PDA

View Full Version : Call for Submission of Romance Stories (Royalty and $5/350 words)

CnC_Publishing
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Coffee and Cream Publishing is actively accepting submissions of interracial and multicultural stories.

Novels and Novellas unknown payments. Author's royalties are negotiable but will between 35% to 45% of cover on C&C website sales and 35% of 3rd party sales. Quarterly royalty payments.

Coffee and Cream Publishing is now seeking short story submissions for our website readers. Authors are paid $5.00 USD per page, based on a 350 word count per page (20 page minimum).

This is a start-up publisher and no history can be provided.

Please go to our webpage for our guidelines and how to submit information at http://www.coffeeandcreampublishing.com/submissions

Creative_Solitude
10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Sounds interesting...

Maryn
10-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi. Thanks for sharing the opportunity. One problem, though. (Don’t worry, it’s an easy fix.)

We ask that pay rates be included in the subject line of all Paying Markets posts. (See the RULES OF THE PAYING MARKETS FORUM: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD/COMMENTING (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828) thread.) Your post doesn’t include the pay rate at all, much less in the subject line.

Why do we need this? We've had repeated problems with our members being critical of pay rates. By putting what you're paying for how many words right in the subject line, AW’s writers need never even open posts for paying markets whose pay rate they consider unacceptable for themselves. Problem solved--but only if everyone posting complies with our rules.

Experience says that expecting AW members to contact you privately about pay rate, or to get the information from a website you’ve linked, won’t do it. In fact, we’ve found it fairly common to have to scour many pages of the website for mention of pay, or for the linked guidelines to have no mention of pay rate at all.

It will help us a lot if you edit your post to include the pay rate. To edit your subject line, click on Edit, then Advanced.

Maryn, thanking you in advance

CnC_Publishing
10-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Unknown payments. Author's royalties are negotiable but will between 35% to 45% of cover on C&C website sales and 35% of 3rd party sales. Quarterly royalty payments.

Maryn
10-06-2011, 11:26 PM
We still need a clue. Can you share an average amount other authors are getting? Or the typical cover price and average sales per title across the board? If you're brand-new and don't know, say so, and share with us your qualifications as publisher(s).

People want to base their decision on whether to submit their work on some facts. You're not giving us any. It's not a crime to be a new publisher, if that's the case. We wish you great success!

Maryn, hoping to be helpful

veinglory
10-07-2011, 12:46 AM
They are new.

Creative_Solitude
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
We still need a clue. Can you share an average amount other authors are getting?

I don't think they have any signed authors as yet. Or at least it appears that way from looking at the sight anyway.

Miakoda
10-10-2011, 05:42 AM
I will be putting in a submission at the end of November, is that okay? Venturing into NaNoWriMo again this year. :D

FabricatedParadise
10-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Hmmm... one of my possible NaNo projects might fit this pretty well. I guess it's worth some looking into.

Edit: Snap! The typos on the submissions page have me thinking twice. I hope it's not indicative of their editing skills, since one of the first services listed is editing.

CnC_Publishing
10-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I've always been impressed by authors who do the NaNoWriMo and write a whole novel in 30 days!! Best of Luck and looking forward to your submission.

CnC_Publishing
10-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Coffee and Cream Publishing is now seeking short story submissions for our website readers. Authors are paid $2.00 per page, based on a 350 word count per page (20 page minimum).

For further details, please go to http://www.coffeewithcreampublishing.com/submissions

Maryn
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Ooh-ooh, can you edit your subject line to share a hard pay figure? Just add "$2/350 words" or something. That gives us wanna-bes an idea.

Maryn, pouring us both some coffee

Edit: And I see that you have. Thank you!

Treysaur21
10-13-2011, 02:32 AM
I started a novel in high school that would fit into this category. Time to dig it up, dust off and rework and finish, I think...

Silver-Midnight
11-21-2011, 06:51 AM
I think you have to submit a fee, at least for the short stories.

I usually write interracial romance short stories myself.

Has anyone submitted to them yet?

CnC_Publishing
11-25-2011, 12:59 PM
There's never a charge to the author! We are a start-up publisher looking to work with published and up and coming authors.

Novels and Novellas unknown payments. Author's royalties are negotiable but will between 35% to 45% of cover on C&C website sales and 35% of 3rd party sales. Quarterly royalty payments.

Coffee and Cream Publishing is now seeking short story submissions for our website readers. Authors are paid $2.50 per page, based on a 350 word count per page (20 page minimum).

Please go to our webpage for our guidelines and how to submit information at http://www.coffeeandcreampublishing.com/submissions

Silver-Midnight
12-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Thank you.

Silver-Midnight
12-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Coffee and Cream Publishing is now seeking short story submissions for our website readers. Authors are paid $2.00 per page, based on a 350 word count per page (20 page minimum).

For further details, please go to http://www.coffeewithcreampublishing.com/submissions

Short Stories - Between 7,000 and 20,000 word count (Accepted for C&C market only).
Novellas - 28,000 to 50,000 word count (80 to 120 pages)
Novels - 88,000 to 120,000 work count ( greater than 250 pages)

Found that on their website. I don't know if they are still trying to get off the ground though.

CnC_Publishing
01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
We have just increased our price for accepted short story submission from $2.00 USD per 350 word count to $5.00 USD per 350 word count.

In addition, we are excited to announce its Spring Romance Writing Contest for interracial and multicultural Romance short stories. 1st place wins $500.00 USD. Submission dates are January 23, 2012 to April 30, 2012.

Complete contest details are located at http://www.coffeeandcreampublishing.com/contest/11-2012-spring-romance-short-story-contest

escritora
01-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Cnc, be sure to change the thread title to reflect the price change.

Also, you may want to post the contest in the Promotions and Announcements forum for better exposure.

CnC_Publishing
01-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Thank you

Silver-Midnight
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Not that I have anything against them, but it still looks like no one has been published by them.

FoamyRules
01-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Hmmm, this seems interesting. Apparently no one has been published by them as of yet but maybe I'll consider it.

Stacia Kane
01-26-2012, 08:11 PM

I assume "no history can be provided" means you have no publishing experience?

CnC_Publishing
01-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes, we are a new to the romance industry. However, the principals of C&C Publishing have combined experience of over 30 years in the publishing business and currently have over a dozen books in print. This is our first foray into romance publishing, but I feel our substantial experience will translate to this market.

We provide writers with high quality service and contribute our know-how to eliminate some of the issues that frustrate readers in the straight to ebook market (e.g. poor editing, lack of distribution in all formats and markets, etc.). In addition, we plan on being in business for a very long time.

I understand writer’s uncertainty with a new publisher, so try us out by submitting some shorts to our contest.

http://www.coffeeandcreampublishing.com/contest/11-2012-spring-romance-short-story-contest

www.coffeeandcreampublishing.com

Unimportant
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I understand writer’s uncertainty with a new publisher, so try us out by submitting some shorts to our contest.

Just noting -- there's a US$10 entry fee per submission to the contest. Personally, I do not pay publishers -- ever.

Filigree
01-29-2012, 02:22 AM
In the art world, I'd pay a $10 or slightly higher entry fee if:

1) The contest or show was held at or sponsored by a big name gallery or museum with a lot of press coverage and clout in my industry.

2) The grand prize was at least $1000.

Publishing isn't that different. I recently jumped at the chance to submit a story to a well-known anthology publisher, even though I'm not getting paid much. The venue looks damned good in my query letters. And they didn't charge for entry.

The blog 'Miss Snark's First Victim' charges $8 entry fee for its yearly agent auction, in which victims submit a logline and the first 250 words of their mms to at least 15 agents at once (some of whom are nearly always closed to queries.) If the agents rep a writer's genre, it can be a career-changing shortcut.

In C&C's case, I am not inspired to throw away money.

veinglory
01-29-2012, 03:34 AM
For people who do pay entry fees a standard guidelines is that the entry fee should be no more than 1-2% of the first prize. C and C would be within that.

Filigree
01-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Bear in mind this is a $10 entry fee for a possible $500 first place prize, $100 second place, and $50 third place. Kudos for the statement that they will refund entry fees if they don't get more than 15 entries. Still, that's rather steep, given the venue.

CnC_Publishing
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Like most contests, the entry fee amount is not motivated by profit. The entry fee is strictly to make sure that the submitters are serious about their work. In celebration of Valentine's Day, the entry fee will be reduced to $2.00 on all submissions received by February 14, 2012.

Nexus
02-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Like most contests, the entry fee amount is not motivated by profit. The entry fee is strictly to make sure that the submitters are serious about their work. In celebration of Valentine's Day, the entry fee will be reduced to $2.00 on all submissions received by February 14, 2012.

This is by no means an accusation, but this is what is going through my mind as soon as I read the various points in this thread:

-You are a new company with ABSOLUTELY NO experience in the industry
-Therefore credit received from saying, "I was published by CnC" is virtually nill
-You think it is justifiable to charge 10 dollars for someone to submit a short story to possibly win credit that is, at this moment, of no mainstream use.

NEXT: You seem to slide over the fact that each short story submission to a legitimate market is a contest. You are slush from the start, and work your way up, beating people only by merit.

Winning is legitimate credit and a paycheck. If you lose, well you didn't spend a dime doing it.

A contest - when run by someone without publishing experience - is nothing but *possibly* a paycheck. Credit here means next to nothing (at least for a while). And if you lose, you are down ten bucks. So why would anyone in their right mind submit?

Like most contests, the entry fee amount is not motivated by profit. The entry fee is strictly to make sure that the submitters are serious about their work..

The entry fee is to gauge if the authors are serious? I am dang serious when I send my work to ANY legitimate publisher. I don't screw around and expect to have a chance to be published. To assume that ONLY paying submitters are serious is to basically admit that you know almost nothing about the publishing industry and are trying to make a few bucks with a contest - because you are unable to make money by selling quality products/stories.

Essentially, making the assertion that paid submitters are the serious ones is to take a page from Publish America's book in my opinion.

Also, if you have any question about the credit given to people publishing from a content with non-named editors, please refer to SFWA.org and their great lists of information on what is deemed credit (and also what contests to avoid).

That's what I get out of this. Correct me if I am wrong guys.

Edit: Sorry if I broke any "Paying Market" rules when posting this. I was in Background Checks and Bewares and clicked on a thread someone posted about this market. I thought I was still in that forum.

Filigree
02-02-2012, 12:01 AM
What Nexus wrote.

I'd welcome a new romance publisher, as long as it is professional and operates with honesty and transparency. Given what I've seen on its website and here on AW, Coffee and Cream Publishing inspires more questions than submissions.

AW unjustly has a reputation for author-and-editor-bashing, probably earned through years of dealing with true scammers who hate seeing their business model exposed. But I've also seen new editors completely wow the audience with credentials, marketing strategies, and professional ethics.

Please be a little more open about who you are, your credentials, and why authors should submit works to you.

JDMorgan
03-21-2012, 04:31 AM
Um, I'm new here and perhaps it may not be my place to say but the first link I clicked took me to an error ridden submissions page. It looks like they have no editors or cover designers yet either.
I was considering this but now I'm not quite so sure...

Silver-Midnight
03-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Um, I'm new here and perhaps it may not be my place to say but the first link I clicked took me to an error ridden submissions page. It looks like they have no editors or cover designers yet either.
I was considering this but now I'm not quite so sure...

I don't even know if they have any writers yet. So far, I haven't seen any of their books. I could be wrong though.

padnar
03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
I have a multi racial short story titled Music plays cupid ,but it is only 2000 words. Can I submit ?

Silver-Midnight
03-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a multi racial short story titled Music plays cupid ,but it is only 2000 words. Can I submit ?

I think they have a 5,000 word minimum, but I can't remember for sure.