Engrenages/Spiral

Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
I did a search, but couldn't find previous comments on this TV series.

This French drama series is about the police and judicial system in France, the title Engrenages means 'cogs' or 'wheels within wheels', but the BBC chose to call it Spiral, which is much less evocative than the original title.

I watched the third season on the BBC, and ordered the DVD box with all three seasons from Amazon. Amazing series, very well acted.

Each series has an arc story and every episode [8 in the first and second series, 12 in the third series] has different smaller cases making the lives of the main characters difficult.

The visuals are not for the faint at heart, the production team seems to enjoy lingering in loving detail over corpses of beautiful young women with their faces pulped by hammers or their breasts cut off, but the acting is stellar and the story lines continually change direction, making the series addictive.

The DVDs are French spoken with English subtitles [good to work on your Broken French]. Production values are high and the setting is a Paris rarely seen by tourists.

For more, check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_(TV_series)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004V98NX2/?tag=absowrit-21

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I really like this series. Although I think the third one did get a bit over the top with the blood and gore.....

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Do you maybe the fact that I'm female made a difference? I'm not saying women are wussy, just the fact that the victims were female and brutally murdered hit me harder than it did you?

Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
Do you maybe the fact that I'm female made a difference? I'm not saying women are wussy, just the fact that the victims were female and brutally murdered hit me harder than it did you?

I think you're more sensitive than I am on this issue, but I'm not sure your gender is a factor. My wife watched the series with me, and she wasn't bothered by the graphic visuals. There are also several male victims. In the second series, a stabbed male lying for a few days in the summer heat is turned on his back. That was a pretty disgusting visual, but it was more the damage to the body than the fact that it was a male or female victim.

I do feel, on the whole, that women tend to emphatize more than men. I can also see how some women would feel attracted to the Pierre Clement character, while I think Roban is much more interesting, just as Berthaud is less interesting to me than Karlsson. On that note, did you think Karlsson was a bitch or did you admire her fortitude?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard great things about this series and I'm watching the recent repeats of Series 1 from BBC Four - four episodes down, four to go.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
. On that note, did you think Karlsson was a bitch or did you admire her fortitude?

Hmm..... both, to be honest. I really liked the fact that she was such a complex character by the end of the 3rd series. Her development arc was a very good one. Much more subtle than Berthaud's.

I didn't like the character though. But then I guess we're not supposed to. I liked Berthaud. But you're right, K was the more interesting.

My favourite male character in the last series? TinTin.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
What was your reaction to the graphic visuals of the autopsy of the murder victim? Too much, not enough, or just enough?

It was too much. I didn't watch after the first few seconds. And I winced every time we got a glimpse of the victim's photos for the whole series.

I think it was a gender thing for me in the sense that the attacks were on specifically female parts of the victims. It made me really uncomfortable.