PDA

View Full Version : Worst household chore--

SRHowen
10-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Today I spent 3 hours clearing the stove and ovens. I feel like I don't have any finger prints left, and all I can smell is Easy Off that doesn't make anything easy at all.

SO what is your worst household chore?

Smish
10-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Well, I don't clean the oven. Then again, I never really use it.

For me, the worst chore is grocery shopping. I know that's not technically a household chore, but you do have to unload the groceries when you get home. :D

alleycat
10-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Maybe not the worse (since I don't have to do it that often), but I dread washing the French doors. There's two doors, each with 3x5 panes--which makes for 120 little corners to wash.

Shadow_Ferret
10-06-2011, 05:19 AM
The bathroom. Especially around the toilet since we have two boys who have never known how to aim.

The oven is the easiest. It's self-cleaning and just a matter of wiping out the white ash.

KellyAssauer
10-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Worst to me, means that there might be one more enjoyable than another... which makes me think, because for some strange reason I do feel a certain peace with a dust cloth and some lemony smelling cleaner... so it's not dusting... hmmmm. Cleaning out the fridge, top to bottom, that kinda bites...

Smish
10-06-2011, 05:25 AM
None of you are welcome in my house. Bunch of clean freaks.

:D

Jehhillenberg
10-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Watching younger brothers. My God. Oh and dishes, cleaning bathroom, and vacuuming. Thank goodness for dishwashers.

SRHowen
10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
The bathroom. Especially around the toilet since we have two boys who have never known how to aim.

The oven is the easiest. It's self-cleaning and just a matter of wiping out the white ash.

My boys are adults now and have their own toilets, LOL

Funny my husband has been deployed twice, and on other away from home duty almost since we bought the house--today he asked what did you do today when he called, I said cleaned the oven, he said oh that must have gone quick just turn on the self clean and wipe.

Umm, ok I get that you have only been home about a year total out of the last 4, but sheesh, you could remember we do not have a self cleaning oven--I was pretty steamed.

Dishes and laundry rank near the top even though I do have a super good dishwasher, I hate loading the things and putting the dishes away, laundry, it's the folding, ugh.

Generally, I hate housework period.

alleycat
10-06-2011, 05:52 AM

What I've never quite figured out is how "gunk" gets behind the stove. It's not like I have a bunch of stuff boiling over all the time.

SRHowen
10-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Or down the sides, and I don't cook black gooey stuff, yet that's what gets down the sides of it. How? Must be things related to the sock gremlins who do it.

spacejock2
10-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Sanding back and repainting gutters.

Fruitbat
10-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Bah, I hate all of it. However, I do love a clean, good smelling place. My dream is to live in a motel room. The maid would have to clean it every day and leave new little individually wrapped soaps and cups and everything. :)

Snowstorm
10-06-2011, 06:38 AM
][/SIZE]Bah, I hate all of it. However, I do love a clean, good smelling place. ...

I'm the same way. So what to do to get that clean, good-smelling place? ALL OF IT. Yuck!

But the worst is cleaning the tubs. The scrubbing with the brush on my knees and screws up my shoulders and neck. Man, I hate it. IhateitIhateitIhateitIhateitIhateit.

LauraAnnSwanson
10-06-2011, 06:40 AM
I don't clean any of those things. I just move when the filth becomes too much. lol

(jk)

SRHowen
10-06-2011, 06:42 AM
I owuld be happy with a maid to clean, but I'd have to clean before they came. UGH

alleycat
10-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Or down the sides, and I don't cook black gooey stuff, yet that's what gets down the sides of it. How? Must be things related to the sock gremlins who do it.

Socks are evil!

Gretad08
10-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Unloading the dishwasher. I friggin haaaaate doing that. Passionately hate doing that. I'd clean ten bathrooms over unloading one load of clean dishes.

Satori1977
10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Laundry. Not so much washing or drying, that is easy. But the folding, putting away, and the worst - ironing! I would rather do anything else.

Don't much care for cleaning bathrooms, but a gross bathroom is well, gross. It feels rewarding to have a sparkling bathroom.

My favorite? Vacuuming and steam cleaning the carpets. :)

Jehhillenberg
10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Laundry. Not so much washing or drying, that is easy. But the folding, putting away, and the worst - ironing!

Haha. I don't iron. Probably should start though I guess.

bettielee
10-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Washing dishes. I do not have a dishwasher.

I also hate doing the floors. I do not have a decent mop, but I have very small linoleum spots. I have to do them by hand.

backslashbaby
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Cleaning the toilet. It's a toilet, so ew, really.

The most annoying one is picking up the branches and sticks that fall out of all my big trees, far away from any good place to put them. I wish I could just sweep them under a couch :D

Shakesbear
10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a sign that says "You are welcome to admire the dust, but please don't write in it." I hate dusting. I also hate having to use the hoover to suck up the cobwebs which I should do every week.

If there are self cleaning ovens why are there no self cleaning houses?

sunandshadow
10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I dislike vacuuming the most because I always get all sweaty doing it, usually bash my toes on something or run them over, vacuuming stairs is horribly awkward, and then at the end I have to empty the canister and generally manage to get dust on me and breathe it too.

Shakesbear
10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
I dislike vacuuming the most because I always get all sweaty doing it, usually bash my toes on something or run them over, vacuuming stairs is horribly awkward, and then at the end I have to empty the canister and generally manage to get dust on me and breathe it too.

Have you tried putting the canister in a bin bag and emptying it? That is what I do - I also wait a minute or two after emptying it so the dust settles.

I also hate vacuuming the stairs.

JSDR
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I once turned the "self-clean" option on in an oven that hadn't been cleaned since it was installed I don't even know how long ago. We had to evacuate the house.

Anyway, I think worse chore is doing the dishes after holiday meals or parties. There are so many pots and pans that don't fit in the dishwasher - which does a double load those nights.

Cliff Face
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Hmm... Let me think...

Worst: Cleaning the shower. HATE IT.
Next worst: Used to be doing the dishes. But we currently have a dishwasher, which I quite like. I have no problem loading and unloading the dishwasher. It's just the manual scrubbing that I hate - it takes so friggin' long!!

Mopping is a real pain. First off, it means you can't walk over those floors until they dry. Secondly, half the time the mop is so useless that it'd be quicker and easier (and use a lot less water, come to that) to just use a sponge and some elbow grease.

Cleaning the kitchen isn't too bad, except that mum makes a load of mess in there. It seems she's incapable of making a cup of coffee or tea without spilling some, and she always leaves toast crumbs all over the place every single day, and she never seems to throw out garbage involved with the cooking process. Grr.

I think my favourite part of cleaning (besides having a clean house afterwards) is Spring Cleaning, or whatever month you decide to do it in. I love getting rid of clutter. You find out exactly what you happen to have in your house, and you can get rid of a lot of it, and maybe even have a garage sale and make some money. It's a great way of revamping your psyche, too.

(Yes, I think about the issues of cleaning way too much.)

Elenitsa
10-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Nothing worse than ironing!

Washing windows second next.

Lavern08
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't clean any of those things. I just move when the filth becomes too much.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! ;)

Alan Yee
10-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Worst: Cleaning the toilet and the surrounding areas. Makes me gag. When I'm home for quarter breaks or for the summer, I usually volunteer to do dishes, unload clean dishes from the dishwasher, carry down laundry baskets and retrieve dryer loads for my mother, and vacuum the stairs. Just 'cause I hate cleaning the bathroom so much. Bathtub isn't that bad, but it's frustrating because there are marks that absolutely do not come off, yet I still try in vain to scrub them off. Though I tolerate it, I'm not that fond of vacuuming the stairs because (A) I get very sweaty, (B) with two dogs at home at the moment, there is a LOT black dog hair I have to pull out with my fingers that the small vacuum won't pick up, and (C) when I empty the vacuum afterwards and dump the hair and dust out, it gets all over my fingers and the dust starts flying all over.

Alpha Echo
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Vacuuming the stairs. I HATE it!

rhymegirl
10-06-2011, 09:28 PM

I think I'd have to totally agree with your answers.

I have 3 males in my household who can't aim. Or clean out the sink after shaving. (some of them)

And one thing I love about my oven is that it is self-cleaning. All I do is wipe out the white ash, too.

swachski
10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
This is the only house I wouldn't mind cleaning.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW6jN8ntbjlpJJzfCVNVN2u0ERSlXN8 u68VW-1QCKgT6aODhWO

Smish
10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
:roll:

lucidzfl
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Wouldn't know. My wife does all the chores.

Velma deSelby Bowen
10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't mind cleaning the bathroom -- even the toilet -- but cleaning the refrigerator, particularly the vegetable bin after something has rotted and is oozing and moldy -- that's what makes me gag.

Stlight
10-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I hate chasing the spiders out of the fridge.

I used to hate dusting the oven, but sis actually uses it to cook, so I don't have to do that any more.

stormie
10-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Bah, I hate all of it. However, I do love a clean, good smelling place. My dream is to live in a motel room. The maid would have to clean it every day and leave new little individually wrapped soaps and cups and everything. :)
Ooo...I know! I'll become a celebrity (hey, I live near where Jersey Shore is filmed) then write a book like Snooki did.
Or I'll grow a gazillion inches and become a model / celebrity and write a book about that. I'll get sent all over the country and get to stay in motels (make that 5 star resorts) and be pampered.

No more dirty toilets. No more mold in the grout around the shower.
No more falling over backwards when I take the curtains down to be washed.

rhymegirl
10-06-2011, 11:03 PM
My dream is to live in a motel room. The maid would have to clean it every day and leave new little individually wrapped soaps and cups and everything. :)

I didn't see this before.

Now this sounds wonderful!

SRHowen
10-06-2011, 11:26 PM

Oh, man, washed the curtains while I was scrubbing at the oven, holly cow, there was a cow sized amount of dust and cat fur in those things.

Fall cleaning continues today, with the under the sink cupboard and the fridge. Ugh the fridge.

lucidzfl
10-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Ooo...I know! I'll become a celebrity (hey, I live near where Jersey Shore is filmed) then write a book like Snooki did.
Or I'll grow a gazillion inches and become a model / celebrity and write a book about that. I'll get sent all over the country and get to stay in motels and be pampered.

No more dirty toilets. No more mold in the grout around the shower.

Your aim is to live in a motel ? :(

Damn, aim higher than that, at least a hotel, or a resort. Gosh!

This is what i'm talking about...

http://www.pierhouse.com/_images/_design/_headers/sub_hemingway.jpg

SRHowen
10-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh yeah. Do they allow pets and have a litter box cleaning service?

lucidzfl
10-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah. Do they allow pets and have a litter box cleaning service?

The place above is about 700$ a night. Pretty sure they take care of everything. I never took my pets there though. Why would I take my pets with me to a hotel :D

Button
10-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Lately it's dishes. The Cajun keeps telling me I'm not doing it right.

So I'm refusing to do them from now on. ;)

SRHowen
10-07-2011, 12:21 AM
The idea was to live in a hotel so one didn't have to do chores, I'd have to take my pets with me if I moved.

lucidzfl
10-07-2011, 12:29 AM
The idea was to live in a hotel so one didn't have to do chores, I'd have to take my pets with me if I moved.

If we're talking about spitballing dreams, i'd get a second hotel room just for the pets.

backslashbaby
10-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Lately it's dishes. The Cajun keeps telling me I'm not doing it right.

So I'm refusing to do them from now on. ;)

That's really the worst. I'm very quick to say Do it yourself, then!

My ex was one of those guys whose mother did all the cleaning and chores. He is now married to a lovely girl who enjoys doing chores whether her man 'helps' or not (even during Med School, with an infant!). Suffice it to say that is like a completely different universe to me :D

scarletpeaches
10-07-2011, 01:23 AM
I would rather read JAR's biography of Lady Gaga while having rabid gnomes sand my toes down to bloody stumps than do the ironing.

Cliff Face
10-07-2011, 01:27 AM
That's really the worst. I'm very quick to say Do it yourself, then!

My ex was one of those guys whose mother did all the cleaning and chores. He is now married to a lovely girl who enjoys doing chores whether her man 'helps' or not (even during Med School, with an infant!). Suffice it to say that is like a completely different universe to me :D

Yup. I was taught to dust and vacuum from the early age of about 7. Represent!

I would rather read JAR's biography of Lady Gaga while having rabid gnomes sand my toes down to bloody stumps than do the ironing.

I don't iron my clothes. Basically, I'm a slob. Actually, my theory is that clothes will get wrinkles as soon as you wear them next, so what's the point?

Granted, I don't screw my clothes up into little balls - I tend to fold them. But I don't personally have a problem with wrinkles.

Cat hair, on the other hand... Shit that stuff gets everywhere!

Drbob31
10-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Day old dishes. (I don't have a dishwasher).

Ambrosia
10-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Cleaning the cat litter box, hands down.

On a side note, I had a service man here repairing the oven today. He asked me to tell everyone I know not to use the self-clean feature on a day when you are going to need the oven soon, like the day before Thanksgiving. The control that causes the ignition is most likely to burn out during that time and leave you without an oven until the repair person gets there--and he is tired of getting yelled at about ruined Thanksgiving meal plans. :D

tjwriter
Unloading the dishwasher. I friggin haaaaate doing that. Passionately hate doing that. I'd clean ten bathrooms over unloading one load of clean dishes.

This, this, this and more this.

Or clean out the sink after shaving. (some of them)

My husband suffers from this problem. It irritates me greatly.

lucidzfl
Ironing? Whats that? Is that the thing that happens while I am at work that makes my shirts all flat and wrinkle free when I get home?

I always wondered...

SRHowen
10-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I now hate the under the sink, gackkkk, the hand soap thingy on the sink leaked onto the stuff under their. It dried to an alien goo, either that or we have a ghost and it was yellowish ectoplasma left behind. At least it smelled good.

Jehhillenberg
10-07-2011, 02:17 AM
This is the only house I wouldn't mind cleaning.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTW6jN8ntbjlpJJzfCVNVN2u0ERSlXN8 u68VW-1QCKgT6aODhWO

:Thumbs: :roll:

Tepelus
10-07-2011, 02:43 AM
Cleaning up after the pets whenever they do their business on the floor, or puke, or cleaning the litter boxes. A close second is cleaning the shower.

lucidzfl
10-07-2011, 02:51 AM
This, this, this and more this.

My husband suffers from this problem. It irritates me greatly.

I have my own bathroom for doing all my man business in. It is always immaculate. I leave it in perfect condition every morning after all of my pretty-making, so my wife doesn't have to mess with it.