ask if the doctor might be willing to answer a question or two about your situation, but leave it out initially. You can mention you HAVE the disorder, and if the doctor inquires more about it, just say something like, "Oh, no -- I don't want to take up your valuable time talking about me. My condition doesn't require treatment. Now, about that new..." etc., etc.

Now, quite possibly, the doctor or center director will want to read the final product for accuracy and to make sure that you haven't misquoted or left out a key detail or phrase. But they shouldn't have any problem with this. I do it all the time.

Good luck! :D

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
If the center is large enough to have a public relations or a media relations person, go through them. Just call their main number and ask for either of those departments. Much of their job involves setting up interviews and getting the name of their organization out there. If there is no pr person, try the director. One bit of (unasked for) advice. if you do score an interview, be prepared with good, solid, researched questions and be respectful of how much time the interviewee says they can give you.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Tish Davidson said:
If the center is large enough to have a public relations or a media relations person, go through them. Just call their main number and ask for either of those departments. Much of their job involves setting up interviews and getting the name of their organization out there. If there is no pr person, try the director. One bit of (unasked for) advice. if you do score an interview, be prepared with good, solid, researched questions and be respectful of how much time the interviewee says they can give you.

No problem there. I just polished off a ghost-writing gig on sleep paralysis, which meant plowing through some 750 Pubmed abstracts, plus I'm an experiential expert, so I could do this interview comatose.

SusanR

Registered
Reaction score
In the course of researching my novel, I've gotten help from incredible people, including the forensic pathologist who is the consultant to the CSI television show, the man who determined that Russian remains were not those of Czar Nicholas Romanov, the local police department, the New York State Crime Lab, a Dutch linguist, and a score of local historians.

In each case, I made initial contact by email or phone, introduced myself and requested help, asked my questions succinctly and expressed appreciation immediately.

I've also been on the other end, having provided medical background to several writing friends and the local news network on occasion. What doesn't work well when I'm consulted as an expert is challenging or dismissing my opinions, being presumptuous about my time, asking for personal medical advice, or forgetting to thank me. (I have one writer who asked a few questions, which was I happy to answer, then expected me to read, critique, and correct his HUGE manuscript.)

I've had amazing success just asking for what I want...people are usually quite generous.

SusanR

Status
Not open for further replies.